DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of these wheels:

The clear is yellowed and chipped and basically an eyesore every time I look at my truck.

I live in Arizona (no road salt, etc) - was thinking about stripping and polishing them. Anyone ever do that? Got photos?

:smileup:

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,249 Posts
Sorry, no experience with that process myself. Have you considered plasti-dip? I've seen that done a lot on alloy wheels that were a lil banged up. Some black wheels would look pretty good I think on a white truck, just an idea.

Just curious though, why are you running 3rd gen wheels? What happened to your originals? I'm sure there's a thread I missed where you explain this.....

·
Banned
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Just curious though, why are you running 3rd gen wheels? What happened to your originals? I'm sure there's a thread I missed where you explain this.....

My Tradesman came with 17x7 steel wheels and paper-thin street tires. Since I was buying new tires right away anyway it made the most sense to just sell the steel wheels and nearly-new tires as a package. People almost give away OEM wheels if there isn't good rubber on them so the real value there was in the tires and the buyer not having to pay for mount and balance like they would if they bought the tires alone.

I picked these 17x8 3rd gen wheels up for close to free, swapped the TPMS in, had Coopers mounted and put the OEM stuff on craigslist - so the net cost of going from OEM tires to STMaxx's was under $200

I've seen some pretty cool results on Youtube from people polishing up other clear coated wheels and I know from experience that around here in Phoenix if you have naked aluminum wheels you can keep them looking fresh all the time by just wiping them down every time you wash your truck, they don't even really need to be polished more than once every 5 years or so - almost no rain, no snow or salt, the only thing that really gets into the surface is maybe some brake dust or if a sprinkler hits them.

Maybe for some of the same reasons that shiny wheels stay shiny here, dipped wheels always end up looking crusty and dull around here, like old sun-baked bedliner - probably wouldn't look any better than the sun baked clear coat on 'em now.

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,249 Posts
Makes perfect sense to me. Well, good luck if ya decide to tackle this project. I'll be curious to see how it turns out.

·
Premium Member
34,751 Posts
Interested as well; polished alloy is my favorite wheel finish.

Would you get them re-cleared?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.