DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Trying to upgrade the stock radio in my 2000 Ram 1500 and I have 2 wires that I do not know what to do with...I know they are all color coded but I got all the colors matched but the harness that connects to the head unit has a black wire and one of the other harnesses has a orange wire on it and neither has a matching wire to connect to so my question is where do I connect them? Or do I just have to splice them into the matching wire in the original harness?

·
Registered
10,778 Posts
For the instructions for the new radio you could go to the manufacturers website, look up the model and get the instructions there.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Try just googling the brand, model number, and instructions. You should find something that way.
I should’ve figured that the black one is a ground wire which isn’t a big deal for me but the orange one on one of the adapter harnesses I’m not too sure about where to connect but judging from the diagram the orange one in the truck side is for the dimmer? So should I just splice the one on the adapter harness into the factory harness or??? Just trying to figure out what exactly I need to do

·
Registered
10,778 Posts
I’m not sure about that wire. I’ll leave that one for someone else that hopefully knows the correct answer for you.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Trying to upgrade the stock radio in my 2000 Ram 1500 and I have 2 wires that I do not know what to do with...I know they are all color coded but I got all the colors matched but the harness that connects to the head unit has a black wire and one of the other harnesses has a orange wire on it and neither has a matching wire to connect to so my question is where do I connect them? Or do I just have to splice them into the matching wire in the original harness?
Go to Autozone or one of the other parts stores and get an aftermarket wiring harness adapter for your specific vehicle and them connect it to the wires on your new radio and then connect the other end to the factory wiring harness (to the speakers and such) follow the color coding and just plug them in and you will have it, by all means DO NOT CUT AND SPLICE WIRES, that is the worst thing you can do, by using the adapter harness it will be right the first time, no guessing.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Go to Autozone or one of the other parts stores and get an aftermarket wiring harness adapter for your specific vehicle and them connect it to the wires on your new radio and then connect the other end to the factory wiring harness (to the speakers and such) follow the color coding and just plug them in and you will have it, by all means DO NOT CUT AND SPLICE WIRES, that is the worst thing you can do, by using the adapter harness it will be right the first time, no guessing.
I have the vehicle specific adapter harnesses but one of them has an orange wire that doesn’t have a matching wire on the harness for the new radio I was wanting to install and the harness for the new radio also has a black ground wire that doesn’t have a matching wire on the adapter

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have the vehicle specific adapter harnesses but one of them has an orange wire that doesn’t have a matching wire on the harness for the new radio I was wanting to install and the harness for the new radio also has a black ground wire that doesn’t have a matching wire on the adapter
So what does the adapter "orange" wire say its for in the instructions sheet?

·
Registered
2013 Ram 2500 Laramie with 6.7 Cummins
15 Posts
The orange wire on the truck harness is for the dimmer option on some radio’s. Some after markets have that option also. When you turn on your head lights the lights on the radio dim as to not blind you at night or at least be less distracting. Since your radio doesn’t have an orange wire, tape it up with some electrical tape, don’t connect it to anything. It’s not needed with the radio you are installing. As for the black wire. That is a ground wire. If there aren’t any black wires from the truck harness, which I’m almost certain there should be. It may not be solid black, could be black with another color stripe on it. The diagram up above shows black with a light green stripe for the factory ground. If your truck harness has that black with the light green stripe, connect the black wire from the radio to it. If the factory truck harness doesn’t have that wire, then find a screw in the dash that’s screwed into metal. Use a volt meter to make sure it is grounded. If it is, then connect the black wire to that screw. That’s considered a chassis ground. Make sure it’s connected well if using the screw, otherwise it will turn on and off when hitting bumps. Good luck!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The orange wire on the truck harness is for the dimmer option on some radio’s. Some after markets have that option also. When you turn on your head lights the lights on the radio dim as to not blind you at night or at least be less distracting. Since your radio doesn’t have an orange wire, tape it up with some electrical tape, don’t connect it to anything. It’s not needed with the radio you are installing. As for the black wire. That is a ground wire. If there aren’t any black wires from the truck harness, which I’m almost certain there should be. It may not be solid black, could be black with another color stripe on it. The diagram up above shows black with a light green stripe for the factory ground. If your truck harness has that black with the light green stripe, connect the black wire from the radio to it. If the factory truck harness doesn’t have that wire, then find a screw in the dash that’s screwed into metal. Use a volt meter to make sure it is grounded. If it is, then connect the black wire to that screw. That’s considered a chassis ground. Make sure it’s connected well if using the screw, otherwise it will turn on and off when hitting bumps. Good luck!
If the factory harness has an orange wire could I do the same thing to it like with the black wire by connecting the orange wire from the new harness adapter to the orange wire on the factory harness

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.