DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 4 year old truck that I love immensely is leaking in the rear - 2016 Ram Laramie - I bought 2 years ago off lease and purchased the extended warranty , but of course not covered. It's not coming from the 3rd brake light , but can't figure out from where ....It appears to be a common issue. I pay a lot of money a month for this truck and this leak will effect the resale , not to mention health concerns from mold... I think a Class Action Lawsuit is warranted ! The research shows numerous, upon numerous complaints ! Anyone in .... I'm sick of paying a ton of money for junk ! Any issues with your fog light assembly as well....junk too !!

·
Registered
6 Posts
This happened to my 2016 2500 also. it was the rear brake light gasket and the leak went away after the replacement. i was under warranty when it happened. I believe they said it was a recall or a common problem, not remembering exactly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dealer is telling me it’s coming from the window seal - not third brake light. Though I did use silicone to seal that area as well as recommended by someone on another forum . The cost they say to replace the entire unit is +/-$1400.

·
Registered
439 Posts
There is also cabin vents on the rear wall that deteriorat ,or the roof antenna ,or roof seams.Any of these can develop a leak over time .Hope you find a satisfactory solution for your truck .Good luck

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Why do people start chanting class action lawsuit over everything, the only one who makes out in a class action lawsuit are the attorneys who pocket millions of dollars while the end consumer ends up getting a coupon or a small check for $5.00 to $60.00 dollars if they are lucky.

If you have a true rear window leak go to a glass shop and see if they can ID and fix it, they may be able to just remove the rear window and reseal it for a reasonable cost. Look for an automotive glass shop in your town, Safety Glass is one company.

Don't eliminate the third brake light as the problem because the way the water leaks past it makes it look like a rear window leak in some cases.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Did you google "ram rear window leak"? Besides the third brake light seal leak, there's also a potential "leak" in two drains that are under the cables that operate the opening rear window. There are videos out there on how to clear out clogs in these drains.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’m not so sure it is a common issue. I have a 2016 3500 DRW crew cab Cummins. Purchased new. I have 120k now. No water leaks into the cab. If your leak is not coming in from the window, you might consider removing 3rd light-check seal. Not sure where else it could come into cab from rear. Usually something simple.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree with others and my 2011 RAM 1500 Larime was leaking like crazy and the dealer said it was the XM radio antenna and $300 later that was fixed. A year later it happened again and this time I got out a hose and determined it was the third brake light gasket. I bought a replacement gasket from Amazon for $20 and installed it and leak was fixed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Did you google "ram rear window leak"? Besides the third brake light seal leak, there's also a potential "leak" in two drains that are under the cables that operate the opening rear window. There are videos out there on how to clear out clogs in these draIn.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So after getting what appeared to be the water leak fixed by the dealers water expert (they applied RTV to the third brake light), I now have another cab leak. The solution this month was to replace the cabin vents. I was told by Ram Cares that I would always be able to refer back to this case and get the help needed but after calling Ram Cares and leaving my case number as well as a description of the problem, I am hearing nothing back. This is not what I would refer to as customer service. Hopefully I get a response on this forum.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So my 4 year old truck that I love immensely is leaking in the rear - 2016 Ram Laramie - I bought 2 years ago off lease and purchased the extended warranty , but of course not covered. It's not coming from the 3rd brake light , but can't figure out from where ....It appears to be a common issue. I pay a lot of money a month for this truck and this leak will effect the resale , not to mention health concerns from mold... I think a Class Action Lawsuit is warranted ! The research shows numerous, upon numerous complaints ! Anyone in .... I'm sick of paying a ton of money for junk ! Any issues with your fog light assembly as well....junk too !!
I bought a 2019 Ram Lonestar in june of 2020 , no warranty because of high mileage, rear window ?? started leaking, had 2 different dealers do water leak tests and both said to change window at cost of 1,550. after much research I went to Home Depot and bought a $10 package of home window weather stripping and replaced gasket around 3rd brake lite !!!! no leak since !!!! Do yourself a favor and take a shot with the 3rd brake gasket. It's much cheaper than 14 or 1500....

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just repaired this leak on my 2014 quad cab: as 14vern mentioned, it was the cabin vents behind the rear seatbacks (there's one behind the driver's side, and one behind the passenger's side). They're just thin rubber flaps in a 4-wide, 4-down (IIRC) configuration and I had 3 flaps remaining on the driverside vent, which was causing rain to come into the cab and made me change the rear brakelight seal twice before I finally got smart and just ran a hose with running water across the top of my truck to see that it wasn't that brakelight.
In any event, they were about $8 a piece and a 30 minute replacement including removing and re-installing the rear seats to get to them (they just pop into place). Hope that helps...

·
Registered
16 Posts
My first thoughts exactly.
Interesting to see folks with hundreds to thousands of posts on this forum criticize someone for being ticked off and looking for class action. Why belittle the fact that someone expects their vehicle to be sound enough to keep water out of it. That seems to most normal people a reasonable expectation especially on vehicles less than five years old. Whatever the reaction, it should be taken seriously and although the fix might be handily applied at low cost by the owner, it’s still a ridiculous problem that should be addressed in a comprehensive sense by the manufacturer.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Why do people start chanting class action lawsuit over everything, the only one who makes out in a class action lawsuit are the attorneys who pocket millions of dollars while the end consumer ends up getting a coupon or a small check for $5.00 to $60.00 dollars if they are lucky.

If you have a true rear window leak go to a glass shop and see if they can ID and fix it, they may be able to just remove the rear window and reseal it for a reasonable cost. Look for an automotive glass shop in your town, Safety Glass is one company.

Don't eliminate the third brake light as the problem because the way the water leaks past it makes it look like a rear window leak in some cases.

Stop it!
Stop making sense, this very minute.

personnaly, I loved the" pay alot of money, every month, for this truck" comment..

Uh, no, you paid for it when you bought it, now you are jsut repaying the fella that loaned you the money to buy it, back for loaning it to you.

Windwos Leak. That;s why replacement windows is such a huge business.
Think Truck windows are expensive, wait until you replace house windows, either buying replace windows or repalcement house. one way, or another, their gonna getcha getcha getcha.

How can folks reach adulthood and not know these things?
Liek c hanging a tire, beign sacrastic or makign a fine reuben snadwich...lost skills.
SHameful, simply Shameful

OP, take your truck in to a window outfit and have them fix it.
OR< let you interior get that nice, damp, musky I got way to mch water smell in it and see how much not fixing that window costs you at trade or resell time.

·
Premium Member
2013 RAM Laramie Crew Cab
3,441 Posts
I laugh at the owners of 15 year old RAMs complaining about an issue saying RAMs are junk because of their issue. No matter the age or vehicle there is going to be an issue. Forums make it seem like every RAM has the issue they are complaining about. Shit happens fix it and keep it moving.

Reactions: Profkanz and 14vern

·
Registered
49 Posts
“How can folks reach adulthood and not know these things?
Liek c hanging a tire, beign sacrastic or makign a fine reuben snadwich...lost skills.”

Just like, if you don’t have something nice to say, don’t say anything at all. There’s a lost skill for ya!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Interesting to see folks with hundreds to thousands of posts on this forum criticize someone for being ticked off and looking for class action. Why belittle the fact that someone expects their vehicle to be sound enough to keep water out of it. That seems to most normal people a reasonable expectation especially on vehicles less than five years old. Whatever the reaction, it should be taken seriously and although the fix might be handily applied at low cost by the owner, it’s still a ridiculous problem that should be addressed in a comprehensive sense by the manufacturer.
Crying out class action lawsuit is a bit childish with a sense of entitlement in my honest opinion. These are the same people who raise hell in public as soon as they don’t get their way at the dealership.

I have nothing further to say here. Enjoy life.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts