DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just spent some time reading on a ford forum. before i bought my dodge, i did test drive a 150 ecoboost and have been wondering with rising gas prices, if i made the right choice. no doubts any more. we do not have the near the problems they are having, seems my hemi gets better mpg, more comfortable and better looking.

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
I happen to love my '09 superduty thank you very much. By far the most reliable work truck I've ever owned, that said, the ecoboost is a brand new engine, it's going to have problems, not to mention the F-150 has never been a bulletproof vehicle to begin with. But every vehicle has its issues, even our.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I talked to a couple of guys that have eco boosts, they bost said it feels a little sluggish at hwy speeds when towing there boat. One tows an 18' and the other a 20' boat....both wish they had went with the 5.0 engine instead.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have two coworkers who both drive the new 5.0L F150s. Both test drove the Ecoboost and didn't like it. Both stated it didn't feel like they were driving a truck. Ford's tried the twin turbo V6 stuff in the past, it never caught on. It might now just because of the economy but I'll still take an n/a V8 over a twin turbo V6 any day in a truck. I wouldn't want to pay to replace a blown turbo out of warranty.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
CD, a superduty aint no stinkin F150. There are a few of the ecoturds around here and every time im next to them we give it a go and they just cant hang. I would never brag about a V6 in my TRUCK weather it was FI or not...

Long live the Hemi!!!

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
My biggest problem with the ecoboost F150 isn't the ecoboost engine, it's the F150...

The ecoboost engine seems to be proving reliable so far, and is a great performer. God made turbo's. Turbo's make torque. Torque will make you smile.

All the problems I've seen have had to do with the rest of the truck, not the engine...

·
Registered
210 Posts
I wouldn't want to pay to replace a blown turbo out of warranty.
That was my concern also!

In addition, if this powertrain is so proven and solid why not back it with a similar warranty like Chrysler or GM's with the 5 year / 100k mile warranty? It's a contractual obligation to stand behind a product. Apparently they can't stand behind it. :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
16 Posts
my first dodge has become a pain in the @%! ,i would take my f 150 back in a heart beat, 12,000 miles on my ram 2011 ,transmission filter fell out left me stranded had to be towed to dealer., check engine light came on for a few days, they put an o2 sensor in, then the check engine light started again, they put a new pcm in, now week later its on again!!! had the truck for 2 months now , in the shop 4 times? my truck with the blue oval on the front wasnt in that much in 6 years, thought i would try something new.....BIG mistake.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
My biggest problem with the ecoboost F150 isn't the ecoboost engine, it's the F150...

The ecoboost engine seems to be proving reliable so far, and is a great performer. God made turbo's. Turbo's make torque. Torque will make you smile.

All the problems I've seen have had to do with the rest of the truck, not the engine...
Actually not true....they are having issues with a whole raft of the eco-engines, in top gear running at highway speeds with a miss-fire scenario, and none of the techs have any clue how to fix it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Actually not true....they are having issues with a whole raft of the eco-engines, in top gear running at highway speeds with a miss-fire scenario, and none of the techs have any clue how to fix it.
Humm...so theres no fix for it yet? That has to be annoying. I usually try to stay away from anything "new" that comes out.

·
Registered
355 Posts
my first dodge has become a pain in the @%! ,i would take my f 150 back in a heart beat, 12,000 miles on my ram 2011 ,transmission filter fell out left me stranded had to be towed to dealer., check engine light came on for a few days, they put an o2 sensor in, then the check engine light started again, they put a new pcm in, now week later its on again!!! had the truck for 2 months now , in the shop 4 times? my truck with the blue oval on the front wasnt in that much in 6 years, thought i would try something new.....BIG mistake.
Sounds like you got a lemon or the dealer doesn't know what they are doing. Have them buy it back under the lemon law. This happens every once in a while and that is why the lemon law exists. Last I checked Ford has had more truck recalls than the other two manufacturers combined when it comes to their motors. And that is within the past 15 years, so not because they have been "building trucks longer".
Why did ford not have to be bailed out? Because they HAD more municiple contracts than the other two companies. Which vehicles were the most common? Crown Vic, Taurus, and Super Duty...very few F-150's. In recent years highway patrols have bought chargers for the HEMI because they outperform the other full size vehicles by leaps and bounds, the same applies to the Ram. Look around and see how many new government vehicles there are with the blue oval on them and you'll see where I'm going with this...

Which vehicles has the military relied on?
Jeep, Ram PowerWagon, and Hummer.

I think I'll stick with the RAM. End of rant.

·
Registered
77 Posts
You are 100% correct! Ford is having major issues with this engine. Just Google ECO Boost "Shudder" or F150 misfire some time. The vehicle has a misfire when going up an incline or in 6th gear causing the entire vehicle to Shudder/Shake. In some severe cases the vehicle dies and goes into limp mode. Many have been at hwy speed when this happens. This has been going on for over a year and Ford has not figured it out yet. Some believe it is condensation/water in the intercooler or poor turbo design.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Give your head a shake if you'd even consider a eco boost. It is destined to have troubles, come on dudes a turbo'd V6 in a pickup truck! If you are considering an F150 take the new 5.0L - a decent engine from people I know that own one. But so is the latest Hemi, and to me the Ram has it beat on looks, refinement and I'll report on reliability in a year (I've only had mine a month, zero issues in 2000 miles)

And if you buy the propaganda on the eco boost, good luck to ya, just don't try to convince me.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I wonder if it ticks at idle like
my new hemi? I wish I went with the ford.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
I'll agree that new things usually have some kinks. I wouldn't say the eco boost has major issues. There are issues with every engine out there, even the hemi. You can also google HEMI shudder and find all kinds of problems with hemi and mds. The fact is, the ecoboost so far has not had major issues (no more than any other "good" engine).

And there's certainly nothing wrong with a v6 turbo in a light duty pickup truck. If there is, then someone better make a call to RAM engineering and let them know the 6 cylinder turbo cummings engines need to be halted IMMEDIATELY!!!

That v6 turbo ford engine produces more torque than the hemi at every rpm (IIRC....going from memory).

I would still buy the dodge, it's a better truck, but you shouldn't just say something sucks just because you don't like a brand. If you just don't like it then fine, but there are not "major" issues with that engine, and a v6 turbo in a truck is proving to be suitable.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
^^^^ I agree with most of what you said, but just can't get past the fact they are wringing out every ounce of power out of a small engine in a 5000# plus truck, basically I would be worried about longevity issues, there is just too much going on. Reminds me of building up an engine for a muscle car, the more power you squeeze out, the faster the wear factor to some degree. It's a calculated trade. That's one issue, the other being the money you put out for a new truck, having the mis-fire issue that has no fix. I suppose it's bad luck for Ford, I just prefer the simple "Big Block" performance versus the " Pimped out Sewing machine" engine so to speak. lol

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
^I prefer the "pimped out turbo big block" lol
Hahaha, actually just read another post on this forum, lol, they're coming!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts