DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
2,236 Posts
Ive never had a set of coopers before, but when i bought my truck used, the dealer put on 4 Cooper Discoverer H/T plus. No real snow in my area yet (one day with a slight dusting with some slush on the road), but so far im pretty impressed with the Cooper tire.

Previously I had Nokian Vatiiva's on my 96 2 wheel drive Ram, and Ive got to say, i think they were the best truck tire I've ever had. excellent tread life and they were awesome in the snow a(nd i never had any weight in the back). With the 4x4 in the new Ram, im sure i could be driving on slicks and still make it in the snow.

· Registered
73 Posts
No report for snow performance yet but wet weather is so much better then stockers!
My neighbors son mounted them and was not able to balance due to the chrome clad wheel, i dont even feel a wobble at any speed!
Im looking for some new wheels now, one got alittle tweeked from removing the old tire but i wont get in to that now :sad:
Just a great looking tire with a nice deep tread :smiley_thumbs_up:

· Registered
717 Posts
Got a little snow time on the AT3s lately. Have about 3 inches or so on the ground. Yesterday 3" on the unplowed paved road to town. The road is paved but very rough and uneven and very steep. Took the truck for a drive to test the tires out. I kept it in 2WD as long as I could. I had to put it in 4X4 once so as to not scare the wife on a long, snow covered uphill. Tires did very good considering they are on a 23ft long truck and are E-rated. The newly installed lockers kept both rear tires spinning together to push me through the snow. I also put it in 4X4 to get up my steep gravel driveway with lots of ice cuz' in 2WD I was stuck. I'll never buy snow tires for this truck. The AT3s work well.

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the replies guys :smileup:. ive been considering these tires and with them being "new" i wanted to hear how they performed in the winter. thanks again

· Registered
14 Posts
Got a little snow time on the AT3s lately. Have about 3 inches or so on the ground. Yesterday 3" on the unplowed paved road to town. The road is paved but very rough and uneven and very steep. Took the truck for a drive to test the tires out. I kept it in 2WD as long as I could. I had to put it in 4X4 once so as to not scare the wife on a long, snow covered uphill. Tires did very good considering they are on a 23ft long truck and are E-rated. The newly installed lockers kept both rear tires spinning together to push me through the snow. I also put it in 4X4 to get up my steep gravel driveway with lots of ice cuz' in 2WD I was stuck. I'll never buy snow tires for this truck. The AT3s work well.
Ditto^ .............. I just put 285/70/17 121/E AT3's on my 2500 and did 300 miles in that mess Friday. Ride and traction was great and in 4wd I think it would go anywhere. I'm happy ....... they look good too!

· Registered
717 Posts
Another update on the AT3s. I did some ATV riding yesterday. I pulled into this plowed field to turn around and tested the tires a little in mud. The mud was not at all deep (2-3" max) but the soil was frozen underneath. Here is a pic of my truck, trailer, and RZR. It doesn't look it from this pic but... I'm stuck! Even with the new lockers I was spinning all four tires and going nowhere! The tires were loaded up and didn't clean out too well. The trailer was hung up a little too. I gotta say I'm a bit disappointed in the tire. Kinda wished I would have bought the Duratracs or even the Nitto Trail Grapplers instead. I would say that MUD is the AT3's downfall. It does do well everwhere else. I guess mud is in the AT-4 realm. On a positive note I did get pulled out by another Dodge Ram 2500 diesel.

· Registered
754 Posts
WOW The Coopers were on my list when the goodless wear out in 34k. Had the same tires on my 08 and that's all the HP's are good to. Had Mich. AT2's on the 08 after trying Goodyear ATS they cam off as a warranty claim after less than 30k. The Mich AT2's are a great tire but out on the hunting lease in over 3" of mud they are not worth crap. My biggest problem is my 36 mile commute on the interstate to work every morning and that is 90% of my driving. Hunting season is only 3 months long and mostly weekends.

· Registered
73 Posts
I still like the tire :smileup: Nice deep thread, probably performs just as good or better then a bfg at or nitto terra grap!
I paid 800 installed for my 20's so im happy.
They are nice and quite on the highway and like was said they worked well for me in the snow we had.

· Registered
717 Posts
The AT3 is a really good tire, just try to stay out of the mud with them. If I had to do it over again I'd probably get the Nitto Trail Graps. or other mud tread tire and just put up with the noise on the hwy. and get some winter tires for when the snow flies if the mud tires were bad in snow. Hopefull getting my winch installed in a week or 2 so I will feel more secure with the AT3's when I'm alone in the middle of BFE with noone to pull me out and no cell service!

· Registered
3 Posts
I live in S GA so snow is not an issue, but mud and red clay can be just as slick. I really like me AT3's. What impresses me the most with the tires is how quiet they are at highway speeds for such an aggressive open shoulder tread design. I have run nothing but the Cooper Discover HT's prior to this, but I am now a convert.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.