DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Ram 1500 5.7. It has a 430RBZ radio. I installed a license plate camera, ran all the wires (correctly) installed a CHRYVD harness to the back of the radio.

I brought it to the dealer to have the radio "flashed". The service guy took my VIN number, called someone on the phone, then told me it will take about 30 to 45 minutes to activate. That took about 5 minutes and he never charged me for it.

I checked my VIN at the RAM web site and my dashboard info said the rear camera was installed by the dealer.

However, it doesn't work. My understanding was aren't they supposed to hook the truck up to a computer and "flash" the radio and the truck's computer to make the camera work?

I've read where some guys have paid$100 to have this done, so, because it was free, i'm a little suspicious that the dealer didn't complete this.

am I correct? or, I can't use a back up camera on this radio? The service guy said the radio was OK to install a camera.

any help with this would be appreciated.

·
Registered
139 Posts
when we install a backup camera, we will add the sales code (XAC) which basically adds the camera to your VIN. we then have to do what is called a "vehicle reconfiguration" which is what you are referring to "flash," this is when we connect to the vehicle and (without getting into to many details) tell the radio to look for the camera. if they didn't connect to the truck and "reconfigure" it, it doesn't know to look for the camera or even know it was added... therefor it will not work. So yes, your theory of a missed step in the process seems correct. I hope this helps and I will do my best to check back and see how you made out. good luck

·
Registered
88 Posts
Please note, I am not paid by this product.

I found a program, at some dodge dart forums, called alfaodb. It uses certain bluetooth obd scanners, but recommended is obdlink mx

From my experience with my wife's I had to change 2 dealer codes. (It lets you)

Iirc nav and rear camera present (I installed my old rbz430n in hers)

It does auto detect and do everything properly.

Imo he didn't flash it properly

1 - 3 of 3 Posts