DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
19 RAM 1500 5.7 Etorque. Falcon Wildpeak AT3W/ JMS PedalMax/weatherTech TechLiner/Gator Quad fold
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So most people know that I'm more of a truck guy than anything. Somehow though, I found myself at a dealership earlier today looking at a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I'm not even sure why honestly. I think I like the idea of better MPGs, easier to park/drive here in Las Vegas, off road/trail rated, easier to work on. I got halfway through signing the paperwork on a 2021 Grand Cherokee Laredo E 4wd...and then I just left lmao!
I was ready to put down $3,000 which would put me at about $70 less per month with the Jeep. At the same time...I don't want to give up my truck lol. Thoughts? (All are appreciated).

·
Super Moderator
'18 RAM 3500 4WD Tradesman 6.4
1,401 Posts
LOL
That's what they call an impulse purchase. Or almost anyway.
I get the bit about parking though. Around here a lot of the parking spots at stores and such are a pretty darn tight squeeze for a truck, especially an HD Crew Cab truck.
We have a Subaru which is a hell of a lot easier to navigate with in town, and getting twice the mileage is sure nice too.

So were you thinking of keeping the truck and buying the Cherokee, or replacing the truck with the Cherokee?

·
Super Moderator
19 Ram 1500 Big Horn Sport 5.7 Hemi 4X4 QC
6,656 Posts
I agree with it being an "impulse buy", glad you walked out. Congrats!

It's not just in Las Vegas, either. Over the last 15 or 20 years, the majority of parking spots ARE getting smaller. First in big cities, now in the burbs. The need for more people (customers) to be able to park, as well as cars getting smaller, isn't helping! LOL

·
Registered
60 Posts
When it came time to get my retirement toy, I narrowed it down to either a Grand Cherokee or the Ram 1500. After test driving both (again), the comfortable ride and spacious seating of the Ram won the day. I have not regretted that decision.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Parking is only an issue for those who always have to park as close to the store as possible. I never park in the front because people have no respect for other peoples property, I will happily walk from further out in the parking lot to the store.

The first time you need a truck and you don't have one you will quickly regret not having one, trucks are so useful that many people fail to appreciate them. It is so easy to say and convince yourself I don't need a 1500/2500/3500 series truck and buy either a non truck or think that these new micro bed trucks will suit you until you need to haul that item that won't fit into your vehicle or micro bed truck.

I have been down that road in the past when I decided you know what we really don't need a truck until we needed a truck. That will not happen again in our family, just because you don't use the bed every day does not mean a truck is not the right choice for you.

Maybe an ecodiesel Ram would be right for you, I bought a 2019 Ram 1500 Classic Laramie ecodiesel last year that was a left over and got a great deal on it, MSRP was $50,265 and I walked out the door after tax, tag, title, dealer paperwork, and extended warranty for just over $27,000 dollars. Sure that was one of those being in the right place at the right time deals but this Ram 1500 Classic ecodiesel has been a great truck and for the life of the truck I have averaged 27.6 MPG, I have tracked every fill up since I bought the truck which is 61 fill ups now not all of them running the fuel tank low. You can click on the Fuelly Graphic at the bottom of my posts to see the average fuel economy.

I do have the Green Diesel Engineering Hot Tune/Trans Tune on my ecodiesel and it runs like a champ. I now have just over 21,300 miles on the truck in 10 months of owning it.

I guarantee you that if you get rid of the truck you will convince yourself at first it was the right move, but after that first time you need a truck and don't have one you will regret your decision to get rid of your truck.

Reactions: PowerJrod

·
Super Moderator
'18 RAM 3500 4WD Tradesman 6.4
1,401 Posts
Parking is only an issue for those who always have to park as close to the store as possible. I never park in the front because people have no respect for other peoples property, I will happily walk from further out in the parking lot to the store.
Maybe that's true in Florida which is mostly flat as a pancake, but around here flat ground is scarce, so parking lots tend to be smaller and the marked-out spaces are pretty small too.

I always park away from the front also, which reduces the chance of getting dinged by a grocery cart or a careless driver, but a lot of parking lots are often close to capacity and in a big truck even cruising between the rows to find a emply spot always requires really careful attention.
In quite a few lots, it's not at all uncommon for the turning circle on our 3500 to be inadequate to go from one "aisle" in the parking lot to another in a single bite if the lot is almost full, so having to back up a bit, carefully, to make the turns from one lane to another is not unusual.

The layout of the newer developed lots are increasingly designed to be optimal for smaller compact vehicles, and wiggling around in them in a large truck can be a challenge. There are a few newish developments (including a hospital) in a local town that have parking lots from hell if you're driving a crew cab truck.

·
Registered
19 RAM 1500 5.7 Etorque. Falcon Wildpeak AT3W/ JMS PedalMax/weatherTech TechLiner/Gator Quad fold
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe that's true in Florida which is mostly flat as a pancake, but around here flat ground is scarce, so parking lots tend to be smaller and the marked-out spaces are pretty small too.

I always park away from the front also, which reduces the chance of getting dinged by a grocery cart or a careless driver, but a lot of parking lots are often close to capacity and in a big truck even cruising between the rows to find a emply spot always requires really careful attention.
In quite a few lots, it's not at all uncommon for the turning circle on our 3500 to be inadequate to go from one "aisle" in the parking lot to another in a single bite if the lot is almost full, so having to back up a bit, carefully, to make the turns from one lane to another is not unusual.

The layout of the newer developed lots are increasingly designed to be optimal for smaller compact vehicles, and wiggling around in them in a large truck can be a challenge. There are a few newish developments (including a hospital) in a local town that have parking lots from hell if you're driving a crew cab truck.
This is very true for us in Las Vegas. I have the Quad cab Ram and honestly...just as much as a challenge as a crew cab. Yet...I'll go down to visit family at a small town in AZ and the parking lots/spaces are noticably larger for sure.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree with it being an "impulse buy", glad you walked out. Congrats!

It's not just in Las Vegas, either. Over the last 15 or 20 years, the majority of parking spots ARE getting smaller. First in big cities, now in the burbs. The need for more people (customers) to be able to park, as well as cars getting smaller, isn't helping! LOL
Definitely! And that's really just one reason for my original thought of trading in. Believe me...even when I was at the dealership I kept thinking "man, I really don't want to trade in my Ram now" lol.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LOL
That's what they call an impulse purchase. Or almost anyway.
I get the bit about parking though. Around here a lot of the parking spots at stores and such are a pretty darn tight squeeze for a truck, especially an HD Crew Cab truck.
We have a Subaru which is a hell of a lot easier to navigate with in town, and getting twice the mileage is sure nice too.

So were you thinking of keeping the truck and buying the Cherokee, or replacing the truck with the Cherokee?
It was going to be me replacing the Ram with the Grand Cherokee, but I really wish I could just keep my Ram and get the Grand Cherokee too.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All very good points brought up here for sure. Gas prices are starting to become another factor as lately I've been having to idle my truck with the A/C on outside at work in this 110 degree weather which is not good for $3.80/per gallon lol.

Maneuverability on off road trails would be nice too since we almost fell off the trail while I was doing a 5 point turn in the mountains of Prescott AZ 😂
A lot of pros and cons to each. My girls dad just bought a gladiator which I even considered...until I saw the price tag lol.

·
Super Moderator
19 Ram 1500 Big Horn Sport 5.7 Hemi 4X4 QC
6,656 Posts
My buddy just traded in his 2017 Ram Limited for a Gladiator, last month. He says he loves it & gets better mileage.

Me? Well, after all the money (& mods) I put in my 2019 Ram, I'll keep it. Not looking, for now...

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My buddy just traded in his 2017 Ram Limited for a Gladiator, last month. He says he loves it & gets better mileage.

Me? Well, after all the money (& mods) I put in my 2019 Ram, I'll keep it. Not looking, for now...
Yea good point, I've added quite a few things to my Ram too so maybe next spring I'll revisit the idea and see if the inflation of vehicle prices calm down a little. Besides...I got a killer deal on my Ram right before Covid hit.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Have you all noticed the size of the garages in new homes these days? It's only good for a compact car and pulled to 1 side to open the door all the way.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Have you all noticed the size of the garages in new homes these days? It's only good for a compact car and pulled to 1 side to open the door all the way.
Yup! When my girl had her Chevy Trax and I had my Ford Edge we were both able to park in the garage...barely. Now even when we take her RAV4 on a trip I still have to leave my truck parked outside, which I don't like at all.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Keeping my truck. Will probably end up trading it in a couple years for a Rebel or something since I need to keep the cargo space.

·
Registered
2021 Rebel
13 Posts
So most people know that I'm more of a truck guy than anything. Somehow though, I found myself at a dealership earlier today looking at a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I'm not even sure why honestly. I think I like the idea of better MPGs, easier to park/drive here in Las Vegas, off road/trail rated, easier to work on. I got halfway through signing the paperwork on a 2021 Grand Cherokee Laredo E 4wd...and then I just left lmao!
I was ready to put down $3,000 which would put me at about $70 less per month with the Jeep. At the same time...I don't want to give up my truck lol. Thoughts? (All are appreciated).
I looked at the Jeep Gladiator, because I needed a pick up truck and really liked it looks… I’ll tell you what, I would’ve bought it if it wasn’t made for short people. So I looked at the salesman and he even said yeah you don’t have headroom and I walked out shaking my head thinking, dumb ass engineers. I’m 6’6”, tall, But I would think if you were 6’4” and hit a bump you’d hit your head on the Roll bar above your head. Otherwise I really liked it.
So I ended up getting a 2021 ram rebel. Except for the BS lane keep and their BS mileage estimates visiting and the defective Rambox they know about, I like it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I went from a Ram R/T to a Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD. I kick myself every day. I bought the GC because I really like the 3.6 and 8 speed, I also had a Challenger SXT at the time. And I too wanted something a little smaller. But, I now find myself needing that pickup bed a lot and I really miss the comfort of the Ram. The seats in the GC were extremely hard and uncomfortable to me. They have now softened a bit after 2 1/2 years. However their trims have different foam types so if you look up the build sheets you can see which foam you will get. The GC has a nice layout and the typical designed interior that I like from American vehicles. But it also has that obnoxious Stop/Start system and the two batteries under the front passenger seat. I did buy the disabling device but it plugs in to different places depending on the trim level. Bottom line for me, the GC is a nice vehicle but I lost a lot of comfort and cargo capability. If I had it to do over, I would have kept the Ram. Right now I'm waiting for the new Nissan Frontier to come out this summer and check it out since I don't like any of the other mid sized truck offerings and Chrysler/Daimler/FCA/Stellantins, whomever owns Ram this week, has apparently dropped their promise from three years ago of a mid size Dakota rebirth or a standard cab 1500.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts