DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
ARE Z series on my 14 Sport. Really like the power lock that unlocks with the power door locks. Found this one on Craigslist, just needed a color change.

If you have a choice buy the fold-in front window. Makes cleaning the window and the truck rear window easy.

·
Registered
159 Posts
ARE Z series on my 14 Sport. Really like the power lock that unlocks with the power door locks. Found this one on Craigslist, just needed a color change.

If you have a choice buy the fold-in front window. Makes cleaning the window and the truck rear window easy.

How much do these ARE Z series go for new and used?

·
Premium Member
34,751 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
How much do these ARE Z series go for new and used?
I believe the base price new is around $2200. Used can be all over the map but I found mine in Northern Michigan. The owner had a tough time selling it so it went for $400 off craigslist. Cost the price of paint and power lock assembly to upgrade so about $750 on my truck total.

·
Banned
1,084 Posts
I also have an ARE Z-series, also had to repaint it to match my truck, also paid $400 on Craigslist.

When I inquired these were around $900 delivered to the US, only available in short bed (5.5')

·
Registered
159 Posts
I believe the base price new is around $2200. Used can be all over the map but I found mine in Northern Michigan. The owner had a tough time selling it so it went for $400 off craigslist. Cost the price of paint and power lock assembly to upgrade so about $750 on my truck total.

Thanks, I seen one used advertised for 1200 and thought that was around new price. Guess I was a little off. Still seems high for a used cap.

·
Registered
159 Posts
you could offer less.

I may shoot him an offer and see what happens. The cap is black and I have a green pearl truck so black might work ok without getting it repainted. I really dont need a high end cap or cap at all but the idea is very appealing. I thought it would be convenient for what I use the truck for. It has a rack on top for carrying kayaks, ladders, canoes, etc.

Ive been looking at tonneau covers and I like the Undercover Flex and the assorted Bak line offered. The G2 and Fibermax look nice.

Im undecided what would work best.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Thanks, I seen one used advertised for 1200 and thought that was around new price. Guess I was a little off. Still seems high for a used cap.
Remember the Z-series is the top of the line ARE cap. I think you can buy new caps in the $1200 to 1500 area that are quite serviceable. I had a Jason once on my Silverado and it was fine. Also look around at dealers for seconds. My local dealer had a Leer mid-range cap for $900 installed new as a second, and I couldn't find a darn thing wrong with it.

My truck had the OEM Mopar hard tonneau on it but it just didn't have the room I needed so I sold it for the ARE Z.

I've seen used quality caps around here for $1000 and up but they just don't sell, probably because you are getting close to a new lower grade cap and you don't need to paint it.

Lastly, don't spend that much money on a wrong color cap that you'll get tired of looking at down the road.

·
Premium Member
34,751 Posts
There was a dude who drove around here with a 4th gen Ram and either the truck was Flame Red and the camper shell was Deep Cherry or the truck was Deep Cherry and the camper shell was Flame Red. It was kinda frustrating to look at

·
Registered
159 Posts
Remember the Z-series is the top of the line ARE cap. I think you can buy new caps in the $1200 to 1500 area that are quite serviceable. I had a Jason once on my Silverado and it was fine. Also look around at dealers for seconds. My local dealer had a Leer mid-range cap for $900 installed new as a second, and I couldn't find a darn thing wrong with it.

My truck had the OEM Mopar hard tonneau on it but it just didn't have the room I needed so I sold it for the ARE Z.

I've seen used quality caps around here for $1000 and up but they just don't sell, probably because you are getting close to a new lower grade cap and you don't need to paint it.

Lastly, don't spend that much money on a wrong color cap that you'll get tired of looking at down the road.

Thanks Bobs, great advice

·
Registered
419 Posts
Buy the correct color or you may regret it when you get a paint estimate. Quality paint, prime & prep is expensive unless you can do it yourself.

·
Banned
1,084 Posts
Buy the correct color or you may regret it when you get a paint estimate. Quality paint, prime & prep is expensive unless you can do it yourself.
Eh, I have like $50 in my paint job. Bunch of stripper, bunch of sand paper, bunch of solvent, bunch of primer and bunch of rustoleum.

It's a camper shell not a Rolls Royce. I throw building materials, garbage, furniture, plants, tools, camping gear and take my wife to pound town in it (usually not all at the same time). :bananalama:

I guess the truck has white privilege because its paint color made it extra easy to match, but it really would have been about the same effort and not much more cost to buy matched paint for another color.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Eh, I have like $50 in my paint job. Bunch of stripper, bunch of sand paper, bunch of solvent, bunch of primer and bunch of rustoleum.

It's a camper shell not a Rolls Royce. I throw building materials, garbage, furniture, plants, tools, camping gear and take my wife to pound town in it (usually not all at the same time). :bananalama:

I guess the truck has white privilege because its paint color made it extra easy to match, but it really would have been about the same effort and not much more cost to buy matched paint for another color.
It can certainly be done for that but the true cost of the materials for a bc/cc paint job to match the truck are more in the $220 range using the lower cost paints. Probably $500-800 in a shop.

White comes in many shades and it very easy for the eye to pickup subtle differences so it's not easy to match from available spray cans. PW7 (Bright White) is very specific to Rams and needs a white tinted primer to minimize the number of coats required to match the truck.

I'm not about to put a non-matching cap on a $50K stickered truck in my possession whether it's another color or just a shade off in white. So the $220 was what I spent. I stripped and shot it myself.

·
Registered
15,700 Posts
op, i would get a spray in liner, if you dont already have and wait till you find a cap that works for you or you can afford the one you want. btw, i have found on 4 trucks, always had a cap/topper, they are good for a 2mpg loss.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts