DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll post this here because I can't find anything related to the problem I'm having regarding code U-11E9.

I Just purchased a 2016 Ram 1500 4x4 with the 5.7L and 8 speed transmission. Since it has the 8 speed I have Active Grille Shutters. At about 400 miles or so the first of numerous activation's of the check engine light came on. It now has 900 and the light is on again. I went to the dealer to have it looked at and they couldn't pull any codes related to the CEL even with the light still on. I didn't ask about stored codes because at the time I didn't know any better, but the service dept should have. After three times of making this trip, the service dept said I should take it back to the dealer I purchased it from because there is a inactive alarm system installed by the selling dealership that may be throwing a code due to an improper install. I did just that. I drove away and on to the selling dealership. When I arrived I explained the whole chain of events and what the previous service department said and what they told me to do. They hooked up their code reader and were able to pull a "stored" code of U-11E9. I was told that this was a communication problem between the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and the Active Grille Shutters (AGS). I was told that there was a TSB regarding this and they would be taking care of it. The TSB was completed and involved flashing the PCM with an update. The engine light cleared and I drove away satisfied that finally a fix was in place. I was driving around the following day and the CEL illuminates again!! So I immediately return to the service department and have them look at it one more time. The tech that performed the work was saying the code returned after reading the codes. He assured me that the shutters were doing what they were suppose to be doing when he tested them. They were completing a self test upon start up indicating a properly functioning system. I read on this forum a post that explained in detail on how the shutters work and decided to observe the self test upon every startup that I could. What I found was that my truck would sometimes not perform a self test testing the range of motion for the shutters. I also remember that every time the CEL came on it was about 30 seconds or so after startup. Which is enough time for the self test to be performed and fail. If it didn't get completed, the CEL would illuminate. My problem is intermittent btw, sometimes it self tests and sometimes it doesn't. I have an appointment where they are going to be keeping the truck on the 23rd. hopefully this is the last trip to the service dept. I still love my truck!

So after my long winded story, Is anyone else having issues with the Active Grille Shutters and getting a stored code of U-11E9?

Did replacing the AGS solve the problem or did it have something to do with the bus between the PCM and AGS?

·
Premium Member
32,639 Posts
there is not a lot of information about this issue, i did find this

U11E9 is a bus communication code. It may have multiple definitions for different manufacturers and no vehicle information was posted with the question, but this code is used when there is no communication with the active grille shutter module on a Dodge Dart. If the vehicle in question is a Dart then the active grille shutter module wasn't communicating at the time the code set. This is the module that controls the actuation of the shutters in the grille that open and close to control airflow across the radiator.

By the way, welcome from El Cajon

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there is not a lot of information about this issue, i did find this

U11E9 is a bus communication code. It may have multiple definitions for different manufacturers and no vehicle information was posted with the question, but this code is used when there is no communication with the active grille shutter module on a Dodge Dart. If the vehicle in question is a Dart then the active grille shutter module wasn't communicating at the time the code set. This is the module that controls the actuation of the shutters in the grille that open and close to control airflow across the radiator.

By the way, welcome from El Cajon
Thanks for the reply. Pacific Beach here. :wave:

I did find some stuff on the Dart, which I figure would have the same code. Just didn't find any issues like this on our Ram through the forum or a corrective action. Hopefully it's an easy parts swap of the module and my problem goes away. I'll post what the service departments solution is and if it works or not. In all visits the code has showed stored and not active..

·
Registered
690 Posts
I don't remember my code but it was active grill shutter and they were replaced due to one was broke.
A factory problem. It was replaced while I waited and no problems since.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update on my situation with DTC U-11E9:

Dropped my Ram at the service dept on Wednesday. They replaced the AGS module and fixed a random hazard light issue by replacing the button under the radio. After the AGS module was replaced, the dealership kept the truck to make sure it corrected the problem. The CEL returned after a day at the service dept. Since then, they have contacted Chrysler for further guidance and opened a STAR case. The service dept told me they were going to keep the truck until they hear back from Chrysler engineers regarding the issue. Could be at the earliest a week till I get it back.

I guess I'm the only one with this issue....

·
Registered
36 Posts
my 2014 Ram with 23,000 miles on it had the CEL come on Saturday.
I ran the codes, and found 2.
U11e9
P26ab This is the coolant bypass code
I did not buy the truck new, I have only had it for a month.
I am taking it to the dealer today, and hope they can fix it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2014 RAM Active Shutter

Thanks for your post CoastGuard...I ALSO have just encountered this CEL with code on my CPO truck with less
than 19,000 miles on it. I've had the truck since OCT and it didn't occur until after it got cold and wet out.
I'll be curious what your final outcome is. I just scheduled dealer service on this since it is Certified Preowned.
Want to find the details on the TSB before I invest a ton of time in this issue. ... does anyone have them?
I'm also looking to learn what the downside is if I simply reset the code when it comes on.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine ended up being a communication issues between the PCM and the grille shutters. Replacing the grille shutters failed to correct my problem. The issue ended up being the PCM itself. So far no other problems with it. You can check operation of the shutters after starting your truck. They should move to the closed position and back open again to perform a self check. It does this to check one stop to the other. There's some other parameters that dictate when they're open and closed, but it should always perform this check upon start up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't remember my code but it was active grill shutter and they were replaced due to one was broke.
A factory problem. It was replaced while I waited and no problems since.
H
I'll post this here because I can't find anything related to the problem I'm having regarding code U-11E9.

I Just purchased a 2016 Ram 1500 4x4 with the 5.7L and 8 speed transmission. Since it has the 8 speed I have Active Grille Shutters. At about 400 miles or so the first of numerous activation's of the check engine light came on. It now has 900 and the light is on again. I went to the dealer to have it looked at and they couldn't pull any codes related to the CEL even with the light still on. I didn't ask about stored codes because at the time I didn't know any better, but the service dept should have. After three times of making this trip, the service dept said I should take it back to the dealer I purchased it from because there is a inactive alarm system installed by the selling dealership that may be throwing a code due to an improper install. I did just that. I drove away and on to the selling dealership. When I arrived I explained the whole chain of events and what the previous service department said and what they told me to do. They hooked up their code reader and were able to pull a "stored" code of U-11E9. I was told that this was a communication problem between the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and the Active Grille Shutters (AGS). I was told that there was a TSB regarding this and they would be taking care of it. The TSB was completed and involved flashing the PCM with an update. The engine light cleared and I drove away satisfied that finally a fix was in place. I was driving around the following day and the CEL illuminates again!! So I immediately return to the service department and have them look at it one more time. The tech that performed the work was saying the code returned after reading the codes. He assured me that the shutters were doing what they were suppose to be doing when he tested them. They were completing a self test upon start up indicating a properly functioning system. I read on this forum a post that explained in detail on how the shutters work and decided to observe the self test upon every startup that I could. What I found was that my truck would sometimes not perform a self test testing the range of motion for the shutters. I also remember that every time the CEL came on it was about 30 seconds or so after startup. Which is enough time for the self test to be performed and fail. If it didn't get completed, the CEL would illuminate. My problem is intermittent btw, sometimes it self tests and sometimes it doesn't. I have an appointment where they are going to be keeping the truck on the 23rd. hopefully this is the last trip to the service dept. I still love my truck!

So after my long winded story, Is anyone else having issues with the Active Grille Shutters and getting a stored code of U-11E9?

Did replacing the AGS solve the problem or did it have something to do with the bus between the PCM and AGS?
hi there I have a 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 and i bought it from action it was involved in front end collision And it damaged the active grille shutters including the plug and now I have cables sticking out from trucks harness does anyone have the wiring diagram where the cables go to that plug from harness ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts