DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having the annoying grinding from my torque converter and it seems to be getting worse as time goes on. My truck only has 4,100 miles on it right now and I went to me selling dealer(who has already gave me much grief on prvious issues) and I was told that the truck would have to be torn down and photos of the converter taken and sent in to Chrysler for approval before they can repair the truck. They told me that it was part of the manufacture's "image program" for warranty repairs. What the crap is a photo of torque converter going to tell them? It is an internal part of the converter that is the issue I would guess and a huge oval piece of canned steel is not going to tell you much unless it is cut open! After this fiasco, I asked what would happen if the repair was denied and I was told that it would be my responsibility to pay the labor to reinstall the tranny. This is a load of bull!
I called two other dealerships and they verified this image program process as well. Has anyone else had to deal with this? What is the warranty good for if it is not going to cover a repair that they even know about and have a Star Case on? I am needless to say pretty poe'd with this situation. Any advice?:wow:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sounds like your dealer is a complete ASS!!! I just got my 2011 Sport crew in today and all they did was drive it and here the sound, although my service writer acted like it was a hassle she has ordered the parts to have it done. Helps I have known the service mgr. for years. I was told some 2012s have had this problem also. It seems to me that these dealers get paid to fix it from Chrysler regardles so they should just fix it. There is a Star Case on this problem and my guy made a copy of it for me which would help your argument. I can email or fax a copy if you wish. Good luck.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I've had the torque converter issue and replacement. Took 3 months worth of hassle with Chrysler to finally get results and have it replaced.

Take pictures to send to Chrysler for a warranty repair?? What a bunch of Bullsh#t. I keep up on the threads involving this issue and it seems the list of problem converters grows at a steady rate. So much so that Chrysler apparently has found new ways to frustrate customers. Take pictures of a part that, according to Transengineer on this forum, has been machined out of tolerance thus creating the grinding noise? How the f*#k does a camera show a machined out-of-tolerance part??

In the first place, transengineer, if your reading this, why were these parts designed in a way that there may be a potential for a major screw-up? Does Chrysler just expect people that have spent 30-40k on a truck to deal with an annoying noise every time the truck is driven? What a freakin joke.

I too, advise a call to Chrysler Customer Service.

Reading this crap makes me wish more and more I never bought a Ram. Customer service sucks and with this crap, picture taking?, shows that Chrysler doesn't want to back the crap they put on the road.

My wife is due for a new ride and was interested in an AWD Dodge Journey, I told her, "No fricken way". I'd rather her buy a 5 year old Ford or GM product.

To the OP, I truly sympathize with you and I hope somehow or someway you get this resolved. I know legal council is pricey, but don't rule out an attorney.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Had the torque converter problem to. My dealer luckily treated me well. There is a star case out for this. Click this link- http://s1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd512/rammin88/?action=view&current=IMG_20110927_225333.jpg
Print out the picture of the form MY dealer gave me and shove it in your dealers face and tell them your tired of being screwed around and fix it! Don't let the dealer walk all over ya. Show some aggrivation and keep going back until they fix it. I'm sure after you showing them that printout of the star case they will have a hard time denying ya anything. Good luck and let us know if this helps. I know me sharing this case number helped a lot of fellow members on here.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
The "image process" your dealer is referring to (if my understanding is correct) is for a TRANSMISSION replacement, not a converter replacement. We require dealers to send pictures of a wiped-out trans (inside the pan, broken parts, etc.) before we will authorize a TRANS replacement.

Why, you ask? Well, we get too many calls from dealers claiming a trans has the "pan full of metal", "gears destroyed", "completely demolished", etc. and then when we get the old trans back it has maybe one cut seal, or a stuck valve, or some other minor issue that the dealer SHOULD have found and fixed. There will be NO debris, NO broken parts, NO big problems, and we end up eating a $5000 warranty bill because the dealer was, to put it mildly, less than truthful. So now we want pictures to prove that the dealer's description is accurate.

But that should not be required for a converter replacement.

Unless maybe your dealer has a history of being "less than truthful".... I guess maybe we might ask for pictures on ALL repairs for a "problem" dealer (?), although I really don't know. Perhaps you should find a new dealer...

·
Registered
55 Posts
what transengineer states is correct. chrysler has a digital imaging process. so if you have body damage, trim or component failure take the relevent pics submit it for warrenty and they either say yea or neah. this is pretty much for all dealers but there are some that are 'restricted' more than the rest. they could be one of those but i have not had to take a pic of a torque converter! yeah sure a thrown rod, but no torque converter they could of used a better excuse! personnaly i think they are blowing smoke up your a**. find another dealer who will be happy to take your business.
i have replaced several of these crappy torque converters and never had one come back nor had to jump through hoops with chrysler.

good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
i think i may have the same problem. I have a 2012 ram express and under 2000 rpms sometimes i get this moaning noise and u can feel it in the gas peddle. I understand the truck drops down to four cylinders to save gas occasionally, but this is a different feel and noise. After reading this thread im starting to think i may have this issue dont know much about engines so im hesitant to take it in to the dealer until i am sure something is wrong. If you guys could tell me some of the symptoms of this problem i would really appreciate it. THX

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
i think i may have the same problem. I have a 2012 ram express and under 2000 rpms sometimes i get this moaning noise and u can feel it in the gas peddle. I understand the truck drops down to four cylinders to save gas occasionally, but this is a different feel and noise. After reading this thread im starting to think i may have this issue dont know much about engines so im hesitant to take it in to the dealer until i am sure something is wrong. If you guys could tell me some of the symptoms of this problem i would really appreciate it. THX
No, the torque converter issue does not affect 2012 trucks. In 2012 we went to a new torque converter design that eliminates the splined interface (between the TCC damper assy and the turbine hub) that is the source of the growling noise on the 2011 trucks. So I do not think your converter would be the root cause of any noise / vibration problem you have.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Just get an aftermaket TC and put it in yourself? Most tend to see an increase in MPG's.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I seem to be having the TC problem on my 2011 RAM, yet I took it to dealer and even had tech take a test drive with me and stated that the moaning/slight groaning is normal and that it happens when transmission is building pressure, yet I have gotten the same noise going down the highway 45-50 1400-1800rpms and I feel it as it shifts up and down. So now dealer tested it twice and tells me its all normal, which doesn't sound right to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I previousely posted regarding the TC problem. My dealer has replaced the TC 2 time the problem is now not just noise but a strong vibration when shifts the last time. If I use tow/haul mode I don'r have the problem. Dealer has been very nice but I have to take it in Tuesday for the old teardown and photo image. You would think that on of the TC that had been put in would have fixed the problem but it only got worse. God I hope I can get my truck back fixed next week. Thank to TransEngineer for all the information. I wonder if the 2012 TC will fit the 2011?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I previousely posted regarding the TC problem. My dealer has replaced the TC 2 time the problem is now not just noise but a strong vibration when shifts the last time. If I use tow/haul mode I don'r have the problem. Dealer has been very nice but I have to take it in Tuesday for the old teardown and photo image. You would think that on of the TC that had been put in would have fixed the problem but it only got worse. God I hope I can get my truck back fixed next week. Thank to TransEngineer for all the information. I wonder if the 2012 TC will fit the 2011?
Man, what happened to these transmissions in these trucks after the new body design changes? You don't hear of these issues all that much with the older Dodge design. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have not been on the forum for some time now. I finally traded our other Chrysler vehicle off and still have this pos of a truck here. I tried to trade it and keep the wife's car instead, but I had too much negative equity and just could not justify it at this point. I just had my 6,000 mile service completed and the third visit for this TC grind/groan among a host of other issues. As I suspected, I was told the same old song and dance and that it is normal from these trucks. I was told to drop the gear down to 5 and it would go away, which it does not because it is not an MDS issue that I am having. The GM of the dealership told me that he had 4 or 5 trucks with same issues and that his Chrysler service rep would not approve of a new TC for my truck because it was not the "fix" that I needed. He said that the rep had a field engineer come with him and install some sort of vibration dampeners on one of the other trucks to see if it would solve the problems, but it didn't. He also told me that the rep said that the TC was only a temporary band aid to my issues.
We then had a heated argument and I took him for a ride and he agreed that there was something wrong. We then swapped trucks and i drove his 2012 demo which is exactly like my truck other than the color and it was a night and day difference for the both of us. When we both drove back in to the dealership, I told him that the only thing that they could do to make us happy at this point was to work out a deal to trade our 11' for a 12' model. He kinda laughed and said that it was up to Chrysler to help with trade assistance since we were upside down in our truck. I didn't think it was too damn funny myself considering that I am paying for a $44k piece of crap and no one seems to care to stand behind their guarantees of warranty. I am still waiting on a call from him, but according to their sales manager, it looked like their was not going to be any assistance from what he could tell. This has really been an experience for me and if I am gonna have to take a beating on a trade, it definitely will not be on another RAM!!! Hopefully the outcome will be better than it appears right now....

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have not been on the forum for some time now. I finally traded our other Chrysler vehicle off and still have this pos of a truck here. I tried to trade it and keep the wife's car instead, but I had too much negative equity and just could not justify it at this point. I just had my 6,000 mile service completed and the third visit for this TC grind/groan among a host of other issues. As I suspected, I was told the same old song and dance and that it is normal from these trucks. I was told to drop the gear down to 5 and it would go away, which it does not because it is not an MDS issue that I am having. The GM of the dealership told me that he had 4 or 5 trucks with same issues and that his Chrysler service rep would not approve of a new TC for my truck because it was not the "fix" that I needed. He said that the rep had a field engineer come with him and install some sort of vibration dampeners on one of the other trucks to see if it would solve the problems, but it didn't. He also told me that the rep said that the TC was only a temporary band aid to my issues.
We then had a heated argument and I took him for a ride and he agreed that there was something wrong. We then swapped trucks and i drove his 2012 demo which is exactly like my truck other than the color and it was a night and day difference for the both of us. When we both drove back in to the dealership, I told him that the only thing that they could do to make us happy at this point was to work out a deal to trade our 11' for a 12' model. He kinda laughed and said that it was up to Chrysler to help with trade assistance since we were upside down in our truck. I didn't think it was too damn funny myself considering that I am paying for a $44k piece of crap and no one seems to care to stand behind their guarantees of warranty. I am still waiting on a call from him, but according to their sales manager, it looked like their was not going to be any assistance from what he could tell. This has really been an experience for me and if I am gonna have to take a beating on a trade, it definitely will not be on another RAM!!! Hopefully the outcome will be better than it appears right now....
lbre75-

I feel the same way. This 2011 Ram is my 4th new Dodge in 17 yrs., and this one by far is the most disappointing. I had the TC replacement that eliminated most of the noise, but I believe it is starting to come back as I can hear the "frisbee" noise returning. The grind/whine has not returned which has kept me from returning to the dealership for a 2nd replacement.

I've never owned a vehicle that had so many funny noises, ticking transmission when cold, clunks and rattles from undercarriage and so on.

This past Saturday my wife bought a brand new Ford Escape and I was very tempted to see what they could do for me on a trade for a new Superduty. But this was my wife's day, so I didn't bring it up.

I drove that Escape yesterday and yes, I know, an Escape and a Ram are two different animals, but I swear you could really feel a huge quality difference between the Ford and the Dodge. The Ford just felt like a better built vehicle. I just won't ever buy a Chrysler product again.

I hope you get your issue resolved or can dump that thing without too much of a hit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts