DODGE RAM FORUM banner

after much debate and searching

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  916Timmy 
#1 ·
I've decided to swap out my stock muffler for a Flowmaster 50 HD. I called a local shop a couple of weeks ago and they gave me a "guestimate" of around $250 installed.

I'm gonna call 'em up later this morning and make an appointment for next week to get this done.

I've looked at sound clips on YouTube and elsewhere, and figure that is the way that I want to go. The Magnaflow sounds good too, but it was almost twice the price, and was just a lil bit louder than I'm looking for.

The plan is to just replace the muffler, leaving as much of the factory piping as is possible and leaving both resonators on. My goal is a slightly better sound without being too obnoxious and better flow rate... I believe the FM will accomplish both these goals.

I will update as things progress, and of course I will try to post both before and after sounds clips once everything is done. I'm not sure how successful I will be with this, as I don't have a video camera, and my cell phone has crappy sound quality on the video but I will try.

Exco

See less See more
#3 ·
I did some checking after I posted this. The best price I could find was about $190 plus shipping.

The local shop keeps 'em in stock, and don't need an appointment. You just show up and it's 1st come 1st serve. I'd get it done today, but I've been sitting around waiting on the phone to ring in order to go to work... might get it done when I get back in town, or failing that I'm on vacation next week will surely get it done then if not before

Exco

#6 ·
Can't wait to see pics and video.......I want to find out how loud that is going to be....
please keep us posted

#7 ·
I went the same route you are looking to do, except I went with the Magnaflow 18. I just swapped out the mufflers and left everything else factory. I wanted a slightly better sound then the stock set up without it sounding to loud. I couldnt of been more pleased when it was all said and done. The sound is perfect for what I was looking for. A little deeper and richer with a smoother flow. Total cost for me was 300 bucks and I went with a custom weild instead of clamping. So your price of 250 sounds just about right if they are weilding it.

#8 ·
I've decided to swap out my stock muffler for a Flowmaster 50 HD. I called a local shop a couple of weeks ago and they gave me a "guestimate" of around $250 installed.

I'm gonna call 'em up later this morning and make an appointment for next week to get this done.

I've looked at sound clips on YouTube and elsewhere, and figure that is the way that I want to go. The Magnaflow sounds good too, but it was almost twice the price, and was just a lil bit louder than I'm looking for.

The plan is to just replace the muffler, leaving as much of the factory piping as is possible and leaving both resonators on. My goal is a slightly better sound without being too obnoxious and better flow rate... I believe the FM will accomplish both these goals.

I will update as things progress, and of course I will try to post both before and after sounds clips once everything is done. I'm not sure how successful I will be with this, as I don't have a video camera, and my cell phone has crappy sound quality on the video but I will try.

Exco

I did this exact thing. I love the sound. It is very quiet when cruising, but is loud and sounds great when you get on it.

#10 ·
Not that I can really tell. I put my muffler and air intake on at the same time, and didnt really see any change in MPGs. I put a tuner on and it went up 1 MPG but I think that had to do with the weather change as well. I drive the hell out of the truck and average 15.7-16.5 with a lot of hills and doing 70-85 MPH.

The best thing to do for better MPGs is change your driving style. No mod is going to boost your MPGs in the long run to save you money. They only cost me more because I cant keep my foot out of the gas or my hand off my wallet :LOL:

#11 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.