DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my truck has been burning oil for a while... and with the tax return $$$ I'm going to finally fork out money to get it repaired. However, I'm not just going to replace the plenum pan gasket. That would be a waste of money....

I'm going big and going for the air gap by hughes. For those that don't know about it, look into it. www.hughesengines.com. They've got lots of goodies for our engines. Maybe I'll go crazy and do a cam also, I doubt it. I'll also be re-listing my superchips tuner on the site for around ~$200 for you guys to buy so I can upgrade to the SCT. The superchips tuner is a great option for lightly modified engines. And it removes the speed limiter, I've tested it, trust me. It works!

Anyways, this is a few weeks out from now but I'll post pictures here and there and new videos. I'm really stoked!

·
Registered
187 Posts
wish i had the money for the airgap.. im just gonna do the kegger mod till i can afford

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have chosen a cam that I'm going to install along with my airgap. The whiplash cam for the 5.9. I contacted hughes and asked about the combination of the SCT, whiplash, and the airgap. The representative said he couldn't think of a better combination. I'll have to upgrade my valve springs and retainers but hey, I can keep my stock heads. Not bad! Whiplash cams give very aggressive low end torque (hence the name 'whiplash'), which is perfect for the air gap (which gives more high end). Everything is finally going to come together!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have chosen a cam that I'm going to install along with my airgap. The whiplash cam for the 5.9. I contacted hughes and asked about the combination of the SCT, whiplash, and the airgap. The representative said he couldn't think of a better combination. I'll have to upgrade my valve springs and retainers but hey, I can keep my stock heads. Not bad! Whiplash cams give very aggressive low end torque (hence the name 'whiplash'), which is perfect for the air gap (which gives more high end). Everything is finally going to come together!
I originally bought one of the barrel kegger intake plates from hughes. It worked great! After saving some more money I bought one of their F1 Air-gap intakes a few months back. The truck definitely feels more responsive, after the computer learned it. It was a nicely put together kit. Only thing I didn't like was the cheap vacuum plugs. But thats easily fixed. I've been pretty happy with Hughes Engines so far.

I would like to see if your combo works. Right now I don't have the cash for new heads but have been looking at buying their SCT tuner and whiplash cam. You'll have to let everyone know how that works out. :smileup:

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I originally bought one of the barrel kegger intake plates from hughes. It worked great! After saving some more money I bought one of their F1 Air-gap intakes a few months back. The truck definitely feels more responsive, after the computer learned it. It was a nicely put together kit. Only thing I didn't like was the cheap vacuum plugs. But thats easily fixed. I've been pretty happy with Hughes Engines so far.

I would like to see if your combo works. Right now I don't have the cash for new heads but have been looking at buying their SCT tuner and whiplash cam. You'll have to let everyone know how that works out. :smileup:
Oh sweet! Well I'm glad to hear another good review about the air gap. Cash is tight here as well. I just got my tax return today and have some other things to pay off. Im buying my tuner from hemifevers website, it's cheaper than Hughes. Total, I'm looking at approximately 1500. A lot for a college kid for sure, but I'll finally achieve that satisfaction of being "done". After that, I want to do a disc brake conversion and bring the rear down a little more and call it complete.

·
Registered
187 Posts
i just ordered the m1 intake manafold was told works alot better with cam and heads so that my goal is cam so thats wut i ordered

·
Registered
67 Posts
i did the hughes airgap intake early last year, straight forward swap and liked the results. my gas mileage did not change very much at all but the difference in towing the boat was great.
They give up low end power and torque for gains on the top end so towing really shouldnt be any better unless your towing at over 3,000 rpm? in any case it would be a bit more sluggish getting up to speed in most cases... Depending on your other mods done at the same time though you could have gained low end over stock from those mods to compensate..

·
Registered
67 Posts
i did the hughes airgap intake early last year, straight forward swap and liked the results. my gas mileage did not change very much at all but the difference in towing the boat was great.
They give up low end power and torque for gains on the top end so towing really shouldnt be any better unless your towing at over 3,000 rpm? in any case it would be a bit more sluggish getting up to speed. But depending on the other mods you may have done at the same time they may have compensated for the loss of low end the manifold usually gives...

·
Registered
187 Posts
whats the news on the airgap is it on.. if so when can we expect some pics and videos of her running?

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm sorry to leave everybody hanging. Loads of bad news really. My heater core went out. I was driving home from work, and noticed my windows were getting foggy. To top it off, my glove box was filled with coolant. I took it to the shop, cost $850 to get it repaired. Thats a major set-back for me... Even worse news is that my teacher declined to tear into the engine to do the camshaft swap. I think instead, I'll go with HS 1.7r rocker arms... I know, most cams don't work with those but to be honest, unless I could install a cam myself, I'll never get around to having the money to have somebody to do it, or be able to find somebody that knows how.

However, the airgap is FOR SURE happening.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I finally have positive news. I was hanging out with a few friends today and was talking about being bummed that I couldn't do what i wanted to initially. They said why don't you have such-n-such's dad do it. The guy builds race engines... I'm an idiot. So i'm in contact with him. I sent him the link to all the parts from hughes, he has relations with comp cams and is going to look for a comparable cam for much cheaper. I'm pumped. It's game on now.

My dad also seemed interested in the build... he wanted me to gather some prices together. I think he's going to help me out. It felt like a part of me died when I was denied by some shops (colleges, Lol) to do the install. Game on guys.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I finally have positive news. I was hanging out with a few friends today and was talking about being bummed that I couldn't do what i wanted to initially. They said why don't you have such-n-such's dad do it. The guy builds race engines... I'm an idiot. So i'm in contact with him. I sent him the link to all the parts from hughes, he has relations with comp cams and is going to look for a comparable cam for much cheaper. I'm pumped. It's game on now.

My dad also seemed interested in the build... he wanted me to gather some prices together. I think he's going to help me out. It felt like a part of me died when I was denied by some shops (colleges, Lol) to do the install. Game on guys.
Sorry to hear your heater core went bust. Dodge put them in a very convenient spot. Been there, not a fun job at all. Luckily, mine just got plugged and wasn't leaking. My dad helped me fix it. Its definitely a 2 man job (moving the dash).

I did have the chance this week to pull my dad's utility trailer on the highway with my truck. His ranger is currently broke, parked in the garage (power steering pump failed). Rather funny watching him try to pull it with a 4-cyl ranger that has 480k miles on it ( t..t..t..today junior!!).

Its only a 16 foot trailer, but its usually fully loaded. My truck pulled it fine before the intake swap, but now I notice that getting up to speed on the ramps or passing someones a lot easier. I have to agree with augiedoggy, I noticed more power toward the higher RPM range.

Just my 2 cents.

Still looking forward to seeing you pairing up a cam with this intake and tuning it. :smileup:

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry to hear your heater core went bust. Dodge put them in a very convenient spot. Been there, not a fun job at all. Luckily, mine just got plugged and wasn't leaking. My dad helped me fix it. Its definitely a 2 man job (moving the dash).

I did have the chance this week to pull my dad's utility trailer on the highway with my truck. His ranger is currently broke, parked in the garage (power steering pump failed). Rather funny watching him try to pull it with a 4-cyl ranger that has 480k miles on it ( t..t..t..today junior!!).

Its only a 16 foot trailer, but its usually fully loaded. My truck pulled it fine before the intake swap, but now I notice that getting up to speed on the ramps or passing someones a lot easier. I have to agree with augiedoggy, I noticed more power toward the higher RPM range.

Just my 2 cents.

Still looking forward to seeing you pairing up a cam with this intake and tuning it. :smileup:
Oh jeeze. 480k? That is riduclous lol. I don't do a whole lot of towing, I have towed 3 quads with ease before but thats about it. I'm just waiting on the cam now. The guy helping me install has an endorsement with comp cams, and he is researching for a comparable cam to the whiplash one. saves me $$$

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've been researching these and unfortunatly they arent for me since I do most of my driving below 5,000 rpm...that where they start to make more power than stock manifold at the expense of losing that power below 5,000 prm... they are designed for WOT racing applications

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've been researching these and unfortunatly they arent for me since I do most of my driving below 5,000 rpm...that where they start to make more power than stock manifold at the expense of losing that power below 5,000 prm... they are designed for WOT racing applications
From the Hughes web site.
"This dual-plane manifold design incorporates the same race-winning Air-Gap technology that's been used on our Victor Series competition intakes for years for outstanding performance in the 1500 to 6500 rpm range"

·
Registered
67 Posts
From the Hughes web site.
"This dual-plane manifold design incorporates the same race-winning Air-Gap technology that's been used on our Victor Series competition intakes for years for outstanding performance in the 1500 to 6500 rpm range"
yup I seen that too...but you have to take that with a grain of salt... the before and after dyno runs usually tell a different story.. Although I've recently been told if you use a custom tune for these intakes the losses in the lower range can be overcome...
Stock keggers and even engines like the gm TPI and LS engines rely on long runners to tune more power out of the low end. the M1 design is used mainly for WOT racing apps (just like the marketing you mentioned above hints to)..al least thats were its strong points kick in...apples to oranges...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.