DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I have 2013 ram and did not get the integrated brake controller, the dealership said they would include it with the deal when I bought my camper. After towing the camper for the first pull I heard the brakes humming when I was walking around it, obviously not applying any brakes and the drums were HOT. I have a Hayes Energize XPC installed (which I'm sure is nothing special) but it seems to be applying slight power to the trailer brakes. The RV Dealer came out and looked at it and said the (red) brake wire input, that senses breaking and provides power is constantly hot on the OEM adapter its hooked up to, not providing power only when braking. I took it to the dealer, service guy was an a**hole, but finally took my truck back and said the truck checks out fine. None the less, as soon as I plug in my 7 way the brakes instantly hum. Any Ideas I'm lost, need help!! Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
You have to be very careful when you hookup an after market brake control. I believe the brake signal is on the CAN bus. So it is not a 0 off 12V on signal. I know tekonsha have a special adaptor for the 2013 and up dodges. You may want to talk to hayes to see if the controller is compatable.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yeah, I'm pretty sure there are several aftermarket controllers that won't work with the 2013 & newer Rams. I installed a Curt unit with their 2013 Ram specific harness & it plugged in & seems to work great if you end up looking for a new controller...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Many posts about aftermarket controllers not messhing with 2013+ years. Electronics are very different for these years and the only controller that I would recommend is the dealer installed OEM which also must be flashed. It will probably run you $100.00 more, but it won't void your warranty.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts