DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HI, I am new to this 2006 RAM 2500 06 Quad ST/SL.

Both new batteries went dead, recharged them, checked for current draw and each one separately when connected draws 2 amps for about 2 mins then goes down and stays at 1 mA - This is with the ignition off. So I assume that's OK.

When I pull the ignition switch out and exit the truck, the "chime" reminder is on reminding me to turn off something.
I cannot figure out what that might be.
I have no lights on, no bed light on, no radio on, no A/C on, and no accessories like GPS plugged in.
When I close the drivers door the chime stops.

Is it suppose to chime like this? I am not so sure the batteries wont go dead again.

EDIT: Ok, the chime goes on and goes off whenever I open the drivers door.
If I pull Fuse 11 [20 AMP] "IOD-CNN/RADIO/UNHOOD LMP/WCM/SDARS/HFM" the chime stops.
I have no under hood lamp that I can locate. What do the other acronyms mean?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
45 people have read this and no one responds? lol
I regret not saying please help - but I meant to - sorry

·
Registered
2020 Ram Sport, night edition
1,519 Posts
Sorry brither I have no idea but be patient there are many helpful and knowledgable people here. This will bump your post back to the top and hopefully someone will have your answer. goodluck

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
Mine chimes if i get out of the seat with the FOB in the ignition
it also chimes if it is not all the way in Park
If i move the vehicle about 100 feet without the seatbelt latched, it goes off
if i am closing my door with the head lights on, it goes off, even if the key is removed

1 other thing mine does, it tries to warn me if i am in the Accessories position & i have been listening to the radio for a long period of time, then try to Start it without turning the key to the OFF position, it chimes, because some how it trips something in the computer. The check engine light then comes on & stays on until the system is reset, i had the dealership reset it, because i wanted to know why it stayed on & a few things were no longer working correctly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think i can help on this one!
I moved my trailer brake controller recently. When i did so i accidently shorted one of the wires, and blew a 30 amp fuse under the hood (I think both 10 and 19 have something to do with trailer) I blew 19 i believe. With that blown, the dinging would happen with keys out. lights off. cargo light off. Whenever the door was open, it would ding. Check those first. Theyre the bigger fuses, and like 3$ at napa. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guy, it ended up being a low resistance short in the 12volt cigarette socket.
It's been replaced and now all is good.
appreciate all your help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
However,
It appears the ignition switch is worn out some. I can pull the key out in the off position and still get a chime. It would appear the switch still thinks the key is in there and so chimes. I have to try again to wiggle it and remove to the key to get the chime to stop.
What is all involved in a repair? Do I need the complete assembly or can I just get a new key barrel?

·
Registered
9 Posts
my 2005 Dodge does similar thing, door chimes with key out when open the drivers door, and only the drivers door, but chime isnt the big issue. the radio stays on as well. which over time (couple days sitting) kills the battery. i've inspected the wiring in the steering column and thought it was the ignition switch and ignition lock. took both out and apart and found that even with the ignition switch wire harness unplugged from the switch it will still occur. any ideas as to what to inspect or test next? Sam

·
Registered
464 Posts
However,
It appears the ignition switch is worn out some. I can pull the key out in the off position and still get a chime. It would appear the switch still thinks the key is in there and so chimes. I have to try again to wiggle it and remove to the key to get the chime to stop.
What is all involved in a repair? Do I need the complete assembly or can I just get a new key barrel?
It is quite possible that the ignition switch is the culprit! My '05 Durango had switch "issues" on two occasions. Had the dealer replace one (~$140 4 years ago) and replaced the second one myself (<$35 at NAPA and with YouTube/ internet guidance). The switch is kinda large and counter intuitively, is on the opposite side of the steering column from the "key barrel". It's pretty easy to swap them out. My '04 RAM 2500 has the same switch as my '05 Durango ( checked the part #s) so I wouldn't be surprised if your's was the same too! The switch itself is purely mechanical, relying on cams to make or break circuits as the key is turned. I think you are right, they just wear out. It would be a fairly cheap diagnostic test (if you do it yourself) and may very well fix your problem. Give it a shot!
RipVan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys, I am having the same issue, but under different circumstances. I sent my original cluster out for repair to a "supposedly reputable" facility because the odometer display lighting was out. Unit was returned and the odometer display worked, but the tach was now inop. Returned under warranty and came back with tach still inop. Said facility elected to send me a replacement cluster with mileage adjusted to match. Well, all worked except the keyless entry, so I took the RKE module from the original cluster and installed on the replacement. Everything works now, except the chime dings all the time the driver door is open whether the key is in the ignition or not. Seems strange this only occurred after I installed the keyless entry module. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same issue here

I had a frozen pin in my ignition cylinder, could not turn the key, and had a mobile automotive locksmith come out and replace just the one pin. Since then, the same exact symptom, door open and it beeps like the key is in, close door it goes silent, pull fuse 11 it goes silent. Also remote locking fob now intermittently works. Working the issue now will post again when I figure it out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2006 Ram 3500 Quad Cab 4x4 Dually 5.9L Cummins. I replaced the ignition switch twice without solving the problem. When I turn off the engine, pull the keys, and open the door I get the chime. In this state the truck thinks the keys are in the ignition and I cannot use the key fob to lock the doors. If I stick the keys back in the ignition and pull them back out, it clears the problem. All fuses are intact. So, I have to double clutch the keys everytime I exit the truck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts