DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see the air dam is pretty low on my new 4x4. :smiledown: I know it's there probably to try and get another 1 mpg on the hwy, but it looks like it seriously limits the offroad ability of the truck

I'm a bit worried it might rip off on a 15" snow bank, creek crossing or similar. If this happens, would it take the front bumper with it?

Or is it designed to shear off without messing up the bumper? In which case I can just drive it til it happens be that 3 days or 3 years.:doh:

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
It's plastic so it should rip before the bumper (which ur's appears to be the chrome) U could always take the underside one off, I also took my plastic insert in the lower part out.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I scraped mine up pretty good going up an incline, so I ended up just pulling it off. I didn't notice any perceptible difference in mileage, and the truck looks better without it IMHO.

·
Registered
15,696 Posts
i am going to insert some of my jeep mentality hear. leave it alone, if beaks or rips off, means you didn't need it or time to upgrade.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I too thought it was pretty low, so I put the billstien 5100's on to give me some more ground clearance and I love the look so killed two birds with one stone.

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
I have bounced (I mean BOUNCED) my front bumper off the ground (Crawling into a ditch), my air dam is a little scuffed up, but nothing serious. Cant tell unless you crawl under the damn truck anyway LOL.

That thing is tough.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I too thought it was pretty low, so I put the billstien 5100's on to give me some more ground clearance and I love the look so killed two birds with one stone.

I did that too, but i took it off also. The truck look way higher now.

Before

After

And the best part. My millage remain the same as before.

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
Come to think of it, I forded a river with it on there too. I tell ya, these trucks are tough. Show me another truck, that STOCK can ford 30" of water without flinching?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did that too, but i took it off also. The truck look way higher now.

Before

After

And the best part. My millage remain the same as before.
Great before and after! Thanks! I also like the idea that if it gets ripped off, it gets ripped off and not to worry about it

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I broke mine off the bolts at both corners within the first 1000 miles of the trucks life. (sand dune)
So I just took it off and realized it looks better without it. heh.

Reactions: Jary

·
Registered
11 Posts
i have hit my air dam on tons of rocks.. sticks.. running over trees.. ect... and its still holding on strong.. all scuffed up but still on there... but i did dent the bumper from the underside... the new bumpers arent what they used to be... and the low front bumpers really reduce the approach angle. so all in all i think its just preference... if you like it.. keep it.. if you dont.. take it off...

·
Registered
47 Posts
my 08 is still on and last wk i hit a ditch/culvurt on some black ice at 100kms 60 mph i think its staying on. brothers is still on as well and he uses his 4x4 alot!!! he had a jeep before and its no longer on the road for a reason lol

·
Registered
61 Posts
2018 I bought with 32K air dam was gone-looked like truck went off in mud & snow/no cooling problems&does give me ideas to make my own steel bumper.Front inner fender(driver&passenger) plastic cut out,seems snow&ice was big issue in Wyoming where truck came from

1 - 15 of 15 Posts