DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to swap out my air ride suspension on my 2013 Ram 4wd crewcab. I off road a lot and get in to some back country and the air ride just inst reliable. I just had it fail on me and I'm installing some manual air filling valves to get me by until I can find the necessary parts to make the swap. Has anyone tried to swap an air ride system with a stock 4wd suspension? It seems like it should work with just a few modifications. Not worried about the computer error on the dash as I see it enough as it is. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,201 Posts
Sorry I can't offer any advice on your situation. But I do have to say, sweet truck! That is a rugged, utilitarian setup for sure. Good luck, I'm sure someone with a few ideas will be along.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So here is my thoughts. Front 2.5 leveling struts for the front and Rancho shocks for the rear. Heavy duty springs for the rear and spacers for front and back. The truck is made to be high up in offroad 2 which is almost 4" higher than stock so Im guessing if I go this route and get an alignment after install I should be fine. Again any help would be great.

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
Don't mix those 3" spacers with the Rancho struts before asking Rancho if it'll be ok to do so. As for the rear springs, the say 2"-4" already without spacers, check them out without any spacers and see where they'll put you. You seem to have quite a bit oh weight everywhere hahaha, nice truck.

What kind of carrier/basket do you have in the roof ? and how about the bed carrier, does you rear bumper includes the spare carrier, what awning is that ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I did it. Swapped out the air suspension with spring suspension. Didint need to use the spacers art all. THe front spring struts put my fender at 39" where it was at when I had the linkage mode on the air ride. 295/65/20 Grabber x3 fit the same with out rubbing. The rear springs work great, 1" inch higher than before. I'm guessing that will come down when I put a load on it. It rides great and handles great. No more worrying about suspension failing in the back country.

RSMRAM, I have a Smitty built basket on the roof. Bolt holes are threaded and sealed in to the cab roof. Custom bed rack I made to carry all my gear and roof tent. Also the Tire Carrier swing gate is also custom I made.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Here are some pics of the install.
Came out great, how heavy is your front bumper ? I have the Rancho QL setup in the front and have been looking at some bumpers as well, but was worried they were not going to hold weight, looking at your setup, it seems they can hold some without issues :)

I replaced my rear springs with Icon 1.5" coil springs, as the rear sagged some after adding a full spare in 315 inside the bed, and that was just 100lbs, i gained 1" with the icons and those 100lbs in the bed, so i'm currently sitting at 39 1/4 in the front, and 41 3/8" in the back, want to add some rock sliders (white knucle, they're 100lbs each), front and rear steel bumper, gas tank skid, and do a bed rack, and posibly a roof rack, i'll start with a bed rack as i need the space, and as funds are availabe, keep adding little by little.

I also added longer Rancho shocks (Rancho RS999269, 27 3/8" extended as opposed to the factory height 25.5" that come with the Rancho QL's if you go with their rear shocks, and 17" compressed) as i do offroad the truck as well, and wanted to fully use the extra lenght of the Icon springs.

Untitled by Wrangler RSM, on Flickr

Had to add 1" bumptops in the back as well to protect the springs and the new shocks.

This is how they sit wihout the bumpstop

The Icons springs are so tough i couldn't compress them more than this, hence the reason i added 1" bumpstop as well

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rsmram, not sure how heavy my front or rear bumpers are but the suspension didnt drop with either the airride nor the new spring set up. Fron floor to bottom of fender is 39" and I'm running 35" tires. The rear is 40"

I have it loaded down with swing gate spare tire two gas cans rooftop tent deep cell battery. No sag at all

·
Registered
288 Posts
I hear ya! One hole in an air bag and you are not going anywhere. Gutted my '14 Ram and replaced it with a 6" BDS lift kit. I spend weeks at a time in the backcountry in places where few people go...gotta be able to get out on my own.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice Truck BC, I'll most likely get the BDS lift next year. Heading out to AZ and Utah on Wednesday for 5 days. Will see how the new suspension holds up. All loaded up ready to go.

Attachments

·
Registered
288 Posts
Sweet

Nice Truck BC, I'll most likely get the BDS lift next year. Heading out to AZ and Utah on Wednesday for 5 days. Will see how the new suspension holds up. All loaded up ready to go.

VERY NICE RIDE! So I'm guessing you're SAR. That camp pic i posted on the previous pager was set up in AZ between Kingman & Seligman. Took these guys in Utah near Fishlake.

Love those two states, very hunter-friendly.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Here are some pics of the install.
thank you for sharing, I'm thinking of doing the same,.

how did it went for install? was something missing?

any lights in the dash after? maybe the dealer can turn them off if any

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I took the truck out to northern Arizona and Southern Utah. Logged 1300 miles. Went over some pretty crazy terrain in the day and night. The new suspension work flawlessly. I'm sure the air ride would of failed on this trip. So glad I swapped. Next step is to convert the air ride system in to a tire filler to fill the tires after air down.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
I have not yet

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm looking to swap out my air ride suspension on my 2013 Ram 4wd crewcab. I off road a lot and get in to some back Nox Vidmate VLC country and the air ride just inst reliable. I just had it fail on me and I'm installing some manual air filling valves to get me by until I can find the necessary parts to make the swap. Has anyone tried to swap an air ride system with a stock 4wd suspension? It seems like it should work with just a few modifications. Not worried about the computer error on the dash as I see it enough as it is. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
I do have to say, sweet truck! That is a rugged, utilitarian setup for sure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts