DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello i have a problem hope someone can giveme some info. i have a 5 speed manual 4x4. snowed lastweek here andput truck in 4 wheel drive. i always stop put the truck in nuetral before doing that. went to take off and heard loud pop so i fugured u joints checked them they are fine. truck wasall over the road. feltlike the truck was working to turn the front wheels so i put it in 4x4 on a steep hill put the truck in nuetral and let off brake the truck stayed there did not roll. put it back in 2x4 rolled right down hill any help????

i have jacked my truck up off ground put it in 4wheel drive let it run and everything works just a slight pop now and then i am confused i even checked my axle shaft where the collor locks them together nothing that i can see is wrong

·
Registered
462 Posts
YEOW, thats an original. So, steady bind, I'll tell you my theory, dumb as it sounds, it's the only thing I can think of... 1st, are all your tires the same size and profile?? I certainly hope so, but I'm guessing not!! 2. I am assuming that you have used 4wd previously, tho some time ago, if not, and you bought this truck from somewhere, and haven't previously used 4wd, I'd say your differentails are different ratios...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank yo very muchyou were right on with your answer i called dealer i got it from and they swapped axles before i gotit and sure enough dferen gear ratios thank you

·
Registered
462 Posts
Now, that dealer ought to have their license suspended, if advertised that unit as 4wd... If you pick up different axles, save the old ones, as the bearings, etc may come in handy, that stuff ain't cheap!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts