DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. To all the guys who have lowered their trucks with the belltech kit and thought the kit shifted the axle to the driver side due to the track bar, well, you are wrong. I have been researching this for over a week because I am trying to decide on a lowering kit. I have a 2012 ram express quad cab 2wd, and let me just say the "axle issue" is a factory problem. Here is pics of my truck with 300 miles on it, I took them tonight. Driver side shot of tire, and passenger side. So i think everyone who is still on factory suspension, including 4wds, need to go out and look at your rear. We need to get the factory to correct this issue, how is this even legit? Its rediculous. On to the pics.....

DRIVE SIDE

PASSENGER

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Did you use a fixed position for the camera, by that I mean a mount, mounted directly in the same place measured from the truck exactly the same on both sides? I dont know if it is possible to get an accurate picture unless it is visually obvious to the eye. Also did you measure the rear body to see if the rear body was out of alignment instead of the rear end? Just curious.

·
Registered
319 Posts
i have heard alot about the beds on the 1500 and 2500 beign out of wack a little bit and dealers will fix the problem. i know it was the first thing i checked on mine.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I always check body alignment, among the things on my check list, on a truck I am considering purchasing. I look for anything out of position or doors that are not perfect etc, because if that one things wrong, who knows what else is.

·
Registered
319 Posts
my thoughts exactly

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have heard alot about the beds on the 1500 and 2500 beign out of wack a little bit and dealers will fix the problem. i know it was the first thing i checked on mine.

Your tuck has totally different suspension in the rear. Im not sure the axle issues would appear on the 2500 or 3500s. Its just on the half tons, so of course your not going to notice it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Your tuck has totally different suspension in the rear. Im not sure the axle issues would appear on the 2500 or 3500s. Its just on the half tons, so of course your not going to notice it.
I understand that but on the diesel forumns guys with the 2500's have been haveing some issues with the bed beign out of whack as well. I was just stateing what i have witnessed and read from others to try and help with the op's issue:kap:

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Skinny, If it was an issue with the bed that would be nice, nice white flag btw lol
Jacksonsnorth, I didn't use a pod either. I had the camera resting against bed on the body line and the pictures show the same thing. The camera angle and spots are about as identical as you can get free hand
Passenger Side:

Driver side:

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Wow I had not heard of this issue and I dont see it on mine. I guess I lucked out, sorry to hear others having this issue. Good luck with the fix guys. I hope they make good on it somehow.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Redrum.
Still concerned though about effects of lowering on rear track bar... decreasing the angle of the bar essentially increases the distance between the mounting points, which means that the axle mount will have force loading it. If its not enough to affect track or suspension height, it will probably cause binding in suspension travel.
As posted in other threads, the solution is relocating the track bar mount lower on the axle. Not sure how to calculate the correct position after lowering though.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
My only thing with that though, is that when the truck sits lower, it's not all that different from when you have a load in the bed. The track bar would react the same on the 4 link rear suspension. To lower the truck by adding the shorter springs just allows you to ride at that height, as if the truck was essentially hauling or towing. And even when fully bottomed out the track bar doesn't cause binding, while adjusting it I'm sure could help to some degree I'm not 100% certain it has adverse effects on the lowered trucks if it doesn't really cause an issue in tow/haul scenarios... just my .02

·
Registered
55 Posts
Good point Indeepwaterblue.
I'm probably going to take some measurements at stock height and weighted down enough to simulate a drop, then make a decision. Will also check the travel arc of the track bar as well. Will post info when I have it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Drove by the dealership this morning, and the 4wds seem fine. The only 2wd on the lot was a r/t and it was fine. Im not sure what is causing the problem but Im taking my truck in tomorrow.

·
Registered
35,470 Posts
Let us know how you make out... I just checked my RAM after reading your post and it seems ok.... Great info.... Thanks for making this thread.......

·
Registered
262 Posts
OP, To say that all who lowered are wrong about their roll center is a false assumption.

My truck's roll center was measured prior to lowering. We then measured after lowering and my roll center was off by 3 1/8". We shortened my factory trac bar by making it adjustable and brought the roll center back even. Measured on both side of the rear axle to confirm.

Yours may be off from the factory, but to assume all others are as well is not wise. lol

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OP, To say that all who lowered are wrong about their roll center is a false assumption.

My truck's roll center was measured prior to lowering. We then measured after lowering and my roll center was off by 3 1/8". We shortened my factory trac bar by making it adjustable and brought the roll center back even. Measured on both side of the rear axle to confirm.

Yours may be off from the factory, but to assume all others are as well is not wise. lol

you may be right about my assumption. however, the track bar does not need shortened, it would need to be longer to bring the axle back to center. not wise of you to say that either. lol

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
^that's not correct, if you lower the vehicle the panhard bar would "need" (if you want to say it's "needed") shortened, not elongated.

I understand it may seem a little Fed up or frustrating that the wheels don't line up perfect on each side, but if it's within ~1/2 inch I wouldn't cause a fuss. There is no harm it's just a visual thing, and really not noticeable. Like was mentioned, the suspension does not bind at any point in it's travel, so lowering the truck is not harmful. Yes it would lengthen the life of the 4 link's bushings a little to have an adjustable panhard and have it adjusted perfectly, but it's really not a huge deal, or one to worry about. Especially if you are only dropping say 1" or 2".

Unless it is going to drive you crazy visually, there is no issue. This is the way the suspension is designed, it will "shift" side to side a little (say ~1") throughout it's full travel, it's in the design of the panhard bar. Yes it might seem like a "flaw" but other than a slight visual uncomfort, it is a very superior suspension to just about any other and in every way.

My buddy's camaro has a panhard and when he launches at the track his slicks rub the left fender well but not the right fender well when it squats....same thing, the axle shifts ~1" through travel...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It does not need to be shorter. The bar is stationary on the frame on the passenger side, so the shorter the bar the closer the axle is going to be toward the passenger side.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts