• I'm fine with the stock cap

Votes: 17 63.0%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I saw this...

...as a replacement "solution" for the stock cap and wondered...does that simple little stock cap really bother anyone? The aftermarket cap doesn't lock (I would like it if it did) and doesn't seem like it really "solves" any real life problem, just a fancier way to go that few will ever see. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
32,792 Posts
'99 Ram 1500 Quadcab is a gas engine
why are you looking at a diesel cap ?

I have a 2016 eco-diesel & those caps have no threads, they just slip in

so i bought a locking fuel door from AMI

on my '09 Ram 1500 HEMI, i bought a Mopar locking cap

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Me too but I haven't finished adding on offroad stuff so i haven't updated my profile.

I really like that option...did you have the AMI door color matched or were you able to order in your color code? Definitely gonna add that to my new ride! Very cool.

·
Premium Member
32,792 Posts
AMI only comes in Black , Chrome , brushed aluminum, etc.
they do have fairly decent instructions
YOUTUBE videos too

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
If I recall correctly I have seen some threads on here that say the new diesels do not come with a fuel cap. Could this be an after market cap for those that do not like not having a cap at all so they can feel comfortable?

·
Premium Member
32,792 Posts
I wanted a lock of some kind
I don't trust the children & some adults around here
Kids play with sand & will put it anywhere
Some adults are just evil

·
Registered
11 Posts
So I saw this...

...as a replacement "solution" for the stock cap and wondered...does that simple little stock cap really bother anyone? The aftermarket cap doesn't lock (I would like it if it did) and doesn't seem like it really "solves" any real life problem, just a fancier way to go that few will ever see. What do you think?
Imagine yourself in Kansas, normal afternoon with everything blowing sidewise, stopped to top off the tank, pulled the little dixie cup out of the filler and without thinking set it on the tonneau cover . . . and watched it head for the land of Oz. A replacement in Denver cost me $10 for a little freakin' plastic cap!!!! and a two hour drive around a strange town looking for the local Dodge dealer. Sometimes GPS stands for Going Pretty Slow.
Yes that fancy aluminium cap is heavy, has a seal, does not have a hollow that collects water in the rain, and a magnet that lets you stick it to the side of the truck. It cost me $9.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'll ad my 2 cents here and say that having a locking gas cap is a must where I live. People will try (and fail) to syphon your gas and if and more likely when they fail they'll steal your gas cap. The part that gets me is what the hell do they want my cap for?:doh:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just added an AMI locking door to my Ram. The black looked fine on the crystal granite. The wind argument made sense too so now I have a magnetic cap too! LOL

·
Registered
227 Posts
My 2016 did not come with a cap. With my frequent trips to the desert I did not want sand in my fuel tank since the sand storms get pretty knawrly and sand will get in the smallest crevasse. So I went on Amazon and purchased the fuel cap mentioned by the OP.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 2015 Diesel had the aluminum/magnetic one on it when I bought the truck used. Took me a while to figure out it never had a cap from the factory although I suspected it as it doesn't really look factory. I consider any cap a "must have" and since this one is magnetic I would go that way again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts