DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evaluating 2 laramie 2013 trucks for purchase -- both 8 speed, both 4WD, one has anti-spin and the other does not.

My question is, if you rarely drive in snow (but do sometimes drive on wet roads), is this an option that would matter? Of course the reason is not cost but I really like the cherry red color on the truck that does NOT have anti-spin much better than the white one that has it. So, I'm kinda trying to talk myself into ..."nah, it doesn't matter". But in the back of my head I'm thinking that on a $48K truck, shouldn't I wait for all of the options that I need. Question is...is this a "need" option or not.

There is so much information from others on this forum, I wanted to post this as a question to hear from others.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you are mostly driving on the street I would go with the LSD. Trucks are fairly light in the rear end, especially when not loaded, and the LSD can help get the power to the tire that needs in slick conditions. It's a must have in snowy area's IMO, but it would help a lot in slick rain conditions as well.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
To me it was a need option. If you don't get it now you will have to pay much more if you decide later that you do want it.

·
Registered
519 Posts
It's a must........

for two nice even black stripes on the road:rockon:

·
Super Moderator
34,743 Posts
For the scenario you provide a conventional diff will probably be fine.

·
Registered
469 Posts
It's a must........

for two nice even black stripes on the road:rockon:
exactly. not to mention you will have better traction. also makes for smoother turns. even when you wanna go sideways :smiley_thumbs_up:

:Racing:

·
Registered
17,496 Posts
IMO, every truck should have LSD. And a 4X4 is useless without it.

·
Registered
508 Posts
water or snow or slush or light mud or unpaved roads + street tires = LSD

If "off road" to you means driving over the curb at the store, or parking on your buddy's lawn. - no lsd is fine.

if you don't want 2 tone, there's a dk cherry monotone one loaded just like mine at my local dealership.

theres also the dark gray one with a similar loadout, minus the sunroof with 60 miles of me.

there are car shippers that will do coast to coast for a couple hundred bucks. I almost went with once since the only loadout I really wanted - happened to be 5 states away from me.

*edit* it used to be no big deal to put in an LSD in a diff. couple hundred bucks, couple beers, and a buddy with a connection to a good car shop, setting the preload and lash s a biotch and I won't do it again, but basic R&R of a diff is easy shadetree stuff. However, technology may have changed on me, and I may be woefully out of date. the last diff I did was lockers in my 93 grand cherokee.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My 2cents; I went without the anti-spin option for the simple reason i have 2wd/4hi/4low/4auto. If i get into a slippery situation such as snow or i want to punch it in the rain, i just switch to 4auto and no slippy slippy. So the question is...does the non anti-spin have the 4auto option,if it does then anti-spin is kind of redundant.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I agree with the sentiment that it's not needed if you won't be offroad or in snow. I had conventional diffs for years on SUVs and never had an issue even here in Colorado but I stayed out of mud and snow that looked troublesome. I had no problems light offroading with conventional diff AWD systems in my previous vehicles. I got the Ram with the LSD so I could seek out situations that were more fun. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
My 2cents; I went without the anti-spin option for the simple reason i have 2wd/4hi/4low/4auto. If i get into a slippery situation such as snow or i want to punch it in the rain, i just switch to 4auto and no slippy slippy. So the question is...does the non anti-spin have the 4auto option,if it does then anti-spin is kind of redundant.

I don't know where you live but here in northern Ca we get a lot of black ice. That means you can come around a corner hit a patch of ice you can't see and at that point it is to late to throw the car in to 4wd. Plus 4wd is awful in the rain.

Maybe I am still stick in my days of living in the Sierra's. I just know that the worst car to be in in a low traction situation is a pick up truck with a standard differential.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I live in northern Canada myself, and I have an open rear diff. It takes a lot of snow on the roads to stick a 4wd truck. If you go off the beaten path back to say a camp, then LSD all the way. 4wd auto is what I use in the winter if its a bit slick out, only goes into 4wd when you need it.

If it was up to me, color would come way before a LSD. Just my 2 cents:smileup:

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Evaluating 2 laramie 2013 trucks for purchase -- both 8 speed, both 4WD, one has anti-spin and the other does not.

My question is, if you rarely drive in snow (but do sometimes drive on wet roads), is this an option that would matter? Of course the reason is not cost but I really like the cherry red color on the truck that does NOT have anti-spin much better than the white one that has it. So, I'm kinda trying to talk myself into ..."nah, it doesn't matter". But in the back of my head I'm thinking that on a $48K truck, shouldn't I wait for all of the options that I need. Question is...is this a "need" option or not.

There is so much information from others on this forum, I wanted to post this as a question to hear from others.

Thanks,
Mike
Had to make the same decision, two trucks with close options, which to choose. One had anti-spin, six speed, and no trailer brake controller. The other, eight speed, trailer brake controller, and open read axle.

So I asked here and got a lot of input from guys in northern climates who told me they do not have anti-spin and do not have any problems getting around in the winter (assuming 4x4).

So I took the truck with out the anti-spin in April of this year and won't know if I made a good decision until winter. I suspect that I won't have any problems since my trim package included the auto four wheel drive.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I live in northern Canada myself, and I have an open rear diff. It takes a lot of snow on the roads to stick a 4wd truck. If you go off the beaten path back to say a camp, then LSD all the way. 4wd auto is what I use in the winter if its a bit slick out, only goes into 4wd when you need it.

If it was up to me, color would come way before a LSD. Just my 2 cents:smileup:
correction. the worst car to be in in a low traction situation is a 2 wheel drive pick up truck with a standard differential.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I agree. Or even worse is a 4x4 stuck in 2 wheel drive with an open diff.

With 4x4 an open diff for on road driving in winter isn't an issue. Trust me, drove all last winter without an issue:smileup:

·
Registered
469 Posts
with 4wd on you turn wider. without LSD you turn wider.
LSD = more traction + better turning

·
Registered
74 Posts
I don't know where you live but here in northern Ca we get a lot of black ice. That means you can come around a corner hit a patch of ice you can't see and at that point it is to late to throw the car in to 4wd. Plus 4wd is awful in the rain.

Maybe I am still stick in my days of living in the Sierra's. I just know that the worst car to be in in a low traction situation is a pick up truck with a standard differential.
I live in Canada I see plenty of snow and black ice. I imagine 4wd is awful in the rain but 4auto is awesome. Not sure neither anti-spin nor 4auto will help on black ice I think that's where ESC comes in to play. But if I were to choose then 4auto over anti-spin all the way. Remember I'm talking 4auto (AWD) not 4wd,huge difference.

·
Registered
469 Posts
my truck is 4x4 with anti-spin. has 2wd, 4wd auto, 4wd lock, 4wd low.

just ask yourself would i like my truck to push and pull from one corner/wheel.
ahhh no thanks 2 or 4 all day not 1

1 - 20 of 20 Posts