DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this over in the 4th gen Electrical section, but haven't seen many responses. So if a re-post isn't allowed please delete. Just looking for answers..

I Just purchased a 2016 Ram 1500 4x4 with the 5.7L and 8 speed transmission on 22FEB2016. Since it has the 8 speed I have Active Grille Shutters. At about 400 miles and almost two weeks of ownership, the first of numerous activation's of the check engine light came on. It now has 900 as of 16MAR2016 and the light is on again. The first time it happened I went to the dealer to have it looked at and they couldn't pull any codes related to the CEL, even with the light still on. I didn't ask about stored codes because at the time I didn't know any better, but the service dept should have. After three times of making this trip, the service dept said I should take it back to the dealer I purchased it from because there is a inactive alarm system installed by the selling dealership that may be throwing a code due to an improper install. I did just that. I drove away and on to the selling dealership. When I arrived I explained the whole chain of events and what the previous service department said and what they told me to do. They hooked up their code reader and were able to pull a "stored" code of U-11E9. I was told that this was a communication problem between the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and the Active Grille Shutters (AGS). I was told that there was a TSB regarding this and they would be taking care of it. The TSB was completed and involved flashing the PCM with an update. The engine light cleared and I drove away satisfied that finally a fix was in place. I was driving around the following day and the CEL illuminates again!! So I immediately return to the service department on 16MAR2016 and have them look at it one more time. The tech that performed the work was saying the code returned after reading the codes. He assured me that the shutters were doing what they were suppose to be doing when he tested them. They were completing a self test upon start up indicating a properly functioning system. I read on this forum a post that explained in detail on how the shutters work and decided to observe the self test upon every startup that I could. What I found was that my truck would sometimes not perform a self test testing the range of motion for the shutters. I also remember that every time the CEL came on it was about 30 seconds or so after startup. Which is enough time for the self test to be performed and fail. If it didn't get completed, the CEL would illuminate. My problem is intermittent btw, sometimes it self tests and sometimes it doesn't. I have an appointment where they are going to be keeping the truck on the 23rd. hopefully this is the last trip to the service dept. I still love my truck!

So after my long winded story, Is anyone else having issues with the Active Grille Shutters and getting a stored code of U-11E9?

Did replacing the AGS solve the problem or did it have something to do with the bus between the PCM and AGS?

25 MAR 2016 Update on my situation with DTC U-11E9

Dropped my Ram at the service dept on Wednesday. They replaced the AGS module and fixed a random hazard light issue by replacing the button under the radio. After the AGS module was replaced, the dealership kept the truck to make sure it corrected the problem. The CEL returned after a day at the service dept. Since then, they have contacted Chrysler for further guidance and opened a STAR case. The service dept told me they were going to keep the truck until they hear back from Chrysler engineers regarding the issue. Could be at the earliest a week till I get it back.

I guess I'm the only one with this issue....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Looking for anyone with more information on how exactly the LIN BUS system works and related components. So I have a better understanding of this system. Some sort of wiring diagram would be helpful as well. From what I am gathering the company that makes our AGS system is a company by the name of MAGNA. They also make shutters for Ford and chevy as well as a few others like BMW and subaru. So with that many vehicles on the road, I should be able to find something related to my issue and I can't. Which is leading me to believe a PCM replacement is in order if that is where the master for the AGS system is. Me guessing though.....

This is all for my knowledge, obviously the dealership will be performing the warranty work.

·
Premium Member
32,675 Posts
I am coming up on 500 miles on my 2016 Ram eco-diesel with grille shutters
I hope not to have any issues of any kind

My dealer is Carl Burger in La Mesa, hopefully their service dept. is not the ones that you are dealing with
They have always been up front with me for the last 7 years

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was Rancho off Balboa that I was dealing with and they made me feel like I was annoying them once again every time I went in there. Perry is where I purchased the truck and they have been great so far. Should have taken it to them from the get go. The Service Advisor and Technician have called me a couple times with updates at Perry. Rancho just plain sucks! Hopefully Perry keeps up the good customer service.

·
Registered
129 Posts
sorry to hear about this issue. IM sure if you find a good dealer they will fix it asap. I have 15000 on my ram and have never had problems or really seen many either.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry to hear about this issue. IM sure if you find a good dealer they will fix it asap. I have 15000 on my ram and have never had problems or really seen many either.
Besides the grille shutters, the truck performs great and I love it. I think once I get past this issue I'll be good. It's just a kick in the shorts to buy a brand new truck and a few weeks later I get stuck with a enterprise rental Chrysler 200 and can't drive my truck. The dealership is picking up the cost of the rental and they're doing a good job as a dealership. The whole truck situation is just a bummer.

On a side note, the 200 is fairly nice for a small car.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For those who came across this thread and care to know whats going on with this issue, I have good news for me. It seems that after a two days now with no CEL, the problem has disappeared. After a STAR case was opened on my truck Chrysler wanted the PCM replaced. Seems that did the trick. I don't hear often that cars roll off the assembly line with bad computers, but it happened to me. So if you end up with a U-11E9, lost communication with PCM code for your rig, and replacing the shutters do not fix it, then you may have a bad PCM.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts