DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for some new rims and was originally thinking 24 were the way to go but now my local rim shop is trying to get me to do 26's. I'm not so sure about it, but thought I would see if anyone here was running them.
What's your opinion 24 or 26?

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
I wish I'd gone with the 24s instead of my 22s. I know one person running 26s with 30 series tires and it looks good. A few big questions you need to ask yourself about 26s is what are the road conditions like? Will I ever take it off pavement? and Can I afford the tires? Rough or poor road conditions will feel like you're riding a freight train and can end up causing damage to the wheel a lot easier than with 24s. If you go off road, don't even bother looking at 26s as 24s will leave you with the minimum amount of sidewall I'd contemplate going off road. And lastly, the rubber for 26s is rare, and therefore more expensive, you are also limited in manufacturers and selection.

·
Registered
206 Posts
+1 to CdNoilRam's post. I am running 24s with 295/35R24 rubber and though the ride is very good, it is still compromised. Knowing that, I wouldn't put a 26" or bigger wheel on a truck that is a daily driver. The streets where I live have a decent amount of pot holes and 26" rubber is much more expensive.

There is a guy who lives near me with a 3rd gen Ram on 26s and it looks great. But, if you put our trucks next to one another my rims look bigger because the drop kit I have helps to fill out the wheel wells. Have you thought about a drop w/ 24's?

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I think the 24 will be better for me. I would like to still run a 40 series tire if I go with the 24. My plan was the rims and a ground force 2-3 drop. Will I have any rubbing with that setup? I'm not 100% sure which rims yet but I've narrowed it to kmc slides or the new d2 either one in black

·
Registered
206 Posts
My truck has that Ground Force kit and the driver side rim does rub at full lock when turning to the right. It is rubbing on the inside where the tire makes contact with something. Others have said that it can be corrected with some kind of spacer, though I don't know which kind or where it would go. Another thing to check on is the backspacing to prevent this from happening in the first place. The rim shop should be able to figure this out for you prior to purchasing.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I put the McGaughy 2/4 kit on my 2009 with 26s. I don't take my track off road at all. It's just my grocery getter and my way back and forth to work. I have had it on the highway going 80 from NC to GA with no issues at all. :smileup:

Attachments

·
Registered
478 Posts
I put the McGaughy 2/4 kit on my 2009 with 26s. I don't take my track off road at all. It's just my grocery getter and my way back and forth to work. I have had it on the highway going 80 from NC to GA with no issues at all. :smileup:
I like your side hemi emblem as well

1 - 9 of 9 Posts