DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced their exhaust to get a different note, performance, etc.. I'm thinking that I may just take off the resonator and run a downward drop pipe right off the muffler.

·
Registered
17,496 Posts
Hi, Dwight, and thanks for joining the RamforumZ. I encourage you to stop by the Newbie Checkin section and introduce yourself so other members and give you a proper how-do-ya-do.

Good luck on getting your answer.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Has anyone replaced their exhaust to get a different note, performance, etc.. I'm thinking that I may just take off the resonator and run a downward drop pipe right off the muffler.
That resonator and the placement of the tailpipe was engineered by a drunk monkey who is near sighted. Just ugly. No need to buy a tail pipe. Using a sawsall just cut the resonator off about 1/4" inch from the body. then cut the tailpipe off the resonator again about 1/4" from the body. Buy a 3 1/2" to 3 1/2' exhaust connector. The one I used was about 4-5 inches long. You can clamp one end to the tailpipe and the other to the pipe where you cut the resonator off. I actually cut the clamping area off one end of the connector and welded it to the short tailpipe section I cut off and clamped the other end to the exhaust pipe on the truck. Looks much better. There is a slight sound change, but not much. I eventually removed the muffler and exchanged it for a Mufflex. Now it sounds as a 392 CI 410 HP Hemi should.

i put some pics of the modified tailpipe below.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That resonator and the placement of the tailpipe was engineered by a drunk monkey who is near sighted. Just ugly. No need to buy a tail pipe. Using a sawsall just cut the resonator off about 1/4" inch from the body. then cut the tailpipe off the resonator again about 1/4" from the body. Buy a 3 1/2" to 3 1/2' exhaust connector. The one I used was about 4-5 inches long. You can clamp one end to the tailpipe and the other to the pipe where you cut the resonator off. I actually cut the clamping area off one end of the connector and welded it to the short tailpipe section I cut off and clamped the other end to the exhaust pipe on the truck. Looks much better. There is a slight sound change, but not much. I eventually removed the muffler and exchanged it for a Mufflex. Now it sounds as a 392 CI 410 HP Hemi should.

i put some pics of the modified tailpipe below.
Thanks for the info. I was also wondering how it sounds when the MDS kicks in and shuts down 4 cylinders?

·
Registered
216 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a friend who owns Rolling Thunder Exhaust in Illinois. He specializes in Challenger exhausts, he is working on a resonator delete for my 2015 6.4 Hemi 2500. I will post pictures and sound clips when completed!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I had the resonator removed, a piece of pipe fabbed and bent up to replace it with a beveled turn down at the end and installed a Magnaflow SI/SO (single in/single out) muffler to replace the stocker.

I can't get a SI/DO in there as my self leveling rear air suspension tubing, pump and manifold is sitting above the rear axle on the driver's side. No room to run the pipe.

It's all good. No drone to speak of except for right at 1850 - 1950 RPM when it hits MDS and it does sound a LOT better.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had the resonator removed, a piece of pipe fabbed and bent up to replace it with a beveled turn down at the end and installed a Magnaflow SI/SO (single in/single out) muffler to replace the stocker.

I can't get a SI/DO in there as my self leveling rear air suspension tubing, pump and manifold is sitting above the rear axle on the driver's side. No room to run the pipe.

It's all good. No drone to speak of except for right at 1850 - 1950 RPM when it hits MDS and it does sound a LOT better.
Thanks for the info

·
Registered
129 Posts
I just put the Mufflex replacement kit in. Kept the resonator on.... Sounds amazing... almost too loud, but very tolerable.... Rumbles with a lot more authority than my '12 5.7 with Mufflex 18".

·
Registered
129 Posts
For the 2500s, Mufflex offer 2 kits. One with a Muffler, and one "Muffler delete" which is just a straight pipe. Both kits replace the stock Muffler from clamp to clamp. They still keep the resonator and tailpipe. I put on the Muffler kit # DOD250035

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I guess my real issue comes in with this huge silver exhaust pipe protruding from my black on black truck. I can not manage to find a black exhaust for this gas truck. I don't know if a diesel exhaust will work on a gas truck.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Just give it a spray with a rattle can once in a while..... I just painted my resonator and it seems to be holding paint OK.......

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
About this Discussion
71 Replies
43 Participants
RobRobinson87
DODGE RAM FORUM
We’re the ultimate Dodge RAM forum to talk about the RAM 1500, 2500 and 3500 including the Cummins powered models.
Full Forum Listing