DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I installed the Airlift 1000. Install pretty straight forward did not do single lines as I think the "T" will work for my needs. The one issue I have now is that when I did the soap test I saw no leaks at all let it sit for about an hour and no pressure loss or any air bubbles when sprayed down again. Aired up to 35 psi last night for the overnight pressure test and came out this morning to no pressure on the gauge when I checked. Aired up to 35 psi and sprayed down again with no visible air leaks.

Anybody experience this phantom leak issue and have any trouble shooting ideas?

·
Registered
690 Posts
I have to ask, did you run the air lines down through the frame into the center of the airbag or did you come out from the side of the spring near the top? If you cam out of the side then you are only airing up the tube to the pinch point. The air lines must come in over the top of the spring through the frame!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought I came in through the very top of the spring mount. If a pinch in the line can cause this I will recheck to make sure no pinch points. Maybe I got a zip tie to tight?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have to ask, did you run the air lines down through the frame into the center of the airbag or did you come out from the side of the spring near the top? If you cam out of the side then you are only airing up the tube to the pinch point. The air lines must come in over the top of the spring through the frame!!
I double checked the line routing last night. It comes out of the top of the spring holders(but not into the frame). I don't have any pinching at the zip ties. Aired up to 35 psi, it looks as though the bags are inflating. Sprayed all connections with soapy water again, no bubbles. Came out this morning to zero pressure again. I'm at a loss, I will keep tinkering.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah yes, I'm good to go. Ran the lines out the top. I'm going to remove the t and put in separate valves tonight and see if i still have a leak. If not I know it was the T and I will replace with a brass one and real hose clamps. If I still have a leak hopefully it will isolate the side leaking so I only have to remove one fender liner.

Thank you for the visual!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A recommendation for anyone who installs the Airlift 1000. Even if you are going to run a "T" after the final install go ahead and set up set up separate lines for the initial pressure test after installation. I had a phantom air leak. I ended up running separate lines to trace down which bag was leaking. then once I had that dialed I still could not find the leak with soapy water. Went ahead and just re did both connection on that side and good to go. Did the pressure test overnight ant lost about a pound. Installed the T and now good to go. Looking forward to my next big load.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Anybody that installs the airlift bags, don't ever use the T. I had same problem. It creates another variable and an unnecessary headache. Besides, I like the ability to control each bag independently. Once you have the bags you will never go without them.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
I took the added precaution of running most of my air lines through the plastic wire coating that would typically be used for off road lighting, etc. to avoid any abrasions against the frame, bolts, etc.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I took the added precaution of running most of my air lines through the plastic wire coating that would typically be used for off road lighting, etc. to avoid any abrasions against the frame, bolts, etc.

That is a great Idea, simple to add after installation also.

Thank you

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just a thought, did you ck the value stem.
yes, valve stem was good. I narrowed the leak down to one side re did all of the connections and now good to go.

Thank you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts