DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've been driving around in our 2011 Ram 1500 Sport with the TPMS light on for about a year with no reading from the front passenger tire. We were sure to check the pressure regularly.

I finally bit the bullet and ordered a TPMS sensor from eBay and had it installed a couple of days ago.

I've driven about 30 minutes, 20 of that being non-stop highway miles, but the new sensor has not been learned yet. I still get "--" for the reading for that tire.

Being an eBay item, I know there is a good chance that it's just a piece of garbage, but before I go to the expense of changing it out again is there anything I can do to be sure that the new sensor is the issue?

Should I rotate the tires to see if the issue moves? Since 3 wheels are working can I assume that the TPMS signal receiver is working? Any other ideas?

·
Super Moderator
34,749 Posts
Is it specifically for a 2011? The frequencies for the TPMS sensors have changed from year to year

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Should the part number be 56029398AB?

The eBay listing said it was a match for a 2011 Ram, among other vehicles.

·
Super Moderator
34,749 Posts
I would check a Mopar site like Stevewhiteparts.com or Mopar Online Parts. They'll have better parts info than Ebay.

MOP is a supporting vendpr here and Benny is always willing to help out members with questions like these

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well... I rotated the tires front to back on both sides and went out for a drive. 25 minutes and about 35 kilometers.

I saw the tire pressures change as the tires warmed up, but I never saw the front/rear pressures swap and I still show no reading from my front passenger side tire.

There has to be some way to force the TPMS system to relearn the sensors.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I should try next?

Thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi, if you rotated the tyres and the problem stayed in the same place, does that not mean that the receiver is at fault?

I've got the same issue, but I don't know where the receiver is..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, if you rotated the tyres and the problem stayed in the same place, does that not mean that the receiver is at fault?

I've got the same issue, but I don't know where the receiver is..

I'd think it was the receiver, but the pressures do update on the EVIC, so the signal is working for the other three tires. I don't know why they don't detect that I rotated the tires though.

From what I've seen online, the TPMS receiver is in the front left wheel well behind the splash guard.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm gonna scream!!!

So... Had the eBay TPMS sensor replaced with a shop sensor. Still no joy. Three tire pressures are reading and updating and the front right still reads "--". It's been this way for months.

I just finished messing around with the tire pressures and TPMS readings using my compressor and some test drives. The EVIC is totally backwards!

RR RL
FR FL

So for at least a year the right and left sides were swapped on the EVIC and now that I've rotated the tires the EVIC is wrong front to back as well.

Isn't this truck supposed to know when I've rotated the tires? There must be a way to be able to tell the EVIC that the tires are rotated.

*sigh*

At least I know which TPMS sensor is actually broken now... but do I go to the trouble of fixing it if the EVIC is going to show the pressure from the wrong tires?

·
Registered
25 Posts
That's made me realise that mine is probably mixing up the wheels too, which is why changing the sensor for the indicator showing '- -' didn't work. I'm gonna check this weekend, cheers!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yay! Halfway there!

So, we got all four tires reading on the EVIC. After swapping out the correct TPMS sensor and driving for about 5 minutes we now get readings from all the tires.

I changed the air pressure each tire so they were 35, 40, 45 and 50psi and went out for a drive. The EVIC partially corrected itself. The rear tires are now reading properly on the EVIC. The front tires are still showing on the wrong sides.

I guess I'll leave it this way for a little while and see if the EVIC corrects itself. If not I guess either it's a trip to the dealer, or I swap my wheels side to side. Hopefully swapping side to side won't be an issue for the tires.

·
Super Moderator
34,749 Posts
Hopefully swapping side to side won't be an issue for the tires.

Not unless your tires are directional, and I doubt they are

·
Registered
4 Posts
Found my way to this thread and I'm looking for some help! I have a '16 Ram and just put winter tires on my factory wheels. Before that I had aftermarket wheels on it that don't have sensors in them. The factory wheels read fine before, and when I put them back on last week only 2 are reading pressure. Dealer ship says I need to bring it in so they can have the computer "relearn" the sensors. I bought a TPMS program tool from Amazon but for it to work I have to put the system in to "TPMS learn mode". Anyone know if there's a way to do that - without any other tools? The videos I found online show it being done via the driver info center - but the vehicles in the videos are Chev trucks and I can't find any videos showing how to do this with a Dodge. Everything I've read online and in this thread says the truck should "relearn" the sensors by driving it - I've been driving it for a week and still have no reading on the back tires. I don't think the receivers are bad since they worked just a few months ago, but I may try swapping the tires on the weekend if there is no way to force the computer to "learn" the sensors.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts