DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright. So my 285/65R20 BFG AT's are on their way out, basically at wear bars and acting funny.

Now I got a quote for new tires, its 380 to replace the existing BFGs with the same size and tire, but for 20 dollars more I can step up to a 295/65 in the Nitto Trail Grappler.

My concern is if the 295's will rub on the suspension and make the truck undriveable. I can live with rubbing the plastic splash shield at full lock, I'll just trim it or zip it back.

Truck specs
2006 Laramie Hemi QC 4x4

I've got it leveled with a 2" Truxx spacer

Wheels are Ion 136 Series Black Wheel
Size: 20" x 9"
Bolt Pattern: 5 x 139.7mm
Offset: +15mm
Bore Size: 87mm

Any input from anyone running this size is appreaciated, I search and only found one person with a Single Cab running them on here. Other sites seem to be mixed, some say they'll only rub a bit, others say they wont even roll without rubbing.

TIA, I'm hoping to get the tires in the next week or two.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I don't have these tires but I have read enough in the past two weeks that I should be an expert. I have been considering 295/60/20 or 295/65/20 for my own 2006 1500 and I have been trying to figure out if they will fit. Problem is, as you already said, I have yet to find a definite yes or no. Height-wise, you are fine. The problem is the width and if it rubs it will rub the upper control arm. However, I have read where several people are running these tires with a level and a 1/4" spacer. The question I have been trying to answer is whether or not they will run without the spacer. I'm not a fan of the cheap, hard to center spacers and good hub and wheel centric ones are $200.

Your situation is a little different though since you have aftermarket wheels. The specs on your wheels look identical to the stock 20s with the exception of your +15 offset vs. the stock +19 offset. This would work in your favor as it would move your wheel out 4mm more than the stock wheel. 1/4" = 6mm though.....so is 4mm enough, lol? You could always try them as long as you are prepared to run spacers if they end up rubbing. That's a whole other topic. You could get custom made $200 spacers that are top quality and extremely unlikely to cause issues or your average $30-$40 spacers and hope for the best. Hope this is some help.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't really want to run spacers, don't trust them when towing or with a heavy load in back. I'd like buy new negative offset wheels but I'm saving money for the Kore CV's to stop the 4x4 vibs from the leveling kit and these wheels are not costing me a thing.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I'm leaning towards these tires not fitting without rub on a stock rim. My gut tells me you could very possibly run them with your slightly less offset rims but that's a pretty big gamble to take. Maybe you could find a local tire shop that has a tire in this size in stock and have them mount one and see how it looks.

I understand your distrust of spacers. Just so you know, you can get some great, high-quality spacers...they just aren't cheap. There is a company called Motorsports Technologies that custom makes spacers. They are made from top quality aluminum and they are hub and wheel centric...meaning they center tightly to the hub and the wheel. You can also order them in any width and with your wheels 2 or 3mm would be enough.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Have them and love em !

Here ya are, I have the Nitto 295/65/20s on OEM rims......2 1/2 HBS level and 1/4" spacers fit like a glove no rubbing at all and even when off road have had no issues. The tire ride nice with a low hum but not as bad as a more aggresive mud tire, they pull well in soft mud,snow and trac well in rain, cant complain about them and have about 4000 miles on em and little wear....just make sure you alighn and rotate.:smileup:

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Here ya are, I have the Nitto 295/65/20s on OEM rims......2 1/2 HBS level and 1/4" spacers fit like a glove no rubbing at all and even when off road have had no issues. The tire ride nice with a low hum but not as bad as a more aggresive mud tire, they pull well in soft mud,snow and trac well in rain, cant complain about them and have about 4000 miles on em and little wear....just make sure you alighn and rotate.:smileup:
Would that setup work as good on a 2012 model???

·
Registered
573 Posts
Yes it should work with a level and a 1/4" spacer on the the 4th gens. Couple guys here have run that setup I think.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just put 285/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers on my 04 ram which is bone stock and I have plenty of clearance, I would be able to fit 295's easy.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Does anybody know how much the 295/65R20 weighs? Was looking at Toyo MT's in a 275/65r20 size but they weigh 70lbs!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
okay you guys know your rubber!!! I just put duratrac 275 65 20 on my 2006 1500. It had the stock 275 60 20's on it. Should I have any issues? And will I have to adjust my speedo at all?
Thanks!

·
Registered
95 Posts
You should be fine with the 275/65/20. I first ran bfg at's 305/55/20 years ago. And I didnt have any rubbing or turning problems at full turn. Now im running terra graps 285/55/20. I guess I was thinking I wanted to save $$ but im going with the nitto mt's 295/65/20 in a few months.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts