DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes my 4.7 seems a bit sluggish in busy traffic and tow/haul mode really perks it up. My understanding is basically I am bumping up my gear ratio by punching the button, and I will burn more gas, but other than that, does anyone think it hurts anything to use the tow haul mode when desired and not just when towing and hauling?

·
Registered
502 Posts
I do the same thing. It increases rpm but if the vehicle is not loaded down, I can't see it doing any harm.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I figure it just change the ratio since the RPMs seem about 200 RPM higher on the tach accross the board.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Tow/Haul mode alters the shift schedule, not the actual gear ratios, but this makes it easier to get a kickdown (to a lower gear) and may hold you in a lower gear longer as you accelerate.

No, there is no problem with driving it all the time in Tow/Haul mode, if that's what you like.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tow/Haul mode alters the shift schedule, not the actual gear ratios, but this makes it easier to get a kickdown (to a lower gear) and may hold you in a lower gear longer as you accelerate.

No, there is no problem with driving it all the time in Tow/Haul mode, if that's what you like.

It just seems like in standard mode there is a slight lag between first and second gear.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I know what you mean, it seems like you have to push down the gas too far to get it to kick down and then when it does, it is actually too much acceleration then. I wonder if a tuner would help with this problem?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tow Haul

When I'm running the steeper mountains of eastern Ky. I have used tow/haul to reduce the amount of shifting. Is more relaxing? and does not seem to negatively affect the fuel consumption. :smileup:

·
Registered
698 Posts

TE, not trying to argue with you, but I swear that my truck in T/H yields the same exact rpm to speed in top gear that shifting from 6th to 5th yields. I can cruise down the highway in top gear (6th) and manually shift to 5th. It's about a 200 rpm rise. Then I can cruise down the highway in top gear and punch T/H, and it goes to the same 200 rpm rise. In either scenario it holds that rpm to speed, so it's not a kickdown effect. Now my '12 Express is a hemi, but isn't the tranny the same with either engine?...basically?

I agree on the quicker downshifts and the tranny holding a gear longer while accelerating with T/H.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
To clarify what TE said above:

In normal driving(transmission in "D" with T/H mode OFF) the transmission will upshift as follows:

1st
3rd
4th
5th
6th

You can see it skips the 2nd gear. Yes I know it's actually called 2nd prime, but it's a million times easier to just say it's a 6 speed. the 545rfe "5 speed" and the 65rfe are for all intensive purposes identical. They have the same 6 forward gear ratios. And yes the 4.7L and 5.7L share the same transmission.

When in T/H mode, the transmission will upshift as follows:

1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th

Hope this clarifies it a bit.

·
Registered
31 Posts
To clarify what TE said above:

In normal driving(transmission in "D" with T/H mode OFF) the transmission will upshift as follows:

1st
3rd
4th
5th
6th

You can see it skips the 2nd gear. Yes I know it's actually called 2nd prime, but it's a million times easier to just say it's a 6 speed. the 545rfe "5 speed" and the 65rfe are for all intensive purposes identical. They have the same 6 forward gear ratios. And yes the 4.7L and 5.7L share the same transmission.

When in T/H mode, the transmission will upshift as follows:

1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th

Hope this clarifies it a bit.

Thanks for sharing!!

I swear I've learned more about my truck in the past week I've been on this board than I have in almost the year I've had it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I tried this out when I got home From work today, and when you are in T/H mode your truck doesn't switch to ECO so the throttle response it better.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
^FYI "eco" mode doesn't do anything, it's just a glorified vacuum gauge. At least with the 4.7L anyway, I'm not sure if with the hemi it means it's in MDS mode.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
^FYI "eco" mode doesn't do anything, it's just a glorified vacuum gauge. At least with the 4.7L anyway, I'm not sure if with the hemi it means it's in MDS mode.
Yup, thats all it is, as snrusnak says, its just that a gloridied vacuum gauge, Same thing with the hemi, it just indicates your driving the truck in the most Eco way, even you disable the MDS it will still show you Eco when the vacuum sensor see's its not working hard.

·
Registered
72 Posts
thank god you guys said that i was under the impression that when the ECO popped up on my dash it meant i was loosing cylinders..good to know that the T/H mode disables that..anyone care to elaborate exaclty what that ECO indication means what do you mean by glorified vaccum gauge?

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
It means you are driving in a fuel efficient manner(light throttle).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts