DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I didn't want to cut or drill holes in the dash so this is what I did.
It is a cup holder adapter for larger cups. Wife put me on a diet so no more Big Gulps for me.
I just cut the top off of it and now I can remove it when not towing.
Sorry for the cell phone pics and the bright sunlight

Attachments

·
Registered
698 Posts
I was curious about something similar. My Express doesn't have EVIC, so getting the more expensive in-dash OEM version controller isn't going to offer much benefit...other than in-dash mounting. I was thinking about using the existing location for the OEM in-dash model and just modding on my own to park it in that slot. I wouldn't cut the dash or such but just use the existing hole. If you get a modern, self-leveling aftermaket unit that has the factory wiring harness plug, and make sure the controls are on the front, it seems like this would work nicely and be out of the way.

Yeah, our truck's lower dash isn't conducive to mounting a controller in the more normal location. I'm going to look hard at mounting in that existing hole for the factory model.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
TNC, why not just go with the factory unit? It's cheap enough to add from other threads I've seen, and easy, and clean. JW because I know my father in law spent more on his aftermarket unit than what others on this forum have added the factory unit for. I don't like the metal bracket and visible wiring of his either, tacky, IMO.

I like the OP's cup holder solution though, looks decent!

·
Registered
698 Posts
TNC, why not just go with the factory unit? It's cheap enough to add from other threads I've seen, and easy, and clean. JW because I know my father in law spent more on his aftermarket unit than what others on this forum have added the factory unit for. I don't like the metal bracket and visible wiring of his either, tacky, IMO.

I like the OP's cup holder solution though, looks decent!
sean, it's been quite awhile since I read that mega-thread on the factory controller. I thought by the time you got the controller and the face plate parts that you were well into $180-$200. I can get two different excellent top line units with all the bells-and-whistles for $120 with free shipping...and they have the factory plug-in harness to our Ram. If I'm wrong on the price of the OEM controller, and you saw a better deal, I'd definitely consider it.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
TNC that's about what I remember from the other thread too (less than $200). I was basing that off what my father in law paid for his aftermarket controller for his F150 which was about $200. If it were me and it was less than a $50 difference I'd still pay a little more to have it factory, but I understand about saving money too lol. Just IMO the time saved to install it into a factory spot (no making brackets or anything) and having it look factory and not put holes anywhere or anything is worth $50...

·
Registered
698 Posts
Yeah, the factory setup is clean and out of the way. I haven't fully decided which way I'll go. I did a quick jury-rig with my old controller just to test out my truck with the trailer, but I definitely want to upgrade my controller, and its design won't allow fitment in the factory hole anyway. The way our truck's lower dash slopes so far down at the floor and at its angle, an old school fitment isn't any good for me.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
^ My only issue with the factory location is that it is hard to see and get to....but it also shows up on the EVIC, so that sort of makes up for it....actually, that's another reason to go factory is to have it on the EVIC...

·
Registered
698 Posts
Yeah, if I had EVIC I'd buy the factory plug-in, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it for the extra money. I've got the one plug under the dash that will allow me to use the factory setup or an aftermarket without having to tear into the harness.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
^that's good. I think if I went aftermarket I'd want to mount it in a better (more visible) area though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts