DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another 1500 diesel article with more details emerging...

http://www.newsday.com/classifieds/cars/2014-ram-1500-ecodiesel-might-be-truck-that-changed-everything-1.6132845

A few of the main points...

- We saw the instantaneous readouts tell us we were getting between 24 and 26 mpg. If we had to guess where the EPA ratings will land, we wouldn’t be surprised to see 20 city and 29 or 30 highway.

- Sowers thought new truck owners should expect to effectively break even on the diesel option choice in three to four years.

- We’re told the total added weight to the truck over an identically equipped Ram 1500 with the 5.7-liter Hemi V-8 is less than 50 pounds.

- Make no mistake, although the torque numbers are similar to the Hemi, the truck does not feel as responsive or feel as strong as it does when the truck is equipped with the Hemi, but that shouldn’t surprise experienced diesel owners.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Thanks for sharing it will be interesting to see how it all shakes out, but alot of possibility there.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I need to drive one! I keep thinking bad things about wanting an Ecoboost...but maybe I need to try out the EcoDiesel. I think if it had even 300 hp, people would be more enthusiastic about it. With all the marketing hype based on hp generally, it is hard to envision going to a 240 hp engine now days.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I talked to my dealer again last night. I asked about the Jeep diesels in particular, because they'll be here sooner. It'd be easy to drive one with diesel, park it, and drive the same thing with a Hemi.
He said they have several on order. Two are in storage, and more are being shipped to storage. Jeep doesn't want to release them yet, until the inventory is built up. He figured it'd be early November when I could drive one.

·
Registered
269 Posts
09hemicrew, HP means nothing. It's all about torque.

·
Registered
547 Posts
The upcoming Titan Diesel vs RAM Diesel 1/2 ton road tests will be inevitable. They are gonna be tough to read.

·
Registered
569 Posts
The titan will be closer to 3/4 ton territory. But the Ram will get better mileage. It all depends on which you want. Stump-pulling torque, or economy.

·
Registered
103 Posts
09hemicrew, HP means nothing. It's all about torque.
I agree torque means a great deal. I was referring to joe blow that doesn't know better...they may be brainwashed by all the hp marketing that's gone on in the industry.

·
Registered
269 Posts
in that case I agree with you 100%

·
Registered
889 Posts
The titan will be closer to 3/4 ton territory. But the Ram will get better mileage. It all depends on which you want. Stump-pulling torque, or economy.
Although I feel the ED Ram will get better MPG, I'm not so sure it will be EPA rated much better or even better...

My reason is simple... Just because a motor is capable of producing more power, doesn't mean it has to be produce that much power.. Doing 55mph, down the hwy, both the Titan and Ram will probably only need about 40 horses ... So the question is, will the ISV5 use more fuel to produce 40 horses?

Remember .... EPA MPG estimates aren't based on max power a motor can produce...

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
Why can I forsee the window stickers on the HDs turning into: "I'd rather be cummin' than have ED"

One thing I'm hoping for is an aftermarket company to take this new diesel and see what it'll REALLY do. A little more boost, fuel, and no emissions... it should blow a lot of other trucks away.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Why can I forsee the window stickers on the HDs turning into: "I'd rather be cummin' than have ED"

One thing I'm hoping for is an aftermarket company to take this new diesel and see what it'll REALLY do. A little more boost, fuel, and no emissions... it should blow a lot of other trucks away.
Now that is funny.:LOL:

·
Registered
103 Posts
You'd be willing to gamble your warranty on your new $40,000+ RAM?
How many people do the same with the HD diesels?... Too many people have too much money! haha. Or maybe they just don't care...

·
Registered
418 Posts
EcoDiesel looks like it would be perfect for me. Really would like an Express package with the EcoDiesel.

I find it hard to believe that EPA ratings will be near 30 mpg. They mentioned hills in the article. That probably means going down hills as well, which really increases your mpg. If the Grand Cherokee with the ED gets 30 mpg 2wd, I think the Ram will get around 28 in 2wd configuration and probably 26/27 with 4x4.

From what I've read though, the EPA seems to be a little low estimating fuel economy of diesels in the USA. We bought the Chevy Cruze diesel last month and have been getting over 50 mpg on the hwy when it's rated at 46.

·
Registered
142 Posts
people will be disappointed its going to be a slug. the aftermaket well we cant even tune 13 gas trucks yet lol

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Another just released diesel article...

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/ram/2014-ram-1500-ecodieseldriven-ar160653.html

- V-6 diesel option even delivered a (momentary) 36 mpg via the standard eight-speed automatic during a light cruise on the test route.

- Versus the 2500 Cummins diesel - which is perceptibly noisy and rough - this new V-6 is buttery-smooth as it flicks through the revs. Quick and easy, with no rattle noise.

- Sprint pace is an estimated 8.5 seconds to 60 mph before topping out at an estimated 108 mph.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts