DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been discussed before but here goes. I've seen a few posts at different times where people make it seem like a mistake to get a truck with 3.55 gears and not 3.92. My truck has 3.55 and it will smoke the tires just fine. Also my last truck was a Chevy with a 5.3 and 3.23 and it would do the same. I really am just curious about this. I love my truck and don't think I made a mistake. :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
917 Posts
I had a 3.55 before and to be honest was a great truck till I had to tow my trailer. 3.55 gave me good AVG/MPG that I can't deny.

I just got my 2012 with 3.92 with LSD and it is much better to tow and I can feel the truck a little stronger, and stays in ECO longer. My last 3.55 went out off ECO too easily IMO.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
3.55s with or without LSD is a great highway gear, not bad in town either
3.92s are just better for pulling & load capacity,
the LSD helps if you are on unstable surfaces or climbing steeper hills

it is all in what you need your Ram to do

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I was just curious. I never really haul anything heavier than maybe a riding mower so I guess I'm good. Maybe one day I can convince my wife I need a bass boat then I can upgrade lol.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I had a 3.55 before and to be honest was a great truck till I had to tow my trailer. 3.55 gave me good AVG/MPG that I can't deny.

I just got my 2012 with 3.92 with LSD and it is much better to tow and I can fell the truck a little stronger, and stays in ECO longer. My last 3.55 went out off ECO too easily IMO.
I am glad you are happy with 3:55s. You did'nt say if your truck is a 4x4 or not. My 2010 4x4 had 3:55s. Hated it so much, bought a 2011 with 3:92s. The Ram is a happier truck with 3:92s. In my opinion, 3:55s don't belong in a Ram 4x4.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am glad you are happy with 3:55s. You did'nt say if your truck is a 4x4 or not. My 2010 4x4 had 3:55s. Hated it so much, bought a 2011 with 3:92s. The Ram is a happier truck with 3:92s. In my opinion, 3:55s don't belong in a Ram 4x4.
Mine is a 4x2. Yeah I can see your point. It makes sense to have them on 4x4 trucks.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I know this has been discussed before but here goes. I've seen a few posts at different times where people make it seem like a mistake to get a truck with 3.55 gears and not 3.92. My truck has 3.55 and it will smoke the tires just fine. Also my last truck was a Chevy with a 5.3 and 3.23 and it would do the same. I really am just curious about this. I love my truck and don't think I made a mistake. :4-dontknow:
I am curious,

When you say smoke the tires just fine how exactly are you doing it? Are you tacking the TC off and manually adjusting gears with ERS? What type of pavement is it? What type of octane gas do you use?

I use 92 octane, TC off, and manually select 3rd gear maximum with ERS then mash on the gas WOT. The result is maybe a tiny screech of the tires occurs....but umm no smoke. It just hooks and screams! Maybe its because I only have 1005 miles on the odo...I dunno

BTW I have 3.92 gears with LSD

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I am curious,

When you say smoke the tires just fine how exactly are you doing it? Are you tacking the TC off and manually adjusting gears with ERS? What type of pavement is it? What type of octane gas do you use?

I use 92 octane, TC off, and manually select 3rd gear maximum with ERS then mash on the gas WOT. The result is maybe a tiny screech of the tires occurs....but umm no smoke. It just hooks and screams! Maybe its because I only have 1005 miles on the odo...I dunno

BTW I have 3.92 gears with LSD
It will do more than just a chirp. The term "smoke the tires" means break them loose for a little ways.It didn't have to be taken literally. Some have said there truck wouldn't do it at all. Now I can do a smokey burnout in my Charger R/T and I mean real smoke. It doesn't have anywhere near a 3.92 so why is it so easy to do?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now I'm not sure if I have a 3.92 or 3.55. The sticker on the axle housing is too worn to tell and I don't have my window sticker anymore.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hmmm...

There is a website you can go to or number you can call...give them your VIN and they will send you your build sheet. I am sure you can search to find the link or tele number

1 - 10 of 10 Posts