DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When aiming your headlights I was told to park 25 ft from a blank wall(or garage door) on a level surface. The only part missing was how far from the ground the center of the light should be when it was shining on the door(or wall). Does anyone know??? Dealership says that Dodge does not publish that information for their tech's.
Thanks,
Jay

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
You should have 2 inches of drop in that distance.....:smileup::smileup:..Rob

·
Banned
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Two inches from what????????? The question is when the lights shine on the wall, how many inches from the ground is the center of the beam on the wall, if you are parked 25 feet from the wall? Maybe I need someone with a stock truck to pull their truck up to within 25 feet of their garage door and measure from the ground up to the center of the light beam and give me that distance. I'm just tired of my headlights shinning in the eyes of drivers that are coming towards me and having them blink their lights at me.
Jay

·
Registered
194 Posts
What I have read and do is pull your truck right up to that blank wall. I mean have your bumper touch the wall or darn close. Turn on your lights adn mark the center of the light on the wall. Back your truck up 25ft and you should have no more than the 2 inches of drop from your start point. Hope this helps you.

Gary

·
Banned
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't mean to be a dumb ass about this but when you pull your stock, unlifted or unleveled truck up to the wall, what is the height of the center of the beam of light from the ground? 40"----35"-----30"------25" or ????? from the ground. Sorry, I guess I'm just to old to understand----LOL
Jay

·
Registered
116 Posts
I understand your frustration.

I too have often wondered to what height to make them.

What the above is saying to do, is pull the nose up to the wall, turn on the headlights (the beam should be pretty close to the center of the light), back up 25 feet, and remeasure...he is saying you should only have a 2" drop from that distance.

Make sense?

I did mine that way, I think he may have helped me too. I get great vision (no fogs) at night, and have yet to be flashed.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Seltzer and ArmyRXP is correct, but..., you must make sure the area you're doing your checking is dead flat. If the area your testing has a few inch rise or dip it's going to throw your adjustment off.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Seltzer and ArmyRXP is correct, but..., you must make sure the area you're doing your checking is dead flat. If the area your testing has a few inch rise or dip it's going to throw your adjustment off.
Good point. I remember the first time I tried aiming my headlights at our first house...the driveway went uphill....I figured, well, the truck is not level, but neither is the driveway, so that should cancel each other out....WRONG!

He's absolutely right...as easy as these are to adjust...you might consider going to the carwash or find a building/parking lot close by if your driveway isn't flat and level.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
What I have read and do is pull your truck right up to that blank wall. I mean have your bumper touch the wall or darn close. Turn on your lights adn mark the center of the light on the wall. Back your truck up 25ft and you should have no more than the 2 inches of drop from your start point. Hope this helps you.

Gary
:iagree: Or you can park your truck 25ft away,from a wall on level surface,turn on your lights,measure from the ground to the the center of the beam of light directly in front of your truck,go to what your lights are shining on,the center of the beam should be 2 inches lower than your first measurement...:smileup::smileup::smileup:..Rob

·
Registered
194 Posts
Jay,

No worries, not too sure on the measurements just have done it this way and works pretty well. I do remember my grandfather doing ti the measuring way you describe. I do remember this, just seems easier doing the level ground and back up. I remember the standard height was different for each vehicle and Chiltons used to have this and was a specific distanc from a wall, this is a simpler and easier way to do it is all.

Gary

·
Registered
116 Posts
I remember the plastic cups with the dot that you hung over your headlights to aim them.

Never used them, but sold a crap load of them in the early 90's.

·
Banned
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe i'm just to simple. It seems to me that there should be a "standard" height. For example--a stock truck, 25 feet from the wall the center of the light should be 30" from the ground. If it is 35" then the lights are 5" to high and need to be lowered 5". If the height is 25" from the ground, then the lights are 5" low and need to be raised 5".
What am I missing here?????????????
Jay

·
Registered
116 Posts
Nothin man...you're thinking too much about it! Not all trucks and cars and vans are the same height. While I'm sure someone could make a standard, with a chart like you are describing, but nobody would adhere to it.

Get them close to where you want them, drive at night, see if you like them, adjust as needed! As simple as these are to raise and lower, you could do it on the side of the road!

·
Banned
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys!!! I'm done for now---my head hurts--:4-dontknow:
Jay

·
Registered
868 Posts
When you pull your truck right up to the wall, mark where the center of the beam is...Then measure how high it is from the ground, that will give you the answer you have been asking. The measurement to the ground is really not needed as long as you under the legal high set by your state. Once you mark the center of the beam back up 25' and mark the center of the beam again, it shouldn't be more than 2" lower than the first mark you made.

When I did mine I rode up and down the road at night making adjustments until I liked the way they shined, I didn't get flashed by others so it's acceptable IMO.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts