DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I switched my tranny filters, refilled the spin-on prior to re-installing, and made sure the plastic ring was seated well on the flat filter. I put in about 5.5qts of AMSOIL, and fired her up. I let it idle, ran through the gears before checking the stick, then added some. It was at the cold line so I tried to drive it. Slow engagement, didn't want to shift, were the issues. I put some more in it, tried again. Over the course of 24hrs I got it to the Haynes manual's 6.6qts mark and hot or cold it is in the correct range.

It's almost like the pump won't hold pressure when I'm starting, but as soon as the truck starts rolling it's perfect. Well it appears that there's a 50% rate of AMSOIL/Royal Purple 545rfe incompatability so tomorrow I'm going to have it exchanged for MOPAR +4 much to my wallet's dismay. Thankfully I haven't done the transfer case yet so I can take back the extra.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I ran Amsoil tranny fluid in my 2004 for 7 years with no issues. I have seen the old sump filter gasket stick in the valve body sometimes.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
The problem is likely that filter seal. The main sump filter seal goes into the bore in the PUMP. Do NOT stick it on the filter snout.

Did you take the old seal out of the pump bore? If not, then you have TWO seals stacked up (one in the pump, and your new one on the snout). Just remove the one from the filter snout, and make sure the snout gets pushed up THROUGH the seal in the pump.

If you did remove the original seal, then install the new one into the pump bore, making sure the metal flange is FLUSH against the pump casting all the way around (not tilted in the bore). It usually works best to use an appropriately-sized socket to help tap the seal into the bore.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The problem is likely that filter seal. The main sump filter seal goes into the bore in the PUMP. Do NOT stick it on the filter snout.

Did you take the old seal out of the pump bore? If not, then you have TWO seals stacked up (one in the pump, and your new one on the snout). Just remove the one from the filter snout, and make sure the snout gets pushed up THROUGH the seal in the pump.

If you did remove the original seal, then install the new one into the pump bore, making sure the metal flange is FLUSH against the pump casting all the way around (not tilted in the bore). It usually works best to use an appropriately-sized socket to help tap the seal into the bore.
Man, I'd love to say I have left in the seal or something but I did it just like you described because my buddy at the parts store told me to make sure the seal cam out. Then before I did it I watched the Youtubes and drove it in with a socket. That's why I'm at a loss on this one.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Best thing is to just leave the old seal in place if it's still in good shape (no cuts or damage).

I doubt the AMSOil per se is your problem. Time to drop the pan again and double-check the filters and seal. Make sure that seal flange is flush against the pump ALL THE WAY AROUND. It is very easy to get the seal tilted slightly in the bore and that can cause problems.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Best thing is to just leave the old seal in place if it's still in good shape (no cuts or damage).

I doubt the AMSOil per se is your problem. Time to drop the pan again and double-check the filters and seal. Make sure that seal flange is flush against the pump ALL THE WAY AROUND. It is very easy to get the seal tilted slightly in the bore and that can cause problems.
Thanks for the help. So would you recommend trying to save the AMSOIL? Or should I go get an ATF +4 exclusive fluid? Would a dealer be able to tell I used AMSOIL vs Mopar? I have my lifetime warranty and would like to keep it intact....if possible.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Thanks for the help. So would you recommend trying to save the AMSOIL? Or should I go get an ATF +4 exclusive fluid? Would a dealer be able to tell I used AMSOIL vs Mopar? I have my lifetime warranty and would like to keep it intact....if possible.
Personally, yes, I would recommend using ATF+4 rather than AMSOIL. I'm just saying that I don't think AMSOIL would cause an immediate, significant issue.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Personally, yes, I would recommend using ATF+4 rather than AMSOIL. I'm just saying that I don't think AMSOIL would cause an immediate, significant issue.
So it wouldn't cause an issue in the near future but you believe it would over time?

I found a pump that I can use so as to make the pan drop less hairy and would like to keep the AMSOIL if possible due to the sheer costing 7 quarts of it and ATF +4...if possible.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm showing 2 codes. One is "improper 1st gear ratio" the other is "transmission sensor".

Thoughts?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Improper gear ratio codes would normally indicate a burnt up tranny IIRC.

If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will be along to correct me.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
improper gear ratio codes would normally indicate a burnt up tranny iirc.

If i'm wrong i'm sure someone will be along to correct me.
awesome!

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
The AMSOIL may work OK, but since it isn't ATF+4 we haven't tested the trans with that fluid to verify whether it's OK. So you can re-use the AMSOIL if you want, I just don't know what the long-term effects might be. So it might work fine, it might cause issues. I can't say either way.

P0731 would be the Gear Ratio Error in 1st (which could be caused by low line pressure). Do you have the P-code for the "sensor" error?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
841 I believe...I don't have it in front of me.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
P0841 would be LR Pressure Switch Rationality, which can also be indicative of a low line pressure problem.
So it's gotta be the doughnut, right? I used a cooler filter with drainback valve, I got it as tight as I could by hand. So would you say I unseated the doughnut during installation?

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
You'll need to check both filters. Could be a problem with either one. The spin-on filter should be snug, but not reefed on super tight. I think the spec is 7 ft-lbs. Make sure the old spin-on seal didn't stay stuck to the case (so that you now have two seals jammed in there).

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Damn you're good. I can see where I pulled it to one side, I guess while screwing in the torx

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Damn you're good. I can see where I pulled it to one side, I guess while screwing in the torx
Scratch that. After replacing it I don't think I hit it hard enough to drive it in.

·
Registered
173 Posts
See! I told you I would be corrected :smileup:, and now I know. I hope everything works out for ya. I also hope the low pressure problem didn't cause any damage to your tranny. That would suck...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts