DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so the engine has blow by infused with oil..typical....going the full duration on the oil changes has anyone seen a loss of oil that could be traced to the same amnt as being cuaght in the can?

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
I used to have a 2009 Dodge Ram 5.7L
I installed the Catch Can soon after i purchased the truck new
I had that truck for 7 years & it had 143,000 miles on it when i sold it

I emptied the catch can each time that the oil was changed, the changes were 5,000 miles apart
I don't think that there was ever more oil in the catch can to fill a shot glass

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
Mine is almost always full after 10k miles (those are my change intervals). I have a chinese made one so its not the same as the ones that are hundreds of dollars but it does the job just fine. Its anodized aluminum instead of Billet.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Mine (Billet Technologies) has always been less than half full. I empty it at every oil change as well at approximately 5k miles.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK SO WE have these varying amounts. I was wondering if it was enough to realize a consumption of oil if the catch cans weren't bringing it to our attention by accumulating it but its seems to be a negligible amount of usage

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I empty the catch can on my Hemi around every 1000-1500 miles, I could probably go twice that but letting it get full is worse than not having a catch can at all. It will fill faster if I tow.

I can empty the catch can on my Durango's Pentastar every oi change (6000 miles).

My Hemi is at 81,000 miles and doesn't burn any appreciable amount of oil between changes (6000 mile interval).

The oil in your catch can comes from the crankcase (bottom end), it is not oil that has blown by the rings (top end), that would get burned off and either become a deposit in the combustion chamber or leave via the exhaust

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Its not neccessary, but it can't hurt to have and will keep your top end cleaner.

I have Billet Technology ones on both my vehicles. I bought a UPR but was so disappointed with the quality I bought a BT to replace it. The UPR has been sitting in my layettes bin since.

The Moroso is also very good quality

·
Registered
20 Posts
Oil catch can

I just installed a Mishimoto oil catch can on my 2018 today, it wasn't hard took all of about 45 minutes and I had to stop several times to watch the youtube video install video from Mishimoto. Not all of them attach the same way. The Mishimoto ones comes with all the hardware you'll need except for some teflon tape. here are pictures of the finished product. I paid right at $200 for the Mishimoto one but the name alone is worth the extra bucks along with the finished factory look.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I just installed a Mishimoto oil catch can on my 2018 today, it wasn't hard took all of about 45 minutes and I had to stop several times to watch the youtube video install video from Mishimoto. Not all of them attach the same way. The Mishimoto ones comes with all the hardware you'll need except for some teflon tape. here are pictures of the finished product. I paid right at $200 for the Mishimoto one but the name alone is worth the extra bucks along with the finished factory look.

That is a good looking setup

1 - 13 of 13 Posts