DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I'm on my 2nd RAM 1500 (2014 sport & 2019 Limited); both have had air suspension. Beautiful cars, great ride and can't think of anything I'd rather be driving. I chose air for maximum comfort on long journeys.
Over use of salt on these UK roads meant that some corrosion caused a leak after a couple of years on the 2014 (123,000 miles); it kept going though. 2019 (70,000 miles), no issues as yet.

I've been told, that as I don't tow very often (and when I do, it's a very light load for a RAM max. 1,400kg) I'd be better of without air suspension.

What do you guys think; my next RAM 1500 air or no air?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Over the years ive owned several Lincoln town cars, a couple cadillacs, and a continental, all with air suspension and all with problems. I never went over two years without something going wrong. Most times i finally ripped out the air ride and replaced it with standard suspension. Generally the ride was almost as good except i lost the auto leveling features. I would NEVER buy another vehicle with air suspension. Its just not worth the hassle to me. Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
i just ripped out my air and i find the ride better.. Remember these things are coil sprung and have a much better ride than a leaf suspension truck
I've had Rams with and without air suspension. The only real benefit was a level truck with a big load and the lowering that occurs slightly at cruising speed on the highway. I can't really tell the difference between the ride with either suspension.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'd get air but I haul heavy often. Haven't had it in one of my trucks but have used some with it. And I work on bigger trucks often with air systems so finding and fixing leaks is a common thing for me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi!
I'm on my 2nd RAM 1500 (2014 sport & 2019 Limited); both have had air suspension. Beautiful cars, great ride and can't think of anything I'd rather be driving. I chose air for maximum comfort on long journeys.
Over use of salt on these UK roads meant that some corrosion caused a leak after a couple of years on the 2014 (123,000 miles); it kept going though. 2019 (70,000 miles), no issues as yet.

I've been told, that as I don't tow very often (and when I do, it's a very light load for a RAM max. 1,400kg) I'd be better of without air suspension.

Hi!

I love the RAM Air system on my Limited. Gives you a great ride and versatility of choosing ride height. The load/unload is a great feature. The Aero height does save fuel and I believe softens the highway ride also. Wonderful engineering!

·
Registered
111 Posts
My daughter-in-law just bought a jeep grand cherokee summit with air suspension. She’s had it two weeks and wants to trade it for another jeep without air ride. She says it’s too bouncy and leans too much on curves. She’s tried every ride position available to no avail.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My daughter-in-law just bought a jeep grand cherokee summit with air suspension. She’s had it two weeks and wants to trade it for another jeep without air ride. She says it’s too bouncy and leans too much on curves. She’s tried every ride position available to no avail.
Has she rode in a same model Jeep with out air? She may be more disappointed.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I love the RAM Air system on my Limited. Gives you a great ride and versatility of choosing ride height. The load/unload is a great feature. The Aero height does save fuel and I believe softens the highway ride also. Wonderful engineering!
Actually no it does not save you fuel it take more.. I have a nice long streatch of hwy that i tested on several times and i gained fuel econ by leaving the areo off. Now that i deleted the air i still get better econ than i did running in areo mode. Since their is no way the truck can stay perfectly aligned when it drops down you are creating extra drag on the tires. Go to any shop that does alignments and they will tell you the system is crap

·
Registered
14 Posts
Actually no it does not save you fuel it take more.. I have a nice long streatch of hwy that i tested on several times and i gained fuel econ by leaving the areo off. Now that i deleted the air i still get better econ than i did running in areo mode. Since their is no way the truck can stay perfectly aligned when it drops down you are creating extra drag on the tires. Go to any shop that does alignments and they will tell you the system is crap
Sorry, my results are different. The way the system operates it does nothing to change front end angles. It simply lowers the body on the frame. Less air passing under any vehicle equates to less drag.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry, my results are different. The way the system operates it does nothing to change front end angles. It simply lowers the body on the frame. Less air passing under any vehicle equates to less drag.
I'm sorry it does not lower the body on the frame. Yo can observe the truck transitioning from the lowest setting to the highest and see there is absolutely no change in camber or "alignment" whatsoever.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yes it does change the geometry.. if their was no change then u would not have to put it in alignment mode so the suspension would not change. I also used to have the alignment sheets showing the diffrence between the diffrent levels

1 - 13 of 13 Posts