DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying not to rehash this topic over and over and over, but I just wanted to get some opinions on the extended drain interval for AMSOIL in the HEMIs. I used to have a 2000 Toyota Tacoma V-6 that I ran AMSOIL in religiously, only changed the oil once a year, no problems and the oil was never deep black at the time of the drain. I'm converting over to AMSOIL on my HEMI, and was wondering will I see the same benefit? Will I honestly get the one year oil change out of the HEMI?:smileup::smiledown:

Would you guys trust running AMSOIL and performing a once a year oil change?

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
Thats all I run in all my vehicles ( Ram , SRT8 300 , Cadillac , 300M ) . I've gone twenty thousand before a complete changeout . I still replace the filter every 3-5k and top it off . I think Amsoil now has their own filter which they say will go 25k . I've talked with a Amsoil dealer that had over 100k on the oil that he put in it when he did his initial changeover . He contiunued to do the oil analysis and said the oil was still good . That oil was still in the car when he sold it .

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tom, that is amazing, I just ordered the AMSOIL and the EA oil filter. I think I'll still change out the filter at 10,000 though, even though it's rated at 25,000.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
The oil is good stuff and the filter is as well. It will break down a little quicker with a bigger engine though. Just monitor it when you check it and basically when it gets black and "watery" it's time to change it.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I'm not an oil engineer or expert, but don't most of them recommend that you use oil analysis if you're going to push 8K miles or more before changing? It makes sense that there probably is no "fixed" mileage minimum or maximum for oil. Useage conditions seem to be everything in determining oil life, and that seems fairly logical. This is where oil analysis comes into play. With quality synthetics, I've used 6K as my max for my automotive vehicles...motorcycles, drag cars, etc. not included. I know I'm throwing out...well, recycling...good oil most of the time, but I guess I don't want to putz with analysis. Still, I think most real experts say that minimum and maximum oil change mileage can vary greatly, and only analysis gives the true state of the oil's condition.

On this issue of oil color, I think this is an overrated and probably incorrect way to assess oil by the seat-of-the-pants. The consistency of the oil, as in very watery or overly thick, might have some visual assessment value, but a dark color is usually the sign of the oil doing its job of keeping contaminants and particles suspended in an engine that's in good condition.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TNC i have to completely agree with you on the color of oil. The blackened oil would indicate it is doing it's job. I think once I change the oil and add the AMSOIL I will pull a sample at 5,000 for BlackStone Labs. And then again every 3,000 until the Lab results indicate time to change out the oil.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
You guys are right, but most people don't want to or won't do oil analysis. The consistency is the most important thing (over color). When it is not "oily" or "tacky" anymore, and becomes "runny" and "watery" is a good way to tell just by the seat of your pants that it's due for change. Darker color means it's breaking down, or basically turning into sludge over time. The dark color doesn't really mean it's "dirty" it's just that it's breaking down.

·
Registered
15,696 Posts
first and foremost, how does this affect the warranty? i come from the days of three thousand mile oil changes and would never be able to go that long on one oil change. i change at 6000miles now but cant see myself going longer than that ever. must be getting old.

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
That was old technology and myth . The dealer ship will tell you otherwise I'm sure . But as long as you have the ability to perform a oil analysis and prove to them the oil's still good , there's nothing they can do about it . I wonder how many mechanics in their shop use a pure synthetic like Amsoil . And besides , what they don't know won't hurt them .

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
When we have these discussions about Amsoil , I'm such a believer in it , that I get up on my soap box and preach about it that I can't stop ..lol

I have a friend that is a machinist , that does alot of race engines . He has a 8 second altered that runs Amsoil . He too believes in it so much , that he runs the same oil all season long and that at the end off the season when he tears it down to be freshened up he saves the used Amsoil for his tow vehicle which is a Cummins Turbo Diesel . So whats that tell ya . I'm done now !!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tom, well said. I'm going to do just that, run AMSOIL, perform the oil analysis and be satisified. Thanks again for all your input and comments.

·
Registered
15,696 Posts
That was old technology and myth . The dealer ship will tell you otherwise I'm sure . But as long as you have the ability to perform a oil analysis and prove to them the oil's still good , there's nothing they can do about it . I wonder how many mechanics in their shop use a pure synthetic like Amsoil . And besides , what they don't know won't hurt them .
tom, new engines, new metals, closer tolerances due to better machining have certainly played a role in replacing old tech. as for the myth part, can't agree. there was a time when you couldn't go too much past 3000 miles due to oil breakdown. a long with the new tech, came such an improvement in oils, it might be safe to say that the new dino oils are as good as the synthetics from 20 plus years ago. along with the new tech, and better oils, engines have increased oil capacity which also plays a role in the longer oci. 350 engines in the seventies only held four quarts. not saying you can't do the extended amsoil thing, but its not for me. also, chrysler doesn't have to prove anything, they just ask to see your receipts from your oil changes.

·
Registered
128 Posts
What Huntergreen said is correct. If you have an engine failure and the dealer says it's your fault and will not repair it under warrany, they don't have to prove it, you do. All they have to do is say it and your stuck. You can't force them to do the repair work. You are stuck with a broke down vehicle while you get a lawyer and sue them. I don't know about you, but I can't afford that. It's your responsibility to follow the oil change requirements in the owners manuel. Keep your warranty, it can get very expensive without it.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I've run Amsoil before and sent out for an analysis. I changed the oil at 8,400 miles ran it for 11 months. I used ASL 5-30 and Amsoil's filter. I didn't need to top off. The TBN was nearly gone at 2. I can't see it going 25,000 miles EVER without doing harm to the engine. Going 1 yr yeah. Amsoil claims 25,000 miles or 1 yr for normal driving and 15,000 miles when driving severe service. Look up what "severe service" is. I bet everyone falls within that unless you are in FL and drive on hwys. all day. Severe service includes excessive idling, WINTER driving (cold starts/temps), stop and go traffic, towing, etc. Don't blindly follow Amsoil's claims. Doing oil analysis (many) will help you find out how far that oil will go in your particular vehicle, extending your oil change interval. Remember one thing, COST. Doing an oil analysis (one) costs between $20-40 depending on where U send it and what tests U want done. Amsoil oil isn't cheap, neither are their filters. There are other alternatives that are just as good and cost far less. Simply doing one more oil change with regular dino oil or cheaper synthetic oil per yr. (every 6 months) is better IMO. I change mine in the late Fall before winter and then again in the spring no matter what oil I'm using. Amsoil is a quality boutique oil, I've used it, but don't fall for all their hype.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
What Huntergreen said is correct. If you have an engine failure and the dealer says it's your fault and will not repair it under warrany, they don't have to prove it, you do. All they have to do is say it and your stuck. You can't force them to do the repair work. You are stuck with a broke down vehicle while you get a lawyer and sue them. I don't know about you, but I can't afford that. It's your responsibility to follow the oil change requirements in the owners manuel. Keep your warranty, it can get very expensive without it.
Actually that is not correct.There are laws that specifically prevent dealerships from doing what you say. If there weren't what would stop dealerships from claiming any claim was due to your negligence.

The dealership has to show that what you did created the problem. If you leave your cooked oil in there and run it well past the recommendation then you're likely in trouble but if you use due diligence, with proper fluids you will be fine. If you use extended drain oil you would be well served to get UOA at the recommended OEM oil changes. One recommendation I would give would be to make sure you get an oil sample if you have a major failure before you give the vehicle to the dealer. If the oil failed when used properly a company like Amsoil will then cover the repair. If your oil is good but your claim is initially denied by the dealer you can use the oil analysis to help your case.

But the real truth is this: major oil related failures are fairly uncommon and if your oil is clean and in good shape a claim isn't likely to be an issue if you do have a failure.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Even though the newer synthetics like amsoil probably are better and last longer, I still like to change my oil every 5,000 miles. Its cheap insurance. Regular maintenance and keeping the proof of frequent oil changes will add value to your vehicle when it comes time to trade in or sell. Nothing helps resale value so much as a great maintenance history.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
have over 211k miles on mine so far, started using amsoil years ago and i change mine between 25k-30k/ once a year...still runnin strong...

·
Registered
718 Posts
I have used amsoil in my last 3 trucks. 25000 mile with the amsoil hd filter, remember it supposed to be 25000 or once a year. Date to me means nothing. Oil doesn't break down in the oil pan. But I always change the filter at 12000 miles or around their. I have always gotten better gas mileage. Even when towing. My last truck Had amsoil in the trans transfer case rear and from diffs. I did a small test. And did everything at different times. Had the oil tested after 6000 miles and the oil came back at 98% oil life or better every time. Yes the rear gear oils is amazing. Slick as shit. The trans fluid is also super slick. Their is one oil I think is better but hard to find. I only use this in my snowmobiles. ITS called TORCO. I'd use it in my truck but like I said its hard to find. I'm not going to have oil shipped.
PS I also use the 100:1 in all my small engine 2 stroke engine's and love the increased power.

·
Registered
19 Posts
first and foremost, how does this affect the warranty? i come from the days of three thousand mile oil changes and would never be able to go that long on one oil change. i change at 6000miles now but cant see myself going longer than that ever. must be getting old.
I have to totally agree with you...I think not changing your oil for such a extended period of time would definately void your warranty, even with an oil analysis. I change my oil every 3000 miles and will always continue to do so, once my warranty is up i may go a bit longer. The last thing i need is the something happening to my engine and dodge saying "well you havent changed your oil for 25,000 miles" Just my 2 cents.

Michael

1 - 20 of 43 Posts