DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I had just received my new back-up camera and was eager to go install it. Got out to the truck, ran all of the wiring and all was well. Until I disconnected the negative terminal on the battery (as a precaution) prior to splicing in the the reverse wire/taillight wires. Wires were spliced and I was ready to turn my truck on see my new backup camera in action. Pop the hood, grab the negative cable and place it on the post...HOOOOOONK....HOOOOOOONK....HOOOONK. Immediately take it back off, as it scared the piss out of me. After gathering myself, I attempt again with the same result. This had never happened to me and I was puzzled. So first, I tried to do the key in the door unlock to disarm the alarm, no dice. After doing that I thought starting the engine would shut it off...nope. The truck wouldn't attempt to start, it had been immobilized. Called a couple of local Ram dealerships and none of them were helpful, "come in (tow) and we'll have to look at it," "Huh, that's weird, never heard of that,"or my favorite, "Sorry man, I have no idea what you're talking about." As you can imagine, I'm somewhat freaking out as I'm thinking this means a tow to the dealership, plus reprogramming fees, etc... Not looking to spend $500+ over something as simple as disconnecting the battery for a back-up camera installation (which I didn't even have to do, was just being overly cautious). I took out horn fuses because I live in a neighborhood and didn't want to piss people off. After hours of research and attempts to fix, I came up with nothing. I about threw my hands up when I decided to try calling one last dealer (not local). The man (named Darren) answered the phone and was polite, helpful, and really seemed like he was on my side in my situation. He asked for the VIN and model and told me to hang on for a sec while he consulted with another service manager. He returned to the phone to inform me that my truck did not have a factry alarm system and that it was likely aftermarket. he went on to explain that aftermarket systems have a valet/override switch on the computer (brain of system) that you press/flip and this disarms the system. Got back to my truck last night, as I was away during the day, located the computer and found the blue wire coming out that he described. Followed that to a well-hidden and mounted toggle switch that I didn't even know was there, turned my key to on position and VROOOOM...truck turned on. I am incredibly thankful for Darren and his thought/time. Would've taken it to dealer if I didn't hear his advice. For anyone else out there who has this problem, check to make sure your truck has either a factory/aftermarket alarm system. If aftermarket, follow what I did and hit that toggle switch and you will be "mobilized."

PS: Back-up cam works great too.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts