DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought the truck the first thing I thought when I seen the tires was these things are gonna throw rocks like crazy, they have the 4 thread lines across the tire which are very deep. And sure enough Ive had the truck for 3 weeks now and I have a couple rock chips on the truck and I only really do highway driving, not like I did a 4 wheel drive burn out in the rocks, and I can always hear a rock or 2 stuck in the tires because it sounds like tap dancing while driving down the road, its a pretty annoying problem and you would think Ram would have picked better stock tires for these trucks, not ones that cause rock chips.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Any tire would pick up rocks, but im in with you 100%. My rear bumper on the corners were getting eaten alive!

So Bought my molded mud flaps right away but you can still hear the little rocks flying. You really notice it from driving one vehicle on the same road compared to another. They were doing construction on a stretch of highway here and took the ram, also the nitro threw it multiple times.... I didn't want to.

Huge difference

·
Administrator
2008 RAM 1500 ST 3.7L Magnum V6 PS2
54,095 Posts
My stockers are Goodyear's and they still throw rocks like crazy. I know the parking lot where I work does NOT help any at all but I'm tired of a bunch of rocks wearing the bright silver metallic paint that is now missing from my truck. :(

- Cajun

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea I had brand new goodyear wrangler silent armors on my old truck when I traded it in, and the tread was such that it was real good about not picking up rocks, and then I get my new truck with these tires and I cant believe I've already got rock chips on a 3 week old truck :(

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I have the Silent Armors on my truck and you are right the tires dont really pick up rocks. My previous truck had BFG TA KO's on it and if I ever went into a gravel area the first thing I would do is pull over and pick out all the rocks picked up.

The local dealer here has two white 2011 2500 Rams from last years plowing that they still have on the lot and are selling as new. I asked them how much, just checking to see if they were giving them away. They quoted me retail less the incentives that were being offered at the time. I looked over the trucks and they were full of rock chips and rust starting on them. I lost any interest due to that.

I would be looking at flares or something to protect the openings.

·
Registered
236 Posts
When I bought the truck the first thing I thought when I seen the tires was these things are gonna throw rocks like crazy, they have the 4 thread lines across the tire which are very deep. And sure enough Ive had the truck for 3 weeks now and I have a couple rock chips on the truck and I only really do highway driving, not like I did a 4 wheel drive burn out in the rocks, and I can always hear a rock or 2 stuck in the tires because it sounds like tap dancing while driving down the road, its a pretty annoying problem and you would think Ram would have picked better stock tires for these trucks, not ones that cause rock chips.
Just curious which Michelin tire you have on your Ram. I'm a former long time Michelin employee. Goodyear Wranglers were OEM on my Ram and I've not experienced any chips yet, though I do avoid driving on gravel roads.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts