DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my deck is the base one with sat radio. Normally i would just pull the stereo and see where there is a grounding issue, but due to this truck only having 201kms on it, im not interested in spending god know how long to find the issue.

So here's the issue:

There is a somewhat hard to detect whine, coming most likely from passenger front door speaker. It occurs (for the most part) regardless of RPM or speed. I am aware that this might easily mean its NOT alternator whine but for lack of better explanation right now thats what im going with.

Further, I attempted to diagnose problem (ie. change gear, rpm, volume even cabin temp and other driving habits) and i cannot accurately recreate the problem twice. It comes and goes at will and is becoming annoying.

Any help would be appreciated seeing as if i cant figure out how to make it screw up, the tech prob wont either.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Is this a 100% stock stereo system that you have, or just a stock radio that you are using with other components? Alternator whine can be caused by a bad ground connection, interference from power wires on signal wires and a few other things. Give a little bit more info if you can.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
everything is bone stock. only "extra" that i have is the dodge 1 year trial of sirius (which im going to can soon)

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
If it's independent of rpm then you can rule out alternator whine. Most likely is a loose ground causing feed back into the speaker, our the speaker itself isn't working properly. Does it happen when the stereo is on but not playing, or only when music is playing?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oddly, both. i tested again today and at first i thought perhaps it was wind noise as it seems to disappear at certain speeds (ie i think under 40k.....not sure exactly)

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
Here's an odd way of isolating sound location, but it works. Get a 2-3ft length of garden hose, the 3/4" diameter works best for this. Have someone drive around, and with an ear plug in one ear and the hose held against the other, move the end of the hose around the trouble area. You can locate the exact spot of the noise this way, but you really look like an idiot while doing it.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
If a diode is going bad in the alternator, it will cause a whine in the radio, but it is usually RPM connected

1 - 7 of 7 Posts