DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrite, I got my headers in finally. Stole my friends garaged and everything ended up like this :D

Ill do a little write up/step by step but i do advise, this is not something that shouldnt be attempted by people that do not know the meaning of the word patience and/or get frustrated easily.

1) To start put the truck on jackstands (under teh K member) and take the front tires off and the front wheel liners out. That will leave you with an amazing veiw of the stock heat shields on the passangers side and a whole mes of things on the drivers side.

Drivers side. As you can see, brake lines steering shafts and everything els nicely in the way

2) I started on the passangers side and it is quite easy. a 14mm deep socket to remove the heat shields and a 10mm socket w/ swivel and the stock manifold slides right out. Once the header was in place it took a 10mm ratcheting box wrench to get the bottom bolts tightened. Total time to do passanger side, 74 minutes, including the remove and reinstall.
stock removed

Stock vs ARH long tubes

Passangers side done

now... onto the problem side

The drivers side took me 6 hours total. That includes drink time, swear time, throwing tools time, and contemplating suicide time. I have put headers on TONS of vehicles, and the only worse time Ive had are on 03-04 cobras and jeep SRTs.... click bang

3) The dipstick is bolted in two places, once to the head shield, and then there is a tiny tiny tiny 10mm tab that is bolted to the side of the block... tucked behind the motor mount and a wiring harness..... to unbolt it you need to be a 14 year old asian boy to get your hands in there. then once its backed all the way out, it hits the motor mount making you question your sanity and turn it 1/16th of a turn at a time with your fingers till it eventually falls out. Then the dipstick comes out nicely. Then once your get the heatshield off, you need to break you arm in 3 places to get around the brake lines to the bottom bolts to hold the manifold on. Then that slides out. Once that is out, you need to slide the header in, which wants to stop 3/4 of a port too short causing more cursing and throwing. I took a wooden handle and beat it into place, before once again throwing things trying to get all the bolts in... but finally it happened :)

Here is the initial start up... its stupid loud lol

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After that, everything bolted together nicely. The supplied 02 extensions are a little long, but its better than having them too short. I had to cut about 6" off of the i pipe to get it to match up to my corsa but after that everything is perfect.

HEre are a few pictures to show you what everything comes with. I cant say enough about ARH and especially Anthony for all the customer support and an amazing product! In our conversation they are also working on an anti fouler for guys like me that arent running cats to help keep the CEL off.

Headers, cross over tubes, extensions and hardware

Close up

Y pipe merge

Inside the collector

02 Harnesses and grade 8.8 metric hardware

Shameless plug :D

Overall this is an amazing product from an amazing company

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
wow, it sound's like you had fun

:att:
:LOL:

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
Lol, and this is one of the many reasons I paid my shop $250 to do the install; one of the few times I've had a shop work on my truck. Worth every penny, not to mention they did it while I was out of town.

The ARH are amazing headers, I got one of the first kits for the 3rd gen and they've been great quality, no rust/corrosion issues or leaks, so they're already one up on the pacesetter set I used to have. Which primaries did you go with? The 1 3/4 or the 1 7/8?

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1 7/8. Bought them with the intentions of a procharger later

·
Registered
738 Posts
Kurtis which shop did you use, I'll be doing the same on my truck, but keeping the stock exhaust, no need for a S/C on my truck... cause I'm getting one on teh other beast hahaha

when are you home next?

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
I had Davenport do them since they're an ARH dealer, totalled just under $2K after tax, so all in all not too bad a price considering the headers were almost $1,400. That price included the install of the cutout y-pipe and fixing the exhaust piping to get rid of the horribly crooked tailpipes.

I'll be home Monday at noon, then working in Ft Sask until Friday, home for the two meets over the weekend, then fly out for a week back in Conklin before I take 2 weeks vacation.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Well I was originally going to go with a Pacesetter LT set-up.. After that clip though I think ARH has me sold on putting some money aside to put into them.. That is if they have a set for '05. Install doesn't sound like it is totally difficult, but I know on paper it always sounds easy. Now just to save up the money and buy the set-up (if I can find one) without the Ol' Lady finding out til I am underneath the truck wrenching lol

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I was originally going to go with a Pacesetter LT set-up.. After that clip though I think ARH has me sold on putting some money aside to put into them.. That is if they have a set for '05. Install doesn't sound like it is totally difficult, but I know on paper it always sounds easy. Now just to save up the money and buy the set-up (if I can find one) without the Ol' Lady finding out til I am underneath the truck wrenching lol
I believe that they do have a set that will work with that.

AS far as the install goes, it pry isnt as bad as it seems. I posted this after I ad just climbed out from under the truck and was still pretty aggrivated lol. It isnt as easy as pulling a SBC out of a Gen1 Camaro, but it is a heck of a lot easier than doing an in car cam swap in a 4th gen Camaro lol

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
Awesome write up! I will definately do the passenger side myself, and pay a shop to do the driver side and mount up the rest!
Post another video of the exhaust back on!!!

:rep:

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What a great write up and thanks for the pics.

No problem, the forum needed one anyway

Awesome write up! I will definately do the passenger side myself, and pay a shop to do the driver side and mount up the rest!
Post another video of the exhaust back on!!!

:rep:
Wheres the fun in that you sissy!!! :gy::gy:

Im looking for someone to film for me, the Corsa sounds like butt without cats though :doh:

Hell yea!!!! :rep:

thanks!!! :wavey:

·
Registered
754 Posts
Yep.. rep points from me too brother.. can't wait to get home and hear the sound.. just one question ?? no cats means this truck is not on the street anymore ???

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The truck is daily driven :)

Truck is registered out of state and I like the sound of catless better

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
would one be able to utilize any factory pipeing or would u need to redo it after installing these headers, just recently starting looking into it and was curious if there was a setup that kept most everything other than the crappy exhaust manifolds

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Im running the stock Ipipe, it could easily be run with a stock catback. I did have to trim about 6" off of the i pipe to make everything work, but its no big deal with a saw.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Awe man no paint..... I hope they stay rust free i ran into the same thing with the dipstick i dont even have it bolted to the block at the bottom as it is impossible...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts