DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my friend tells me my alternator is shot, so i figured i would go up to the junk yard and buy one cheap, but when i looked online it asked if i had a 119 amp or a 139 amp, my friend then states i need the right one or ill fry out my wires so i looked under the hood and didnt see anything, how do i check what size it is? i imagine its a 119 but i dont want to get the wrong one and not have enough amps

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I dont know the difference in the two, but if you wanted to feel safe add a run of 1/0G wire from the alt to the + battery and from the - battery to the factory ground. The added wire and size will keep you nice and safe. Im running a 370A alt with 1/0 wiring like this with no problem. It is very very common in the large sound system scene

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok ill try it tkz

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
You can tell by the body of the alternator.

The 119 is smaller. The 139 is just a bit bigger but has the same bolt pattern.

The 139 is usually used for trucks with more options. Sounds to me like your friend is fried (no offence intended). Dodge doesn't use two separate wire harnesses for the two different applications. Same one for both trucks and can easily handle the 20amp difference. There are of course different wire harnesses for the different trucks, but I personally installed the 139 to help supply current to my 2 farad capacitor for the stereo so my headlights don't flash with the beat of the music.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts