DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Air Suspension lift

80K views 152 replies 64 participants last post by  Thunderhorse 
#1 · (Edited)
Thought I'd post this if others would like to try. All I did was replace the stock sensor links with ones I could adjust. This tricks the computer into thinking the truck is sitting lower and then raises it accordingly.
Used 8mm stainless ball joints and M5 stainless rod. The front link is approximately 1/2" shorter than stock and the rear link is 1/2" longer than stock.
Right now my normal ride height is the same as offroad 2 was and I can go up from there and it seems to be ok.
I have been researching this for some time and just didn't have the time to do it as we have a 15 month old at home. Did this while she was napping so it only took about 2 hours in total.
Ball joints have inner and outer clip, so no worry about them coming off.

See less See more
#2 ·
I've been going to do this same thing on my 14, but the same issue as you had, I just havent had any time yet. Do you have a part number for those ball joints? That would just save me some time looking for the correct ones. I assume when you get it where you like it you'll align the front end? or did you already? Thanks

#5 ·
Thanks for posting and tackling this. I've been thinking about how abouts to adjust this beast. The ball joints pop on/off with pressure alone, or is there a click of sorts? I'm assuming that the 1/2" longer rear link lowers the rear to level it more? Or are the front and rear sensor locations reversed (above/below the link), I don't recall now. I see a marketable kit in your future!! Keep us posted please.

#7 ·
Wait a minute!!! How does this work exactly? I think this might solve my leaning issue no?

My truck leans to the driver's side. Several of us with air suspension have this issue and if we can somehow manually adjust something to trick the computer that may work.

Thoughts?

Jason

#8 ·
I have the same issue but its a .25-1 inch lower on the passenger side.. Iam going to make a set and see if there is a differance. I did just go to dealer for several software updates to ASM(Air Suspension Module) TCM & PCM. its cleaned it up a little but not perfect...

#9 ·
Oakram,

How recent were the ASM updates? My truck is just a few months old so not sure if there are any new updates. Does RAM post something somewhere to alert owners of updates? Or is it only in the dealer computers?

I anxiously await your results of your experiment with this tweak. :)

Jason

#10 ·
They must have been very recent go in to see the service department. They don't post anything, you have to go in for them to check your vin to see if the updates were done.

#12 ·
Oakram,

Taking my rig in today for the ASCM update. My dealership says it is related to the battery being drained by the system. I've gotten a couple warnings of low battery last couple weeks. They are not sure what else if anything it does to the leveling system.

And yesterday I discovered my first dent! Some a-hole manages to dent my beautiful tailgate!!!! Damn it. I think it can be fixed by paintless dent repair. I hope.

Jason

#15 ·
BurninVernon

Yeah i double checked this as well on a flat and level surface and the passenger side is lower by 1/2-1/4 inch, guess its time to make some lift leavers....

#16 ·
Oakram,

The only problem making the linkage is that the ball joint solution posted above is with parts purchased from the UK. Looks like a total pain to order. I looked for them in the U.S. but I can't seem to find any.

However, I looked at the linkage and because of their shape it may be possible to "pinch" them in a vice and therefore make them a bit longer. So you wouldn't need to buy anything new, just tweak your existing ones.

I also priced out the parts and the linkage comes in the same box as the sensors. $118 for each front and $121 for each rear. Not cheap.

It may also be possible to work with someone who can work with metal and fabricate an adjustable linkage by cutting and welding some new bits tot he old sockets.

Why didn't RAM make these linkages adjustable? Would solve this problem easily.

Jason

#18 ·
Floyd,

Thanks for that lead. Can I ask you a couple questions?

1. Did you take any precautions before you pulled the stock linkage off? Will the truck "fall down" if you remove the linkage when the truck is supporting it's own weight?

2. Did you replace the RAM ball studs with the aftermarket? If so, did they just screw in? I can't tell from your pics.

3. Can you give us the exact sizes and lengths of the parts you used? i.e. How long is the rod and what size ball stud and joint did you use? I see you reference 8mm above?

4. Is the anything else we need to know? Do the joints just "snap on" to the studs or is there some kind of retention mechanism?

Sorry I am full of questions, but I want to do this right without buying the wrong stuff.

Any info is appreciated.

Jason

#19 ·
1.No precautions taken and as long as you don't move the lever on the sensor too much nothing will happen.

2. I didn't change the ball studs

3. It was 8mm ball stud and will see if I can get some measurements.

4. They do just snap on and have a internal retention ring as well as an external.

#22 ·
Guys,

Ok I talked to John at adjustableairride.com (nice guy) and the RAM linkage can be for either lowering or raising. You have to specify which you want when you order. Now be aware that these are gonna set you back a pretty penny at $300.

If you are lazy like me maybe pay for them and don't tell the wife, or if you are on a budget build your own solution for cheaper.

Jason

#23 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm happy to announce my lean issue is fully resolved. If anyone else has a lean with the air suspension, there is an easy fix. However, as mentioned above it is not cheap. But it works great.

Here are some pics to show my results. It's a little hard to tell by looking just at the truck itself. There was some camera tilt plus my driveway has a slight slope to it so it is hard to eyeball, but the bubble level tells the tale. Now with the new linkage installed I have been able to correct it. Check out these pics of before and after.

My solution was to by the adjustable linkage mentioned in the posts above from www.adjustableairride.com. The owner John was extremely helpful when I contacted him. There is a kit especially for the RAM 1500. When ordering you must indicate whether you want to lift or lower your truck.

Overall I am glad I was able to correct RAM's mistake, but this solution is a bit pricey. However, it was extremely easy to apply.

If you have any questions let me know.

Jason

#32 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm happy to announce my lean issue is fully resolved. If anyone else has a lean with the air suspension, there is an easy fix. However, as mentioned above it is not cheap. But it works great.

Here are some pics to show my results. It's a little hard to tell by looking just at the truck itself. There was some camera tilt plus my driveway has a slight slope to it so it is hard to eyeball, but the bubble level tells the tale. Now with the new linkage installed I have been able to correct it. Check out these pics of before and after.

My solution was to by the adjustable linkage mentioned in the posts above from www.adjustableairride.com. The owner John was extremely helpful when I contacted him. There is a kit especially for the RAM 1500. When ordering you must indicate whether you want to lift or lower your truck.

Overall I am glad I was able to correct RAM's mistake, but this solution is a bit pricey. However, it was extremely easy to apply.

If you have any questions let me know.

Jason
That's excellent news Jason.

By how much did you adjust them?

#27 ·
Hey guys, I just made my own links. Is anyone interested in therm?
PM me with your email or cell number and I will send you pics of my truck.

Options:

with just the front links the truck comes out fully leveled.
I can show you how to adjust the rear so you can have a slight rake if you would want.
Or I can make the rear links.

-mike

my Setup. Stock 20x10.5 Sports wheels, 33x12.5x20 Atturo tires, 1.5 hub centric spacers all around, my level kit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.