DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished up the install of AMP Research's Power Steps. Install is fairly straight forward but there were some minor glitches in the directions when it came to the emergency brake line bracket install.

The problem is mislabeled part numbers but no bother anyone can figure it out plus the parts for the brake line bracket all come in one bag. The only problem I ran into was when the steps would retract they got stuck and would not come out.

The instructions describe bouncing up and down on the boards to set them. I tried a few things till I realized I needed to bounce up and down just on the very ends of the boards. That caused them to adjust and took care of the problem. They work great and I love them. The lights that come with them are very small so I purchased a larger and brighter set of lights to replace them. I will install the lights in about a week.

I was missing one small bolt from the kit, I will call AMP and have them send me one. It's used in the pinch weld to lock in the bottom of the linkage. It takes two and I have one so no harm but will put the other in when it arrives.

I would definitely recommend, sorry no pics you can see them on a RAM on YouTube.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Tell us how you like them after the winter. I can see snow and ice getting up there and locking them in place and blowing the fuse.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My friend has had them on his truck for about three years now without issue, we had a blizzard here last year and he plows with that truck and was good to go.

·
8,090 Posts
Tell us how you like them after the winter. I can see snow and ice getting up there and locking them in place and blowing the fuse.
They work fine in the snow and ice. If they did freeze up or if they bind that doesn't blow a fuse. The control is program to stop deployment or retraction if there's too much force stopping them from moving. That's how you can keep them down when washing the truck to clean them up.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
They work fine in the snow and ice. If they did freeze up or if they bind that doesn't blow a fuse. The control is program to stop deployment or retraction if there's too much force stopping them from moving. That's how you can keep them down when washing the truck to clean them up.
Didn't know that, good info to know. May get them when I get my new truck as I like when they are in you have lots of ground clearance.:smileup:

·
Registered
2020 Ram Sport, night edition
1,519 Posts
Had them on my 2010 since new and absolutely no problems. Loved them. JUst trying to talk the banker in the family into letting me sell the boards on my 2016 and getting amps again. They are pricey but well worth it IMO

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Just finished up the install of AMP Research's Power Steps. Install is fairly straight forward but there were some minor glitches in the directions when it came to the emergency brake line bracket install.

The problem is mislabeled part numbers but no bother anyone can figure it out plus the parts for the brake line bracket all come in one bag. The only problem I ran into was when the steps would retract they got stuck and would not come out.

The instructions describe bouncing up and down on the boards to set them. I tried a few things till I realized I needed to bounce up and down just on the very ends of the boards. That caused them to adjust and took care of the problem. They work great and I love them. The lights that come with them are very small so I purchased a larger and brighter set of lights to replace them. I will install the lights in about a week.

I was missing one small bolt from the kit, I will call AMP and have them send me one. It's used in the pinch weld to lock in the bottom of the linkage. It takes two and I have one so no harm but will put the other in when it arrives.

I would definitely recommend, sorry no pics you can see them on a RAM on YouTube.
CMs do you have air ride on your ram? And did your ram come with factory boards already. IM curious what's involved in relocating the air tank and compressor. Amp includes the kit but no PDFs install file I can find. Also I'm wondering if the factory installed rivet nuts are the same as the amp ones or am I going to have to find a way to remove them first? I guess I'm going to find out soon as I just ordered them and will be replacing the factory tubes real soon.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No air ride, I think if you have air ride then AMP boards won't work...I might be wrong, you'll have to check.

Did not come with boards.

AMP has great tech service I'm sure they can walk you though any concerns when installing the kit.

When I went to install the AMP system RAM had already weld threaded inserts in place where the bolts go to attach the AMP brackets. So very easy and it eliminated the whole threaded bolt insert tool part of the install.

I hope that answers all of your questions, if not ask me to clarify something then and I will.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply Cms. Amp sells a relocation kit for the compressor and air tank for air ride equipped trucks. its only $36 so im pretty sure its just spacers. I was looking for the install pdf on thier site but there is not one, just wanted to see it or chat with someone who has installed one. It doesnt really matter much as i have already ordered the steps and the kit today so ill see next week whats involved and post some pics. Im positive it will be a great mod as I had them on my 2010 and found them to be an excellent product. Rep to you for sharing some info

·
Registered
167 Posts
How do these hold up to off roading? Can they take a beating?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you're slapping the bottom of the pinch welds when your off roading, then I guess nothing will hold up for ya. The motors are tucked up in the frame and the boards hug the the frame behind the pinch welds.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Product update:

Last week the driver's side board was working intermittently and the running board lights were staying on. Ran some checks found nothing and assumed it was in the small control module the system plugs into. System installed Oct. 2016

Called AMP Research and spoke to Larry, he quickly determined that it was the control module and said he would send a replacement right out. He spend plenty of time on the phone with me and was extremely polite and helpful. System has 5 year warranty.

He suspected that somehow moisture was creeping into the module somehow, even though it's waterproof, and requested when I swap it out to put it back in a horizontal position rather than a vertical one as per the original instructions. I will update this in about a week or so once I do the replacement.

Electronics are a fussy thing but the tech support at AMP Research, and I've used them before, is tops.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Replacement module arrived today, install was quick and easy. Works perfectly now. I installed the module horizontally instead of vertically. The tech. asked me to do it that way as a possible fix for a suspected moisture issue when the unit is upright. We'll see if that works long term.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts