DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing a Rostra seat heater kit on my 2012 ram 2500. I checked the body builder site & have searched but I cant find a wire diagram for my truck. Trying to figure out what wire under the seat to tap into?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi,I sell and install aftermarket seat heaters and have installed in 2011 Dodge Rams. Under drivers sill plate there will be the wires you need. There will be a heavy power wire but it won't be switched so you will need to use a 5 pin relay using a lighter wire as the relay trigger wire. I don't off the hand remember what colour the wires are but if you use a tester you should be able to determine it. The ones under the seat won't be switched by the ignition. I hope this helps your install

Steve

·
Registered
36 Posts
After market seat heater install

I sell and install aftermarket seat heaters. The wires under the seat won't work because the aren't switched.Under drivers sill plate you will find the wires that you need. There will be a large power wire but it's not switched so you will need a 5 pin relay as well. In that harness there will be a switched light gauge wire that will be the relay trigger wire. Heavy relay wire to the heavy vehicle wire,the other heavy relay wire to the heated seat wire,then light relay wire to the swithced light wire in the harness and the other to ground. Unfortunately I don't recall the colors because I just use a tester to find what I need. Hope this helps

Steve

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
this is a kit that comes with a switch & all the wiring everything is hook up except the ground & a hot wire that will power off with ignition. So its safe to poke the wires under the seat with a tester? Every thing I read anymore when your working with the wiring has me gun shy that I'm going to set off the air bag!

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
Yes, it's safe to poke around with a volt meter. I have my seat heaters run of of a fuse tap in the fuse box. I found an ignition controlled fuse and tapped off of that then ran back through the fire wall with the 12V power wire and ran through some wire loom between the seats.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Yes, it's safe to poke around with a volt meter"

I don't have power seats but the wire harness is there. So I just poke a wire then turn ignition on & off to find a wire thats ignition controlled?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts