DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is this hard black plastic and white thing. Is it a valve or something? It's leaking antifreeze on me. '88 d150

·
Registered
127 Posts
where does that lower line go to? If it goes to your carburetor, it likely has to do with an automatic choke system.

EDIT: After a little research it looks like it is a Heater Control Valve, got it from another site that had photos. It should look like this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If i say something ignorant i apologize. I wish i had a 88 manual, i got the 90 manual and can't find this thing.
I'm pretty sure this engine isn't carbureted.
The little lower line, is a wire and it gets sent along some harness along the firewall.
Also the large line i think is a part of the heater system? it goes into the firewall.,.. think to the heater core.

I'll take a wider shot tomorrow with the sun shining.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Yea everything I find has plastic integrated vacuum part. Probably no difference.Those things were pretty common to leak about every 3 years.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Yeah, you can still find the metal ones, but the plastic ones are common too. djh3 hit it too, as they deal with such hot water, they don't last forever. Often times I have to cut the hose near the body and re-seat with a fresher area, as the hose will split under the clamp. Remember to get new hose and clamps. Replace it all, cuz you can bet the hose is getting tired too and all too soon after replacing that valve, you'll be right back in there replacing hose that's split and is leaking.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, you can still find the metal ones, but the plastic ones are common too. djh3 hit it too, as they deal with such hot water, they don't last forever. Often times I have to cut the hose near the body and re-seat with a fresher area, as the hose will split under the clamp. Remember to get new hose and clamps. Replace it all, cuz you can bet the hose is getting tired too and all too soon after replacing that valve, you'll be right back in there replacing hose that's split and is leaking.
hey awesome, thank you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts