DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, just looking to see if anyone has any experience installing these things or troubleshooting. I installed them yesterday and other than being bit of a pain, we didn't really run into any issues.

Of course not until it was time to put the fuse in and watch the magic happen, or lack there of. They went into the upward position and will do nothing else. Will not deploy and the led's will not light up. I've checked every possible connection several times and all seem to be fine.

This morning I looked searched AMP research online and found how to jump the wires in order to verify the motors are good. There are 2 purple wire under the dash that go into the OBD plug that they supplied (plug and play), all purple and purple with black line. When I jump the all purple to the ground the passenger side deploys and led's work. Jump the purple & black and the driver side deploys and led's work. So what's the deal?

I also noticed that according to what I saw on the AMP website, there is not a plug and play option for my year truck, 2012. However, it is an option on the Autoanything.com website that I ordered it from. I don't know.

Please help.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Alright, my dad and I came to the conclusion that the plug and play kit was our problem. So I downloaded the other instructions from AMP to wire directly into the plug underneath the fuse box, under the hood. Results......works like a champ. There is literally no other explanation for why the steps would not work, they are selling plug and play kits for vehicles that are not compatible. I'm going to enjoy the rest of my 3 day weekend and come Tuesday, I will be getting in contact with AMP and autoanything.com. There was a $100 rebate on the steps so I went ahead and got the plug and play but obviously I will be needing a $100 refund, at least. I'll keep you all posted.

·
Registered
35,470 Posts
Well a refund is always good....If you get a chance post some pics of the install.....

Ed

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright people, I feel like this could potentially help someone in the future so I will quickly give an update on my situation. Here's the latest:

It's confirmed, I sent an email to AMP Research and asked them to verify whether or not my year truck was compatible with plug and play. They responded quickly and told me that my truck is not compatible with plug and play, only trucks 2013 and newer can utilize this option.

I've just sent an email to AutoAnything.com to get my $100 back for the extra option and to let them know they definitely have an error in their system.

That being said, my steps are awesome and I couldn't be happier with them. They perform great, look awesome when deployed, and are basically unnoticeable when tucked away. Most importantly my wife and kids get into the truck much easier.

I'm not sure how much easier it actually is for the newer trucks that can utilize the plug and play feature, but on my truck you don't even have to run wires into the cab. You tap into your door ajar wire from underneath the fuse box, under the hood. Pretty simple actually and if plug and play were available for my truck, knowing what I know now, I would not bother with it, especially for an extra $100.

So if your in the market for some AMP power steps, here's my advice for what it's worth:

-Verify what you need on the AMP website first.
-Download the install PDF's of AMP's website for both plug and play(if available) and standard install for your truck.
-Decide whether it's worth the extra money or not, or maybe even decide to have them installed for you.
-If you've been waiting to pull the trigger, do it soon. AMP is giving a $100 rebate if you purchase before the end of February.
-I have yet to find a website that will let you use a discount code for anything AMP sells, but I was able to get an additional $65 off when I used the chat feature on AutoAnything.com

Hopefully this can help somebody down the road, or maybe save them the trouble I went through.

Reactions: LowUFO

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUICK UPDATE:

Initially AutoAnything only refunded me $85 which really ticked me off considering the price increases about $150 for the plug and play. Fortunately, Tom from AutoAnything is here on the forum and took a further look into my situation. He PM'd me and said he had put in a request for an additional refund and this morning it was in my account.

Also, I checked their website and they seem to have corrected the problem.

Big thanks to Tom for helping me out because they weren't going to give me my full refund. They explained some BS in an email about why my refund was so small, but Tom made it right.

So I think I might give AutoAnything another try but it will definitely be through Tom here on the Z.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts