DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Lots of variables:

• Use (in addition to heat) - do you deep cycle often? Does it stay parked for long periods of time? Do you use accessories with the engine off?
  • What condition is you charging system in?
  • What quality of AGM did you buy? Did you buy an auto parts store brand or pure lead AGM?

What is the full-replacement warranty period for your battery? I would expect it to last at least that long. It will definitely last longer than a flooded battery will IMO.

If it's the OEM battery it's a roll of the dice. There's no way to tell if it will last 1 year, 3 years, 5 years, or more.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Use the truck every day. The battery was replaced on January 2019, so it is about 3.5 years old. But Florida heat is though on batteries. It is AAA battery installed by them.
I read that AGM batteries reaction is with a Gel rather liquid acids and therefore supposed to last 6 to 10 years. But in Florida I don’t know if true. Anybody knows more about it?

·
Registered
75 Posts
If it is an Optima brand then it may not last very long...their quality went downhill many years ago (well documented all over the internet). Other brands like Die-Hard, NorthStar, Exide, etc seem to hold up better. For most vehicles normal flooded-cell batteries work very well and generally last six or seven years.

·
Registered
19 RAM 1500 5.7 Etorque. Falcon Wildpeak AT3W/ JMS PedalMax/weatherTech TechLiner/Gator Quad fold
1,022 Posts
how long are AGM batteries supposed to last in Florida’s heat? I got a 2015 Ram 1500.
Here in Vegas they last 3-5 years on average...but it's also hot as hell here lol. I'm told Humidity doesn't actually play a part in the lifespan but who knows for sure...

·
Registered
356 Posts
If you are willing to spend the $$$ go with pure lead if you are looking for something that will last. I have an X2 Power (North Star) with a 5-year full replacement warranty.

I had these in my last truck (HD diesel) and they were great. Great comes at a price though (~$300).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you are willing to spend the $$$ go with pure lead if you are looking for something that will last. I have an X2 Power (North Star) with a 5-year full replacement warranty.

I had these in my last truck (HD diesel) and they were great. Great comes at a price though (~$300).
I was willing to spend the money but they tested my battery and it is in good shape. They confirmed that even in FL the AGM battery should last 5 to 6 years and mine is just 3 years old. I was a bit concerned because I just changed spark plugs and I am going for long trips this week. Thanks for your advice. Will consider when the battery really goes.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Do you leave your blower motor on all the time or turn it off before you shut down? Learned that when I was working UAE, a lot hotter than Florida.

·
Registered
51 Posts

Interstate H7 AGM battery 36 month warranty $118.00 at Costco.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Get battery tested at AutoZone or similar to check battery health. Have 45,000 miles on 2018, was beginning to worry but test showed battery at 96%. I’ll test again in a few months to see how fast that 96% drops. Can also check lowest voltage while starting if you have a good VOM. Caution - I ain’t no expert on this……

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I thought it only goes on when I turn the engine on.
The compressor yes, I'm talking about the electrical side (blower motor) of it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
My factory battery only lasted 3 years also.

I ponied up for an X2 so am good for at least 5 years now (full replacement warranty) but I'm hoping for 7 years.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts