DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I've never heard of this being done but I want to try it out I have a 1997 dodge ram 1500 5.9 2wd and a 1998 all wheel drive jeep grand Cherokee with the 318 now in 98 jeep made the same setup but with the 360 motor so I could be wrong but I believe that both use the same transfer cases so could I just take the one out of my 318 jeep and put in my 360 ram I know for me to pull this off I will need a front end out of a 4x4 ram and need to pull the transfer case and shifter out of the jeep along with that either a front drive shaft out of jeep or 4x4 ram the reason behind all this is cause my jeep with just a 318 is a beast coming off the line so I know it would be crazier in my 360 ram which also I believe weighs less than that lifted suv lol what would be cooler is to be able to pull a motor and drivetrain out of a 6.1 hemi awd srt8 jeep grand Cherokee but more work than just going with what I already have to use thanks in advance for your replys

·
Registered
59 Posts
OK I'm confused.... But I do know dodge rams are 4 wheel drive and not all wheel drive....and yes there's a difference.
There are lots of differences between the drivetrains in a jeep and a ram...for one the starter is on opposite sides of the engine...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Sounds like a crap load of work, for almost nothing! Why do you want to do it? For drag racing or for wheeling? For drag racing, it'd be easier and cheaper to have a reputable chassis shop modify the rear end in your 2WD for better traction off the line...there are numerous options there!

For wheeling, sell the 2WD and find a 4WD, clunk it in gear and go!

Just my opinion...sounds like a lot of engineering work for very little benefit.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sounds like a crap load of work, for almost nothing! Why do you want to do it? For drag racing or for wheeling? For drag racing, it'd be easier and cheaper to have a reputable chassis shop modify the rear end in your 2WD for better traction off the line...there are numerous options there!

For wheeling, sell the 2WD and find a 4WD, clunk it in gear and go!

Just my opinion...sounds like a lot of engineering work for very little benefit.
I guess we just see things a bit more realistically being older because I was thinking the same thing..

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm with ya...I'm all for wrenching and the creative aspect of things, but this just seems like a lot of time and resources spent on very little gain. I guess I am getting (notice I said getting) old!

·
Registered
669 Posts
arent ram 2wd and 4wd front suspensions completely different? Like everything? Solid axle vs IFS? There is zero gain or point in my book to this swap. Maybeeee if you had a 4x4 ram to swap into but 2wd to 4wd/awd would be more work than it would ever be worth

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah it's alot of work but it is possible me and a friend just thought it up lol and wondering if it would fit im not going to do it lol just throwing idea for anyone thinking about building a all wheel drive ram but like yall said alot work so I'll pass just an idea but thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
It would be different but see some custom mounts and stuff in the future if you decide to go that route. I also know if I was doing it it would be something started and then sitting because of lack of time to finish.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts