DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 ram 1500 night edition with the uconnect 8.4 6 speaker system.
Today I was installing an amp with a sub along with a dq-61 and I tapped into the stock harness and did everything right with signal going to the DQ Speakers Going to the amp like I should and I had no sound whatsoever. Now my amp has Bluetooth and when I bluetoothed into the amp I can get all my sound to play just fine throughout all the speakers however I could not get it to play off the head unit at all. Am I missing something somewhere? Is there an amp for the non Alpine system? Because literally I spent 8 hours trying to figure this out today to just patch it back together to the way it was and leave all my wiring the amp in the DQ connected only removed the power fuse. And the second that I reconnected the speaker wires to the front harness sound came through the speakers from the head unit which leads me to believe that there is an amp somewhere in this vehicle. Because for some reason signal is not traveling from the front speaker wires that I cut to the DQ system and then to the amp but I can tell you that it works because it works through the amp. Can anyone help me?

·
Registered
2018 1500 Sport
168 Posts
Not sure if I understood it all, correctly. How did you tap into the stock harness? Was it like a bypass? In other words you unplug the stock harness from the head unit and plug it into the female port of the bypass. Then plug the bypass male end into the head unit. Then you have a harness from that that runs to the DQ? Was that how? If so, then I think it will not work.

I recently installed the Kicker Vss Powerstage. That's exactly how it hooked up for me, except mine ran down to an amp for the stock speakers (which I already replaced). Then there was also a powered sub with its own amp. Called Crutchfield and they passed me to Kicker. Kicker said I was the second one to install that set up before they were able to take it off the list of compatible for a 2018. The sub and amp by itself will work tapped off driver door speaker. But other amp for stock speakers with bypass will not work.

So, maybe I typed all this for nothing because its not the way you did it, but I figured id throw it in here. They said something changed with the 18s which wont allow it to work. Maybe similar for you.

BTW, same set up here. 2018 1500 Night 8.4 non upgraded 6 speaker crappy set up. Will be ordering the Kicker substage package. Already learned that this will work.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just traded in my 2014 express for a 2016 Sport with the alpine system. I was uninstalling my amps and speakers. I had an audio control 4 channel and Rockford Mono. The audio control amp is a 4 channel with a built in LC7i. I noticed that when they ran the high level to the amp they used some resistors. I’ve seen that on other threads too. That’s probably the problem if you ran the wires straight to the amp instead of using RCAs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hammerdown 1, I cut the speaker wires at the harness. Used 1 side as signal and the other to amp. Problem is that the signal was NOT a signal. When you replace the shitty stock speakers you will find the sound will be very low because of power. I wanted to increase the power by amping it. I am so frustrated at this point...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just hung up with audio Source tech support it is a known thing on the Ram 1500 and a lot of other Chrysler's that you have to resist it in order to create a load because the factory unit does not produce power when it does not sense a load to the speakers. So he said what they do is they use their own load resistors that I already have that did not work along with a 22 ohm 5 watt resistor that gets put on the positive and the negative side of the terminal of the dq61. He said that if I did not want to use there load resistors then I would need a 50 watt 5 ohm resistor to be wired in the same way. We have to trick the radio to thinking that it has signal so that the DQ in the amp can turn on and then sound will be generated so you can amp the system but you have to trick it.

·
Registered
2018 1500 Sport
168 Posts
Yep, that's all over my head for car audio. lol.

I can tell you that I replaced the door speakers with Kicker 3 way 6X9s and replaced the tweeters. Sound is better and louder. I still wanted to amplify. But in the way I was attempting to accomplish it (plug and play), that part of it kills all the sound. But they do have the other half of that kit in just the powered sub with amp which will come off the driver's door speaker. Ill go that route or wait to see if the come out with a work around or update for the newer models for that kit. Will have to see how impatient I am.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts