DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I have a coolant leak, ill drive it about 1000 miles then I have what I think is a high pressure leak the first time it happened it blew antifreeze everywhere all under the truck on inside of the tires aswell I put a pressure tester on it and nothing no leaks changed the lower radiator hose an it stopped next 1000 miles it happened again but not bad at all in thinking its coming from the water pump seal or something and usually it happens when it's really cold out If anyone can give me advise or help that'd be great

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
Three days ago I fixed a Durango that was doing the same thing. The solution - replacing the bad cooling system cap.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As in the radiator cap? How do you know I it's bad cuz the coolant is coming from the bottom of the truck would that cause it?

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
Yeah, the radiator cap (I call it a cooling system cap because not all of them are on the radiator). If you have the correct adapter, you can pressure test it just like the rest of the cooling system. It should hold pressure within 2 psi of its rating and not leak down.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah last time I did it I think it was 16 psi and it stayed the same but when I changed the lower radiator hose it didn't blow as much out as before

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
The pressure test is what tells you if the cap is bad or not. A new one shouldn't run more than $15, give or take.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So just to make sure with the problem I'm having I should do another pressure test ad if it holds steady pressure then I have a bad cap correct

·
Registered
617 Posts
Also check your coolant tank. Mine had a crack and was leaking when hot. I replaced it with a brand new e-bay tank. Aaaaand I have to replace THAT one because its leaking at the seams where it's glued together. Needless to say it's OEM this time.

·
Premium Member
32,734 Posts
I would replace the radiator cap anyway
then put the old cap in the box that it came in & mark the box accordingly

Or you could just drive to a regular radiator shop & ask their opinion, then decide your next step from there

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's builds pressure and blows antifreeze everywhere so it's hard to find my overflow tank and hose are bone dry so the tank isnt receiving the pressure so it's getting blown out wherever it can how do I fix it to get its running in the over flow tank?

·
Registered
239 Posts
This seems like a dumb question, but is the overflow tank hose connected to the radiator? Maybe it is getting blown off once pressure is built? I know that still doesn't explain how the system is holding pressure though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts