DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new guy here. I just picked up a 2006 1500 5.7 hemi.
I'm very impressed with the power its got,but hey,why not a little more!
i know there are a lot of options out there when it comes to chips and programmers,but have no idea what works the best.I guess i should mention that my budget it pretty tight for the next couple months.any ideas would be a big help! thank you.:4-dontknow:

G

·
I'd recommend the DiabloSport Predator. You can find them used and if you do, make sure the Seller has returned the vehicle it was on to stock and that the programmer is not VIN locked. Also, if they have the PC connection kit, that's a bonus!

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
Diablo is releasing the "inTune" which will replace the predator very shortly. There are several places running group buys on them and you can pick it up at a discount. That being said, the predator is my favorite, but if I didn't say look at the superchip I'd be doing you a disservice as it's probably the best programmer if you're only doing mild modifications.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
yep diablo sport or superchips are the two most common and probably the best. There's also the one I always forget about the SCT I think it is, I've heard great things about it. Superchips is best for bolt ons. Diablo has custom tuning options.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i was just on the superchip forums and there was a lot of complaining about there products.as far as the diablo goes, does the thing come with performance programs preprogramed in it?Or am i going to have to buy programs in order to make it work?

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
BOth the SC and DSP come with 3 tunes, and it's based on octane rating on the fuel required for the tune. The DSP comes with a tune for 89, 91, and 93, and I believe both SC tunes come with the same, plus an option for the economy tune. People love one and normally hate on the other, I personally have the trinity because I wanted the better custom tuning option. If I was only doing basic bolt ons then the SC is definately the way to go as it actually has better transmission programming options.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BOth the SC and DSP come with 3 tunes, and it's based on octane rating on the fuel required for the tune. The DSP comes with a tune for 89, 91, and 93, and I believe both SC tunes come with the same, plus an option for the economy tune. People love one and normally hate on the other, I personally have the trinity because I wanted the better custom tuning option. If I was only doing basic bolt ons then the SC is definately the way to go as it actually has better transmission programming options.

Thank you for the info.i plan on getting a cai and a programmer.maybe an exhaust in the future. another thing i was wondering about is the tranny programs.do i have to set this up myself or do the tranny programs come pre-programmed?

G

·
The transmission programs are already loaded on the SC units. You just pick the level of firmness you want.

The pre-loaded programs in the Predator seem to increase the trans line pressure a bit as well but there are no specific selections to make on that tool.

To realize the full benefit of your programmer, do the exhaust. More air in + more air out + optimum fuel/timing settings = more power.

·
Premium Member
15,440 Posts
but if I didn't say look at the superchip I'd be doing you a disservice as it's probably the best programmer if you're only doing mild modifications.
^^^^ Very true statement, I'm running the SC cortex and it works just fine, no complaints and lots of extra power :smileup:

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
hmmm I very rarely if ever hear anyone complain about the SC, and when they do have issues their customer support is great. Also hear great things about the diablo too, just haven't ever used it personally in my vehicles, but have some experience with their products at the drag strip. I can say though that my friends camaro ran faster on the SC 91 tune than the diablo 91 tune, no other changes. If I remember correctly it was about 2 tenths faster. I'm sure you could get the diablo to run faster with custom tuning, but my opinion is that canned tune vs. canned tune the SC will outperform. They also have tow tunes as well.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
..just say NO...stick with what the experienced users are running.. superchips for bolt on's, diablo if you are cammin/heads for the custom tuning ability...other experienced options are SCT, Bullydog...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts